PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• SouthCoastSkies
    Options
    WolfSpirit wrote: »
    I don't see any flaws in them.
    I like the look of the last ones, are they made of glass?

I love them too - they're actually made from shell, so they're really light. They have a soft sheen to them that feels lovely to hold :)
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    I think they are all lovely.
  • purpleybat
    Options
    hello fellow knitters,
    I have a question.....
    I'm knitting a lacyish sweater for myself and tonight i've managed to break size 4mm circular needles, will it make a huge amount of difference if I use a 4.50 needle? I don't mind if it knits up slightly bigger. I just don't want to wait til Tuesday when I can get to the craft shop.
    many thanks :)
  • plumduff55
    Options
    Hi Purplebat, using a larger needle will make it slightly bigger and the lace holes will also be ever so slightly bigger as well. It might not be too noticeable. I take it the body is being knitted in one piece. I've done this but it was a garment that I had knitted the back, left it for a year and then forgot what size of needles I'd used. By the time I realised my mistake I was NOT going to rip it back and nobody noticed it except me :rotfl:

Hope this helps xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • purpleybat
    Options
    plumduff55 wrote: »
    Hi Purplebat, using a larger needle will make it slightly bigger and the lace holes will also be ever so slightly bigger as well. It might not be too noticeable. I take it the body is being knitted in one piece. I've done this but it was a garment that I had knitted the back, left it for a year and then forgot what size of needles I'd used. By the time I realised my mistake I was NOT going to rip it back and nobody noticed it except me :rotfl:

Hope this helps xx

thankyou so much :)
    I thought it would be okay as I'm quite a tight knitter, I was just a bit unsure cos of the lace pattern.
    I have 3 days before I go back to work and so wanted to make serious inroads into it.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    It will probably show if you do as the bigger the size the bigger the difference from one size to the next. The only way to know is to knit a square in the lacy pattern and see how much bigger it makes it.

It is so annoying when that happens isn't it. I broke one of my 4mm. The end came off. I did not use it for a little while so it cooled down (its surprising how much they swell when you have been knitting for a while . I managed to get the end back on once it was cold.
  • purpleybat
    Options
    It will probably show if you do as the bigger the size the bigger the difference from one size to the next. The only way to know is to knit a square in the lacy pattern and see how much bigger it makes it.

It is so annoying when that happens isn't it. I broke one of my 4mm. The end came off. I did not use it for a little while so it cooled down (its surprising how much they swell when you have been knitting for a while . I managed to get the end back on once it was cold.

the plastic bit that joins the needles has completely snapped off, id done a row wrong a couple of times and I snapped it while unpicking it, I blame my tight knitting :D
  • plumduff55
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've finished the jumper for dgs' Christmas. It's the same wool as my waistcoat. I've used this shawl collared pattern loads as I love it for boys.

I've nearly finished the waistcoats for mums Christmas. I'm just picking up the stitches for the neckband now. I'm going to sit up late and hopefully finish it tonight - then it'll sit till I get round to sewing it up.

Tomorrow I'm going to start snowman hand warmers for the challenge on one of the knitting threads.

I finally found the ?? Tiger shop in Glasgow yesterday, it's brilliant. I had already bought the Pom Pom maker but will definitely be going back with a list next time. Big thanks to the person who pointed me in that direction :T
    35ku06e.jpg

My knitting group has started up on a Thursday afternoon again - it's was great catching up with the knitters .

Sorry if this photo has you all stretching your necks 😟
    Happy knitting xx
  • plumduff55
    Options
    PS Ignore my comment about your necks - the photo has posted the correct way :rotfl:
    xx
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Evening folks

I've just frogged my work of the past few weeks and am now back at the start of the jumper. I think I wrote here that I could not get the gauge right without it being very lose and so decided to knit the bigger size... Well, turned out that somehow I did got the right gauge, it looked normal but obviously it is now all 10% too big and I will have to do my original size... Could have cried when I noticed as I knitted quite a bit on holiday... Just spend the evening unraveling everything and will start again tomorrow... Can't be bothered with it now...

Besides I've knitted a hat for charity on holiday which I had started weeks ago, never got further than the ribbing and in the end finished within one evening. Hooray to bulky yarn and 9mm needles...Will do three more with the same yarn as I bought 300 gramms for a scarf but didn't liked it anymore the minute I've unpacked it at home.

Went to the library today and had a small chat with one of the librarians who told me that they are planning on hosting a knitting group in the library during the winter months as a test run. So I will definitively be in for that and so is my Mum and I can think of a few others who will join. Just hope they will not pick the day I have to work long as it will be from 5-7 on an evening and I would be home too late than...

purplebat, how annoying! I also broke a needle lately and had to wait weeks for the replacement to arrive...

SouthCoastSkies, I don't see anything unusual about the more flexible ones, but maybe it is just a coincident that people like the other ones more.

Plumduff, Tiger is really great for small bits and bobs and I also bought yarn there a few times.

Have a nice evening everyone!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family