PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    have u tried pouring down cheap/value cola and letting it soak ?..u can get toilet brushes cheap in ikea that i use once then chuck as i dont like the dirty things sitting in the corner of the room
    onwards and upwards
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I chucked a bottle of lime juice in my badly stained loo and left it overnight and it worked wonders
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • *miaomiao*
    *miaomiao* Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    I second the cola. You'll need a big bottle or two and leave it overnight.
    :A Thanks to all the lovely people who contribute their advice! :A
  • lexuslass
    lexuslass Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    Options
    When we moved into a house the loo was really badly stained - it was vile!!

I threw a couple of Alka Seltzers in and left them overnight... worked a treat!

HTH
  • Careful_with_that_Axe
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

It was just bog (tee hee) standard bleach I used. I have also tried cola, but nothing seems to have shifted it so far.

I picked up some denture cleaning tabs cheaply today, so may try a couple of those, but then will start to work through your suggestions if they don't work.

Luckily, I do have another loo, so this one can be out of action for a while.
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
    My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 June 2011 at 4:26PM
    Options
    *miaomiao* wrote: »
    I second the cola. You'll need a big bottle or two and leave it overnight.

Basically, limescale is alkali and it isn't going to be friends with anything acidic.

I don't like using harsh chemicals either, but to deal with situations like this, you do have to call in the heavy artillery, loaded with chemical weapons. And with limescale, also good old-fashioned elbow grease to physically unstick it.

Then you can use the gentler stuff to keep it clean.

The cola trick always makes me wonder what the stuff does to your innards, though.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Leave a couple of denture tablets down the toilet. Beg some from a neighbour.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    what they sometimes do on 'how clean is your house' is line the scaley areas with kitchen paper dampened so it will stick and then saturate the paper with vinegar. That way you don't have to use anywhere near as much . It works well on the underneath of the rim too and you can then use a brush to get off the loosened nasties.
  • Eyeore
    Eyeore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    I used White vinegar on limescale on my shower door at the weekend, soaked cotton wool and pressed on the bottom of the door, worked a treat! If you can get the water out then perhaps soak some flannels in vinegar and then line the loo bowl? Leave overnight, hopefully this will work for you.
    2019, move forward with positivity! I am the opposite of Eyeore :rotfl:
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I was going to suggest getting most of the water out then lining the loo with either layers of kitchen paper or cotton wool. then use either vinegar or lemon juice (the kind in bottles is fine for this - you dont have to use freshly squeezed) and leave overnight. Dont forget to do under the rim! next day bag up and discard the paper/cotton wool and give the loo a good rinse - it should be sparkling. If not then you can repeat the exercise! I did this with my sons downstairs loo when he moved home - the loo was the most disgusting I have ever seen!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure