We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unofficial MSE Meet in Edinburgh 1/9/05

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Edinburghlass for being such a fabulous host.

Two years ago, if someone had told me that I'd be standing in a graveyard in Scotland at midnight with a crowd of like minded people that I'd met on the internet, I'd have thought that they were completely mad! And I will take
    to my grave the memory of 'Ivan' doing the highland fling wearing only a nappy and bonnet today on Princes Street! ;):D

It was a brilliant couple of days and it was really great to meet so many other old and new moneysaving friends.

Pink
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi EdinburghLass
    Thanks for a great meet we really enjoyed ourselves ... what can I say, standing in a graveyard at midnight with 7 'strange' women (you can't count the tour guide ... he fluffed his lines :D:D - under the bed, in a strange roof?) ... there goes my reputation!

I would like to point out that I was not doing a highland fling ... a wasp got stuck in my nappy and I was trying to get it out ... I was only wearing the nappy because sopmeone pinched my thong.

Looking forward to hearnig the full sordid details of the drunken ladies night (if only Martin knew about the alchoholics he has entrusted his board to :eek: ... I never knew you girls knew so many rugby songs)

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • loadsacash
    Options
    Thanks Edinburghlass for organising such a great evening.

All the family had a great time meeting you all and are looking forward to the next meet-up
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes thanks Edinburgh lass for organising the meet. When's the next one ? We got the train tickets half price and on the journey home the train was late into Aberdeen so the train company provided a taxi home at a cost to them of £90. We had a great time -the meet - shopping - Ikea - more shopping - Boots then more shopping. Brilliant. Roll on the next meet.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,870 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Edilass and daughter for being the best hostesses ever icon7.gif
    we really loved staying with you, my daughter was crying as we waved goodbye at the airport and there was a tear in my eye too, so roll on the nest meet,
    the other members were a fabulous crowd and we had a great time,
    peeking at Ivan's dental floss was just one of the highlights icon12.gif

last night was fun too, quizes and fun supplied by Bargains_Galore and her lovely mum,

Aliasojo - can you name this tune in 254

1 . 2 6 3 . 7 . 1 8 6 2 9 9 9 icon10.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks E/Lass for organising the meet, it was nice to chat to everybody. Wish I'd gone on the walk now, but my feet were full of blisters from too much sightseeing round your beautiful city.

r.mac, keep us informed how you are getting on at Uni please??

After spending too much, I'll be on here constantly for the next few months!!

Edinburghlass, thanks for keeping the car safe. :D
    :j
  • fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grunnie wrote:
    Yes thanks Edinburgh lass for organising the meet. When's the next one ? We got the train tickets half price and on the journey home the train was late into Aberdeen so the train company provided a taxi home at a cost to them of £90. We had a great time -the meet - shopping - Ikea - more shopping - Boots then more shopping. Brilliant. Roll on the next meet.

what about the grand-children and lovely son and daughter-in-law :confused:

and those bargain scones from morrison's ?

ho hum

fluffynit's otherhalf (grunnie's son)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    fluffynit wrote:
    what about the grand-children and lovely son and daughter-in-law :confused:

and those bargain scones from morrison's ?

ho hum

fluffynit's otherhalf (grunnie's son)

LOL, she did speak very highly of her family ;)

I have to say you have one special Mum there! This lady of a certain age (thats me being discreet) decided as soon as she saw mention of a meet in Scotland that she was going to go no matter where or when. If I remember correctly she first sat at a pc after either seeing Martin or reading his book and wanted to go on moneysavingexpert.com and from there the die was cast.

She greeted me by saying she was delighted to meet me which somewhat took me aback the thought that the reputation of MSE was sitting on my shoulders icon11.gif but her stories of her half price rail trip, voucher usage in Tesco, vinegar and bicarb usage in toilets made us all smile and I am so glad that she made the decision and I might add a lengthy journey to join us all last Thursday.
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all glad you all had a great time ! I really hope to come next time and meet you all:D
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for organizing that Edinburgh_Lass, it was great to meet you and the others and it was great standing next to Ivan in his tartan thong discussing with him in person benefit reforms and jobs ....... (not!). I'm so glad I didn't go on the walk as I wouldn't have enjoyed being stuck 3 storeys down in some cold dungeon with a load of ghosts. :D :eek:

There's just so much to see in Edinburgh and of such quality too, no wonder all these millionaires are settling there. I managed to do a bit of culture, whizzed past a few Rembrandts & Renoirs and that and even managed the first floor of the National Museum and watched that big clock chiming and saw the biggest snakes, the biggest seals and other animals (stuffed of course!) that I've ever seen and was fed up to find out that we (humans) have been responsible for the extinction of the Great Moa (huge ostrich like bird), the Great Auk, the Dodo and the Quagga (horse thing with zebra stripes on front half & not back). Just not enough time to see anything, you'd need a few months!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport