PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Having battled with a loo like that too, the only thing that worked was to empty the water out of the loo (flush it first) using a disposable plastic cup, then scrubbing at the limescale with a pumice stone. I tried vinegar too, but you really need to empty the loo before you use anything otherwise anything you use will be too dilute.

You can also use a big toilet brush to push the water down the U-bend (that's what I do - don't fancy scooping it out). I did do it with a bottle of Coke once, which seemed to work, but luckily mine wasn't that bad to start with.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Cola definitely doesn't help if it is quite coated with limestone. All it does is to stain it even more brown!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    harpic in the black bottle - nothing like it for shifting hard brwon limescale. Leave it overnight then a really good scrub with a stuff bristle brush
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • rosie383
    Options
    They have it in the pound shops and Family Bargains at the mo.It is great stuff!!!
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • Corelli
    Corelli Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    My experience with a toilet like this was to empty it (never managed that trick of pushing the water down) and spraying with viakel. Then a good old scrub, however now I've tried the harpic mentioned by another poster I would have ago with that first - cheaper and I like to think slightly less hazardous once let loose into the sewers and rivers but that could be wishfull thinking on my part.

Or maybe trying vinegar but put tissue on the area where the vinegar needs to work otherwise it just runs away, vinegar soaked tissues stay put. It would be a somewhat slower process. This has worked for me on encrusted shower screens but lime bright and viakel do a much quicker job.

VEGAN for the environment, for the animals, for health and for people

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~Albert Schweitzer
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    Builders trick - BUT PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

About 1/3 of a bottle of spirits of salt down it and left to stand for several hours will have it back to sparkling.

Spirits of salts should be available from an old fashioned ironmongers. Wear Rubber gloves. Don't empy the water out to do this, if anything pour in a little more to take it over the level of any 'tide mark'
    Tip it carfully down the inside of the loo so NO splashes, and hold your breath while pouring, put the lid down on the loo and get out quick! The fumes are irritant. Flush before giving it a bit of a scrub and flushing again.

Kate
  • rosie383
    Options
    I've never heard of spirits of salts,but sounds good. Mind you, who knows what it would do to the environment!
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Old professional cleaners trick, just about nothing will work unless you take out the water,just dilutes too much.Use a poundland cotton mop,plunge up and down and squeeze out into bucket until no water,then use whatever you have, vinegar, limescale remover, leave overnight, give a good brush and it should leave you with a sparkling loo.
    Slimming World at target
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    Denture cleaning tablets- maybe 2 or 3- down the loo overnight, scrub in the morning the repeat as necessary. It has a similar effect to the vinegar.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    I've never heard of spirits of salts,but sounds good. Mind you, who knows what it would do to the environment!
    Its >25% HCl :eek::eek::eek:

No wonder it's effective ;).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure