We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unofficial MSE Meet in Edinburgh 1/9/05

Options

Comments

• Bargains_Galore
    Options
    Glad wrote:
    Thanks Edilass and daughter for being the best hostesses ever icon7.gif
    we really loved staying with you, my daughter was crying as we waved goodbye at the airport and there was a tear in my eye too, so roll on the nest meet,
    the other members were a fabulous crowd and we had a great time,
    peeking at Ivan's dental floss was just one of the highlights icon12.gif

last night was fun too, quizes and fun supplied by Bargains_Galore and her lovely mum,

Aliasojo - can you name this tune in 254

1 . 2 6 3 . 7 . 1 8 6 2 9 9 9 icon10.gif

Ok we give in!!

My Mum has been playing your notes on the piano and we are none the wiser. :(

Did you compose this yourself?! Has Aliasojo got the answer?
    Time flies you cannot they go too fast!
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Fran wrote:
    ... it was great standing next to Ivan in his tartan thong discussing with him in person benefit reforms and jobs ....... (not!).
    I still have the black eye and electrode marks on me to prove it. :D

Great meeting you
    Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad wrote:
    Aliasojo - can you name this tune in 254

1 . 2 6 3 . 7 . 1 8 6 2 9 9 9 icon10.gif

*Sigh* Of course I can!

It’s the Nonsense Song and it goes something like this:

(sung in a Country and Western style - and not to the 'fit all' tune that E seemed to favour all night :rotfl: )

Oh, my music makes you wanna dance……(*grip skirt hem and swing*)

Listen to me and you’re in a trance…….

I sound so good I win you over…..

I make you wanna run wild through clover……..(*slap thigh and tap foot*)

Chorus:
    Piano keys, piano keys….

I do a good job when I play on these….

My songs are easy, my songs are good…..

You always know them just like you should……

Now, if I cheat or I play fair…..

It makes no difference ‘cos I’m aware….

That games in life are hard to do….

Unless I play against folks like you….. (:rotfl: )

Chorus:
    Piano keys, piano keys….

I do a good job when I play on these….

My songs are easy, my songs are good…..

You always know them just like you should……

I wonder why you don’t give up….

Cos you aint getting’ much good luck….

To win the game, you really must see…

You just need to have notability………….(;) )

Oh piano keys, piano keys……

I do a good job when I play on these……

Hope y'all are singin along now? :rolleyes:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to add......I'm available for weddings/bar mitzvahs (sp?)/birthdays etc etc. Cheap rates for fellow MSE'rs. ;)

Glad to have met you all. I've now recovered from the shock! :rotfl:

It was a great couple of days and thanks again to E for organising us all. :D Apologies to Pink for probably giving her lovely black coat a new fingerprint pattern on her right sleeve where I did my 'cling on' act during our time in the undergound vaults. The only thing that kept me going was the fact that Ivan's lovely wife was obviously as scared as I was! :rotfl: And the fact the tour guide was called sleeve! :D

I was pleased to see that none of you were as I had expected. As usual my tendancy to get age/hair colour etc wrong was in evidence and I was pleasantly surprised to see you all had your own hair and teeth after all. ;)

Seriously though, you were a lovely bunch - thanks everyone for attending. :beer:

Off to have some tea and what's left of the chocolate shortbread now. ;)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,870 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    aliasojo wrote:

sung in a Country and Western style - and not to the 'fit all' tune that E seemed to favour all night :rotfl:
    aliasojo wrote:
    And the fact the tour guide was called sleeve! :D

both of these statements have made me cry laughing :rotfl:

pass me a fresh tena lady someone icon12.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,870 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    and nobody's mentioned yet how aliasojo and I left the graveyard at midnight desperate for a pee,
    only one pub in 2 mile radius seemed to be open,
    so with no shame we marched in located the ladies and ran straight in,
    in one toilet was the vending machine, not your usual chewing gum, tampax and mates.......................no, no, no :rotfl:

we had a choice of vibrators, edible thongs and inflatable sheep :eek:

we did manage to do all our family pressie shopping in one place though icon12.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Glad wrote:
    and nobody's mentioned yet how aliasojo and I left the graveyard at midnight desperate for a pee,
    only one pub in 2 mile radius seemed to be open,
    so with no shame we marched in located the ladies and ran straight in,
    in one toilet was the vending machine, not your usual chewing gum, tampax and mates.......................no, no, no :rotfl:

we had a choice of vibrators, edible thongs and inflatable sheep :eek:

we did manage to do all our family pressie shopping in one place though icon12.gif

After reading this last post I'm definately coming to the next Edinburgh meet to see what you lot all get up to!! But reading this thread so far has made me 16cfdfbf.gif

Thankyou!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Oh Glad, me too I am crying with laughter again here tonight! I really didn't see what was wrong with my "mole" song :confused:

And aliasojo, as usual wrong again.. the song Glad put up was addressed to me and of course it was "Flower of Scotland" B_G and Mum I thought you would have known that one straight away icon7.gif

First of all apologies to anyone who went home with my cold which started on Friday morning and progressively got worse over Sat/Sun. After a second mad dash to the airport on Saturday with Glad (Friday night with Pink, fortunately I know all the back roads to the airport) I retired to bed for the afternoon with daughter popping in and out giving me instructions from Pink on how to look after her new Pink-Winged stick insects! No prizes for guessing who brought them with her in her suitcase, thanks from daughter, me, I'm not so sure icon12.gif

Many, many thanks to all who came on the Thursday night and made it such a success and from such distances, I think Fran probably won the prize for coming the furthest and for making Ivan's night. His face was a picture when he was introduced to Fran. Hope you have all now put the MSE car stickers on your cars, thanks to Andrea for sending me off some extras.

As you will all have gathered the "ghost walk" was different and for all the Edinburgh residents who want to know which pub it was that Glad found the vending machines in the toilets it was the aptly named World's End icon7.gif

Thanks to Toozie we all enjoyed a hearty breakfast Olympic Style at the Little Chef for half price with her voucher which set us up for a day of sight-seeing and shopping. A few strange looks were cast in our direction when we indulged in a "group hug" at the tills in the Sainsbury's Metro and the shoppers visably moved away after Glad told them it was okay we had all met on the internet :rotfl:

Friday night was a blast, thanks to B_G and her Mum and I found I really have an ear for a tune :rolleyes:

Of course no trip to Edinburgh would be complete for aliasojo without a visit to Ikea which resulted in the mad dash to the airport with Glad and a lengthy 70 minute queue for aliasojo to get herself across the Forth Bridge.
    But, r.mac, you would have been proud of me as I managed to offload some of my junk (score out and put treasures) into aliasojo's car before she left icon11.gif

All in all a great few days and it really was so nice (what an inadequate word) to meet new and old moneysavers.

:grouphug:
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options

Of course no trip to Edinburgh would be complete for aliasojo without a visit to Ikea which resulted in the mad dash to the airport with Glad and a lengthy 70 minute queue for aliasojo to get herself across the Forth Bridge.
    But, r.mac, you would have been proud of me as I managed to offload some of my junk (score out and put treasures) into aliasojo's car before she left icon11.gif

Excellent stuff Edinburghlass.

Aliasojo - sold my first books on amazon over the weekend, not made it onto ebay yet! Enjoy Edinburghlass's treasures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

oh yes, think I'll have to go and do a recce to the world's end pub just to check out your story ;) Perhaps that's where Ivan got his very tasteful thong for the meet???? :rotfl:
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Small aside r.mac, if you are doing any more fund raising carboots, let me know and I'll gladly deliver you the rest of my treasures icon7.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure