PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• southerngirl_2
    Options
    I agree with rachbc Harpic Power Plus in the black bottle is the way to go!

The toilet bowl in the property I moved into was stained +++ - no amount of standard bleach and scrubbing would move it. Someone else on here recommended Harpic Power Plus and I couldn't believe how effective it was. I removed as much water as I could and coated the bowl with Harpic and left it over night. The next morning I scrubbed the bowl and flushed the toilet and after only one application all the staining had disappeared leaving a shiny white bowl! Very impressed!
  • minniemaus1970
    Options
    defenetly empty out the toilet, again best things I found was Harpic power cleaner, or vinegar, or AMMONIA , stinks, but will sift it ( i put toilet paper on affected pocelain then slowly pour on either liquid ( the toilet paper will keep it saturated) remove soggy paper and give it a good scrub < caution when using ammonia, it stinks!
    and always wear gloves and goggles
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    Any handy dilute acid will do to remove limescale. Pickling vinegar and lemon juice are the best but note the comments by others: remove all water from the bowl and put down a cloth or paper towels to keep the liquid concentrated on the stain. The next morning - get scrubbing with Cif.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have awful trouble with my loo, i've tried coke that harpic, cilic bang (sp?) but acually i never thought t try vinegar can i use the cheapy malt one? i can't use a pumice i tried and scratched my toilet, honestly if i owned this house and it wasn't rented i'd have bought a new loo by now it's depressing, for ages we used loo blocks because they lid it but now it's above the tide line :(
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Its >25% HCl :eek::eek::eek:

No wonder it's effective ;).

It's only concentrated stomach acid...that's what OH tells me!

Blooming Brilliant. Can't use it now though as we have a septic tank!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I used the denture cleaning tabs - couldnt risk anything which the fumes would affect the asthmatics!
    Two or three tabs every night for a week sorted it out - and believe me that toilet was grunge central!
    around the rim I packed kitchen roll soaked in lemon juice - that only took TWO nights to sort .
    Oh and during this time - I made the family use the other loo - then that one got the same treatment.
  • tumbletots
    Options
    Same here for me too. I use Morrisons extra strength denture cleaning tablets. If I remember rightly they are approximate 40p a tube. Once it is clean just drop one a week in and it will keep on top of any further problems. HTH
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    I empty as much water out a possible, shove down a load of Lidl limescale remover, leave it a while then attack it with a disposable glove and a pan scrubber. I don't reuse the pan scrubber in the kitchen:D
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just dont mix things. My dad did and boom big crack in the bowl. :eek: My mum was not impressed :naughty:
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    DDs loo was like that-she lives in a hard water area. We got some Harpic tablets from Mr T's. They were with the toilet cleaners and they worked wonders.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport