PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• broodylass_2
    Options
    I tried cola but it didn't budge the thick layer in ours ... but I found that a pumice stone and elbow grease works wonders :0)
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    well i have had my own personal tragedy and then success with limescale in our toilet. we live on the southcoast so couldnt be harder water if we tried

a while ago i got really fed up of throwing things down the loo,, cola, vinegar and limescale remover and nothing working that i bought a scourer on a stick. rubbed hard and some limescale came off, great i thought.. then i noticed dark grey scratches and sought advice on here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3243480&highlight=help+toilet

consensus was that i had scratched the porcelain and i was mortified as i hate ruining things and it looked awful. i had put my hand down the loo and felt it and it felt smooth so i thought well it cant be stained limescale i must have scratched it

i was so peed off about it that i just gave it cursory cleaning after this. then last week i thought i must give it a proper clean even though it wont look good with the scratches and took the advice of someone that previous thread and slopped the water round the u bend with the toilet brush (no draining required) and poured on extra strong limescale remover for a few hours

because there was no water in the loo it clung to the toile bowl really well and a quick brush over (my loo brush is actually a washing up brush because i like the scraper bit on the end) and ALL the limescale was gone

i was so happy i had to post this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3385714&highlight=happy+toilet

so from now on, i'll take the few minutes it takes to slop the water out of the bowl by pushing it with the brush until it gets round the u bend and clean it like that. it works
  • maddisonred
    Options
    hi,been reading all the threads and was about 2 try vinegar butnoticed i had bought a bottle of HARPIC POWER PLUS says on back kills allgerms and limescale but was sceptical but tried anyway after kids had gone 2 bed as says leave 10 mins b4 flush or 1 hour 2 get rid of all germs andlo and behold had left it on 4 over 3 hrs(i was watching CBB and on pc and 4got,lol)and went 2 scrub and it was as smooth as anything,ALL LIMESCALE GONE.i am so happy as toilet had bn like it 4 at least a year,they sell this in tesco 4 £1.60 and asda 4 £2 and its a 750mlbottle
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    I swear by limescale loo cleaner. the asda, tesco and wilkinson's own brand is exactly the same as harpic. same chemical makeup.

and I tried cola too. all it did was dye the bloody limescale and make it look worse lol.
  • kitschkitty
    Options
    I'd like to thank all those who recommended using a pumice stone, it really worked to remove those stubborn deposits without damaging the porcelain, and didn't take as much elbow grease as I had expected it would, and I was able to use it in my sink too - not after it had been in the loo I hasten to add!

I use the Domestos Zero, limescale remover to keep on top of it.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • clair2305
    Options
    I hope someone can help.

I've noticed that there is brownish limescale at the back of the toilet building up (where the water comes in) and am looking for a good cheap effective way of getting rid of this.

Been reading people's posts and see that a lot of you are saying vinegar soaked in kitchen/loo roll left on the area.....does this work?

I've got no problem under the water line, I got rid of that with Viakil (soaked water in the bowl in a old tea towel to emtpy water, sprayed and left for a bit and it came up a treat)

Today I also soaked tissue in viakil and left it on the spot at the back for about half an hour, then got an old toothbrush, scourer and another brush and gave it a good scrub with elbow grease, which did help quite a bit, but it isn't gone.

So, should I use the vinegar method? And if so, how long should I leave it for and does it really matter if it's just malt vinegar?

And now I'm worrying about the bits I cannot see, like under the rim....after spending nearly 4 hours in the kitchen doing a thorough spring clean (in autumn) and nearly 2 hours in the bathroom....am I on the verge of OCD....who knows.

But I'd like to get rid of this small brownish limescale at the back of the loo, like I said where the water comes in, probably only about an inch square, but once I've seen it I want it gone (and also any I can't see under the rim)

I always use bleach under the rim and in the loo, but no toilet brushes in this house, not afraid to put on the rubber gloves and get stuck in.....it's not that bad and no one else has mentioned it, but "I" know it's there and that's enough haha.

I do like viakil, but not only is it not working on this stubborn bit, but seems to be getting more expensive each time I buy it

So any help/confirmation of vinegar thing or other help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
  • lauzt1987
    lauzt1987 Posts: 371 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2012 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Hi there. I'm looking for a bit of advice. When I moved in to my flat the inside of the toilet was really dirty (right down at the bottom of the bowl.) I have tried various toilet cleaners and have used a regular toilet brush and although it looks better, it still never looks clean.

Any ideas for how to clean right down there. I have just inherited a steam cleaner and was wondering if I could use this. But not sure if the jet of steam would go through the water in the toilet?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • csnann
    csnann Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think a steam cleaner would work unless you removed the water first.
    Have you tried leaving vinegar in the loo overnight? that should dissolve any limescale.
  • PixieDust
    Options
    I second the suggestion of vinegar....pour half a bottle of cheap brown vinegar (13p a bottle @ A$da) into the loo last thing at night and give it a scrub with the loo brush in the morning before flushing it. If you do this for a few nights running you should see an improvement :)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Having battled with a loo like that too, the only thing that worked was to empty the water out of the loo (flush it first) using a disposable plastic cup, then scrubbing at the limescale with a pumice stone. I tried vinegar too, but you really need to empty the loo before you use anything otherwise anything you use will be too dilute.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport