PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with bacon offcuts

Comments

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I normally freeze these in 3oz portions and then have them on hand for quiches, pies and pates.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Fry them up with an onion and chopped peppers. Meanwhile cook some pasta. Mix together and stir through single cream or creme fraiche. Add lots of ground black pepper
    Regards
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Queenie wrote:

scheming - they can't be used for bacon sandwiches per se because they are bacon off cuts and come in all odd shapes and sizes. Sometimes you might be lucky enough to find some pieces that will make a sandwich, but in the main, they are used for cooking up in other ways.

bang a handful or 2 in the george formby, wait till cooked, onto bread, add sauce and gobble..
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yesterday bought 2 massive bags of bacon mis-shapes reduced to 50p each at Somerfield!

Got rid of one bag in the freezer straight away-no messing!

Made two large quiches last night, one for tea with salad, one for the freezer. Tonight we had a welsh recipe "tatws pum munud", fry off-cuts, add onion, when soft, layer sliced potato up the deep frying pan, and top up with hot water and a beef oxo cube. Wait until it all turns into a scrummy stodge and serve.

What can I do tomorrow, hubby doesn't like pasta, so a sauce is out, although I might do a bacon and cheesey jacket potato.

Idealy tomorrow I'd like to bung something in the slow cooker because I'm busy, obviously I'd have to be careful that the bacon is lean, I do have lentils, and split peas in stock.

Any help with the bacon glut would be appreciated???

Ta
    :j
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I posted a recipe for Potato,Bacon and Onion Hotpot a few days ago on a thread about cheap meals-I can heartily recommend it.Freeze any surplus in small quantities.
  • toozie_2
    Thanks, I remember reading the thread now, I'll look it up! :beer:
  • Nigel Slater does one very similar to this Savoy Cabbage and bacon but with only 1lb of cabbage, no wine or creme fraiche, and 1 tsp of caraway instead of the fennel. he also throws in a couple of carrots (cut to matchstick size and 2 garlic clover) when the bacons nearly done with the cabbage.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • smokey112
    smokey112 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post
    my fave is

bacon fried with onion, mushrooms
    macaroni cooked
    tin of condensed tomato soup

mix all together and serve (with dash or vinegar)

or top with cheese cook in oven and serve

love
    Ang
    xx
    BCSC NO 40
  • toozie_2
    Sounds yummm but hubby hates pasta (not normal if you ask me!), maybe I'll cut and paste and keep that one for another time!

Ta
    x
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I get these, fry them up add to cooked chicken and mayo, put in tupperware and then use for sandwiches, in pitta bread or past, what ever the mood takes
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business