PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there, I have been on here a few times and posted odds and ends I've made but last week I had to make the really hard decision to stop knitting. I work as a typist - my workload is increasing which is good BUT unfortunately the Repetitive Strain Injury I had on and off when I worked full time is back with a vengeance. I need to work, so have decided to stop knitting - I'm going to sew instead which doesn't give me any pain.

I'm not sure if any of you are members of Ravelry, but if you go on there you can find me as Smiler33 - I have listed all my yarn for sale; some of it is really lovely and it's breaking my heart to sell it but I would much sooner see someone making good use of it than it just be sat in my clear box in our bedroom.

I've attached the link to my stash page; hopefully it'll work - http://www.ravelry.com/people/Smiler33/stash/trade

If anyone would like something please ping me a message on here and I'll get back to you.

Ali
    Save
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'd like to have a good at arm knitting a super chunky cowl and then a blanket, but I'm having trouble finding wool that's thick enough. I want something super chunky i.e. 3 inch stitches but the only stuff I can find online is £45 per kilo...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

NurseMaggie, I went to the local town today and trudged around every CS and not one ball of red wool to be bought anywhere !!! So, next week I shall go to the town in the opposite direction and search there. Failing that, there is a Hobbycraft there and I shall buy the red wool there.

Mumof2, I am not even going to look at your wool stash as I am not buying any wool unless absolutely necessary - snowman mitts for dgd come into that category 😄. I have 4 drawers under my bed that can hardly be closed as they are so packed full of wool. When I had to start storing it in a wardrobe as well I decided the time had come to call a halt to buying ANYMORE wool unless special circumstances. I had to stop knitting for a time a few years ago but now that I'm retired my shoulders a lot better now and I can knit whenever I want. Don't you want to keep the wool for a while and see if your RSI gets better?

Hi Kervie 192, I have only once knitted with super chunky but did not like the result so I actually binned the wool and never bought anymore that thickness. What about doubling up a thick yarn and knit a tension square to see if its near the size required. If you are knitting a cowl it won't be so important for the size to be exact. That way you could buy cheaper yarn and knit double.

Happy knitting xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    .......And at the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm combining my hobbies of knitting and miniatures ( a dolls house isn't necessarily a child's toy!) by knitting blankets, cushions and simple clothes using 1mm needles and 2 ply lace yarn. True miniature knitters go even finer - 0.5mm needles and sewing silk - but my eyes aren't up to that!
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I used to knit for DDs dolls house with 1 mm needles and 1 ply yarn . If I dropped a stitch it was a nightmare trying to pick it up again.I had to order the yarn from somewhere in Kent, I think, and the needles had quite sharp points.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Plumduff if you have a £1 world they have red wool at £1 a ball.

Kevie192 I could never knit with such thick wool or large needles I would rather knit with 3 1/4 mm needles any day. I am struggling at the moment with 5mm as I'm knitting with Aran.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Been busy knitting innocent smothie bobble hats. 16 so far.
    30036647311_f02340c3cf_z.jpg
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Lovely Instant smoothie hatsdrinkpretty, I'm doing those as well, I have a carrier bag I keep throwing them in, I've got a couple to sew up. They are a lovely way of using little oddments that would otherwise be wasted.
    My other UU project I have on the go is scbu hats for the local hospital I wait till I have a carrier bag full and drop them in when passing to save on postage.
    Started knitting Christmas bits this week, I work in a school so try and give all the children in the classes I work a little hand made treat each.

I'm another one trying to work through my wool stash before I buy anymore.
    Have a good day all
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I keep trying to reduce my wool stash especially after DH found it when he was decorating the spare room! The trouble is I keep finding "bargains" in wool so the stash is growing rather than decreasing.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 October 2016 at 11:54AM
    Options
    I used to knit for DDs dolls house with 1 mm needles and 1 ply yarn . If I dropped a stitch it was a nightmare trying to pick it up again.I had to order the yarn from somewhere in Kent, I think, and the needles had quite sharp points.

I have a 1mm crochet hook at the ready for any dropped stitches, but it only works with stocking stitch. I bought my wool and needles from a seller at a dolls house fair - but the Buttercup Miniatures webstore have a good range. I'm just building myself up to having a go at at 1930s skirt and jumper....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback