3 Retention Deals

Options

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately just because your friend got a certain deal it doesn't mean you will be offered it too. Generally speaking if you want better value you need to vote with your feet.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    my failed attempt at haggling with three:
    <SNIP>
    i wonder how long it'll take me to cancel....
    Read the small print very carefully when look to move to another deal on a knee jerk reaction. Be wary of buying a phone as part of a mobile contract, you are buying the phone on finance spread over 2 years and it isn't cheap. Compare SIM only with your own separately purchased phone.

I am with Three (SIM only, two 30 day "advanced" contracts) and have been looking around to see what is on offer. There were no offers from Three, other than what you see on their web site. When taking out the SIM only deal, we were given for free 2000 Three to Three minutes as a result of having two contract SIMs, unfortunately they no longer offer this.

Your mileage may vary, but these are my initial findings on looking at other SIM only offerings:

Three have a zero overspend cap on calls and texts you can set, Voda and EE just let you spend. Maybe not a big deal, but I like the cap on Three.

Despite the hype about coverage, in my location Three cover better than Vodafone! Tried it with a PAYG SIM (always a good idea to check with one).

Both Voda and EE have a useful feature on their SIM only contracts that include EU roaming, you can make local calls to land lines and mobiles from your included minutes, as well as calls back to the UK. Three do not include local calls, nor do they include tethering while roaming on "feel at home".

Voda and especially EE, offer proper data when roaming in the EU. Three have up to 12GB of data but it's very variable and in some places simply doesn't even let you pick up the news headlines from the BBC web site.

EE and Vodafone have SIM only deals ending 14th/15th March. Three currently have SIM only deals with no mention of an end date.

Virgin have 30 day SIM only at a good price, but don't include tethering.

We tether a lot and visit Spain several times a year, so EU roaming at no extra cost is quite important to us - in June this year the EU are abolishing roaming charges, so I guess the networks will be increasing their costs to cover it!
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Unfortunately just because your friend got a certain deal it doesn't mean you will be offered it too. Generally speaking if you want better value you need to vote with your feet.

i understand that i wouldn't get the exact same deal, but my point is they negotiated with her for a deal both parties were happy with, but refused any such for me. so i will be voting with my feet
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Three have a zero overspend cap on calls and texts you can set, Voda and EE just let you spend. Maybe not a big deal, but I like the cap on Three.

Despite the hype about coverage, in my location Three cover better than Vodafone! Tried it with a PAYG SIM (always a good idea to check with one).

luckily the coverage in my area is good for all of the big networks - the only reason three won over others was the AYCE data offer, but i've no need for that apparently! will just make sure i connect to wifi more often :)

the only time i've gone over was when i forgot to turn off my roaming in morocco for an hour - which cost me £20! i didn't even look at a website! never again...
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone had any recent offers? Setting aside an hour on the weekend to battle with them.
  • Guybrush1987
    Options
    Currently have two contracts ( one with a £2 discount as it was taken out as an additional contract) due for renewal with them, called up Friday evening and got offered 'excellent' deals which were the exact same as on their website. Went into the shop yesterday and again all they will offer is the same as the website, I mentioned about the additional contract discount and they aren't able to apply that to the 'upgrades' I am therefore better off cancelling the contract and opening a new one up, I called them back up to explain this and they weren't interested, seems as though they don't want my custom.
  • Pulpdiction
    Options
    It seems random but I've had a battle with them recently, I currently pay £18/m for 600mins u/l texts 30gb data, so called them up for a new deal as my 12 months were up - pointed me at web site, then said I want to get my PAC code, disconnections offered me same deal for £15/m but with u/l calls, so went for that as I was generally happy and it was SIM only, plus 1 free month.

So this was fine, but I got my PAC code anyway and they said they would record the deal on my account and could have it any time until my PAC expired. So best of both worlds.

Got my PAC 28 days before my minimum term ended, it was valid for 30 days. In the end I called back and asked them to continue for 12 months based on my original end date and I would go for the deal. This was 2 days before end of my minimum term, it was all fine. Then I got a text saying new end date would be end March 2019 and it would be £20 per month. Phoned them up and said not what was agreed, but then said my £15 deal was only from my next bill date, not end of current term, because they had billed me 5 days before end of term it was now 4 weeks before next bill, so in effect they had made me give another 30 days notice, when by getting my PAC I had given 30 days notice. I said this was not made clear and not acceptable, I said it was sharp practice and as my minimum term was that day I could leave that day so there was no March bill and they just refused to get that actually they were tying me in for 13 months and not 12. I just wanted to make people aware of this as I personally think lots of people will get getting this type of renewal. Upshot of the conversation was that I asked to raise a formal complaint, they put me through to a complaints team and they gave me another month free, so I agreed to be tied in until end of March next year but I'm getting 2 months free line rental, which I don't ever go over.
  • The_Red_Bag
    Options
    I have got 66 days left on my contract. The deal I've just been offered by Vodafone isn't as strong as I'd like. Does anyone know if I'll be able to negotiate an improved deal the closer I get to the end of my contract?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have got 66 days left on my contract. The deal I've just been offered by Vodafone isn't as strong as I'd like. Does anyone know if I'll be able to negotiate an improved deal the closer I get to the end of my contract?

This thread is about the 3 network.

You would be better off looking for (or starting one, if it doesn't exist) a thread for Vodafone retentions.
    ====
  • Guybrush1987
    Options
    Quick update, I checked the website the week after and they had a flash sale on the phone we wanted,so I ended up paying less than i initially planned for. Funny how they couldn't offer me that in the first place. Would help if you could have a conversation rather than a script read at you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure