PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks ladies :) I have once felted a gorgeous FI jumper, many years ago. It went from fitting my 3 yr old to fitting his teddy lol. But sod's law, if I try to do it deliberately then it won't work!
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    cbsexec wrote: »
    EmberJ - I am not such an experienced knitter as those on this thread but I have knitted baby cardigans in garter stitch. They are easy patterns and some you knit all in one piece including sleeves. Sorry dont have links to the patterns but if you put easy baby cardigans into Ravelry or google they will come up. They are free patterns too.

There are lots of patterns for these with both Bergere de France and Debbie Bliss books.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • spirit
    Options
    Everyone must be busy knitting away!

I'm in between at the moment. It's still all babies here. My nephew's wife, my friend's cousin and his husband are adopting a newborn, my tiler's son's girlfriend is expecting in January. Tiler is coming here tomorrow to plaster my ensuite and I want to hand it over then. That is done in Bergere de France 'Teddy'. It's done pretty much all in one and garter stitch, so is easy for a beginner.

I've just (re) finished a D.B. baby cardigan. I say re finished, I wasn't happy with the arm bits so undid down to there.

I'm waiting for 2 balls of D.B. aran in taupe colour to arrive. The rest of the order from Loveknitting arrived, but this shade was on back order - now been despatched to me.

in the meantime I'm twiddling my thumbs!

Kittie, I bought some Rico baby too. Do you use any DK pattern or a Rico one?
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • mardatha
    Options
    I used to love Bergere and knitted a lot of their baby stuff for my lot. Their patterns were so simple yet so perfect somehow, and the wool was great to knit.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    spirit wrote: »
    Kittie, I bought some Rico baby too. Do you use any DK pattern or a Rico one?

I loved using that rico baby. I just use any dk pattern and a size smaller needle as I knit loose. I finished one batch with 3 balls, all for a 7 year old, a nice cardi, a hat requested with a bobble and a hat for her doll. The bobble took longer than the hat

I am back to etsy yarn hitchiker, having frogged one that was quite honestly at too loose a tension. I am back to it and using 14" karbonz needles as it is far quicker than using the circulars because of the kink in the cord. I never got shoulder ache using the circulars but am getting an aching left shoulder with the long thin needles. The 3mm karbonz are not very comfortable to hold for a long time but I haven`t got any wooden in that size and the circulars are US sized and not 3mm. I want to get this finished in the next two days as I have a fleece dressing gown cut and hanging on a chair, ready to sew and the place looks cluttered

Related to knitting, I bought a present to myself for christmas, plus I need a project as it is quite a lonely time for a widow. Another spinning wheel and it is all in pieces so will take me over a week to do the woodcare and assembly. Wee peggy by ashford. I have so much fibre to spin, beautiful blends
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone have any bright ideas on keeping fixed circular needles sorted, compact and tidy? I was sorting mine yesterday, collected over many years and am delighted at discovering that I have a couple of knitpick 3mm . Hitchiker are now on those and I can keep my arms low, hence knitted for a long time last night with no ache whatsoever. The points are wood, which really are kinder on my hands

I suppose this could bring in knitting posture and comfort. I had a nice relaxer chair but could not knit in it at all as the arms were too high and too close together. I looked for a long time but have found a good relaxer, I like to bring my legs up, with a backrest that can be in any position and I can sit straight or slightly sideways. I have a small trolley next to me, the radio remote and my house telephone. That to me is pretty perfect. I could not be comfortable knitting in a normal chair. I suppose the next best thing is sitting sideways on the sofa. I also have another chair in my snug with the tv, this is fabric with wide, low sweeping arms and I use a footrest and I do alternate between the two chairs. I would be interested in how you get comfortable for knitting
  • plumduff55
    Options
    Hi, I never knit in wool that is finer than double knitting and always with straight bamboo needles so I am moving out of my comfort zone as I am going to knit the hitchhiker scarf for myself after Xmas. I need advice on which wool and circular needles to buy. I cannot wear 100% wool (except merino) next to my skin, but as this is my Xmas present to myself I dont mind upping my budget a bit. I will order the wool and needles online and not open till Xmas day :j

I took the knitted things through to the grandkids on Monday and all were loved EXCEPT the fingerless mitts for dgd - it would have to be the day that the temp stayed at -3 all day and poor little dgd fingers were frozen so she timidly asked me if I could take them to my home and sew the holes :rotfl:. With hindsight I should have thought of that so I have them home to unpick the cast off edge and knit a closed top. Dgs absolutely loved his Star Wars hat and even kept it on while having dinner.

Kittie, I sit near the centre of my settee with a cushion at my back and find this quite comfortable. When I bought my settees a year ago that was one of the main things I looked for - a settee that would be comfortable when knitting :)

Happy knitting xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • spirit
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    Does anyone have any bright ideas on keeping fixed circular needles sorted, compact and tidy? I was sorting mine yesterday, collected over many years and am delighted at discovering that I have a couple of knitpick 3mm . Hitchiker are now on those and I can keep my arms low, hence knitted for a long time last night with no ache whatsoever. The points are wood, which really are kinder on my hands

I suppose this could bring in knitting posture and comfort. I had a nice relaxer chair but could not knit in it at all as the arms were too high and too close together. I looked for a long time but have found a good relaxer, I like to bring my legs up, with a backrest that can be in any position and I can sit straight or slightly sideways. I have a small trolley next to me, the radio remote and my house telephone. That to me is pretty perfect. I could not be comfortable knitting in a normal chair. I suppose the next best thing is sitting sideways on the sofa. I also have another chair in my snug with the tv, this is fabric with wide, low sweeping arms and I use a footrest and I do alternate between the two chairs. I would be interested in how you get comfortable for knitting

I feel your pain Kittie, it's almost like you could do with a nursing chair? My right arm has been aching for months. That's entirely my fault mind you. I had a habit of sitting in a garden chair in the summer to do my knitting. Like you say Kittie, the arms were too high. This time of year I sit on my sofa but not resting on the arms.

I plan on moving next year - to be near my daughter who is expecting my first grandchild in June. So lots of knitting to do yet. Until I've found a house and know what space I have, am loathe to buy new furniture.

I'm also finding it difficult thinking of things I can knit for this baby - until we know the sex. I've made 1 blanket and about to do another when my latest order arrives. There's only so many plain white cardigans the baby will need eh!
  • mardatha
    Options
    Kittie I sit on the recliner with a firm cushion at the small of my back, and a cat on my feet to steady them (lol!). I'm in the corner next to the chimney breast and the alcove beside me is shelved and contains all my stuff. I keep my needles in see-through plastic rectangular boxes like giant tupperwear, I also keep my stash in them. They stack on the 2 bottom shelves beside me.
    Plumduff I always knit 4ply and sometimes lace weight. Recently cept out of the comfort zone to do myself an aran weight waistcoat. It's finished apart from picking up round the armholes, but I need to finish the xmas pressie knitting first. Re the Hitchhiker, I'm doing my next one, for me, in a 150g cone of Colourmart silk (was on sale) in ruby red, alongside a strand of Katia Air Lux, which is gorgeous. Got it from Loveknitting. So the 2 strands together will be just over 4ply, plus soft and silky. I hope! lol
    http://www.thisisknit.ie/shop/image/cache/data/yarn_brands/katia/airlux/airlux63-500x500.jpg
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    That sounds lovely, mardatha. I've been eyeing Katia yarns for a bit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback