PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When we moved into a flat that was rather minging, my Mum used patio cleaner on the loo. She had gone through goodness knows what else to6 start with but that was the only thing that shifted it.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    harpic... ordinary bue one.. couple of the tablets for over night and the liquid for above the water line.. soak kitchen roll in it and stuff under the rim.. twinkly bog!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Don't go down that path.;):)

OK :rotfl:

Seriously, I'm going to try that vinegar thing. After I've been back to the washing thread I'm curiously addicted to.
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    spirits of salts.

We had builders in for a month while we were on holiday.

Came back and looked at the downstairs cloakroom - nuff said:eek:

Spirits of salts is brilliant when only chemicals will do
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • kittykat500
    kittykat500 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is also a good idea to drain the toilet of water before using a limescale remover. This can be done by using a mop and bucket and wringing the water out bit by bit, then leaving the limescale remover overnight. Attack with the mop, or abrasive scourer. This should work!

If you use a mop in this way, remember to wash out in water and then soak it in a strongish bleach solution afterwards, to get rid of any nasty bacteria!
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Sponge on one side, scratchy nylon on the other. A bit like these.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJOwdzQjD4-a149FtVmN25mrfvcjkBu2o-T_SbVcKi381Lx2ZO2w

They work for me. :)

I use those for everything. If limescale remover, or vinegar used first on the brown stained area, should scrub up a treat. I buy the cheap and nasty ones 10 for £1, as I always throw mine away. Well you would anyway I hope after cleaning the toilet pan. :eek:
  • squeakyclean226
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    Don't know if you can still get it but i used to buy Citric Acid(powder form) in the chemists for doing this job, can't remember how much it was but it was rather a lot cheaper than the normal limescale removers. Worked as well as vinegar without the smell . Sorry for being so vague but i live in a nice soft water area now :j so no limescale :j

The citric acid works fantastic. I get mine from this company: http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/citric-acid.html :beer:
  • Rallydrive
    Options
    Pouring litres of bleach down the toilet is not going to do the environment any favours at all is it. Let's try and be a little bit more conscious of the eco-system and the creatures that live in it!
  • vl2588
    vl2588 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same with most cleaners, including Ecover et al. Best thing is to use as little of whatever you do use as possible. Obviously there are degrees of harm though!
    Weight loss: Start weight: 80kg; Current Weight: 77kg; Target weight: 55kg
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a very hard water area and moved into a house with 3 toilets that had not been properly cleaned in years apparently. I tried most things including the value cola method which just stained the lime darker brown- avoid!

firstly you need to EMPTY the toilet as the water dilutes the action of any cleaner. the easiest way is to (wearing rubber gloves) put a large sponge down the loo and squeeze it out into a bucket. you can buy a value car sponge for 31p from tesco and throw it away after.

secondly, when the toilet is empty of water you need an ACIDIC cleaner to dissolve limescale as it is alkaline. Domestos Zero is the best product I have found in the supermarket. it contains hydrochloric acid which is a strong acid which dissolves the limescale, and like other toilet cleaners is thicker so it sticks to the sides of the bowl.

("Spirit of salts" is AFAIK an old fashioned name for hydrochloric acid itself, the active ingredient in Domestos zero, and could be used instead but I would be very wary as neat it is powerful stuff. also, as it is of a water like consistency, the acid alone will not cling to the surfaces of the bowl. the Domestos zero product is more user friendly but you should still wear gloves and eye protection when using and wash off any spills immediately - it WILL burn and it is very easy to get splashed when scrubbing vigorously.)

lemon juice and vinegar will also have some effect against limescale, but much less powerful, as they contain weaker acids than the above.

thirdly, leave the product on for as long as possible and use a scourer to remove the product and limescale, again taking care to protect yourself from splashes.

good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport