I Challenge You..save Money You Find On Street..1yr

Comments

• tsharp
    tsharp Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    During lunch today i could have been 9p up in about 5 mins, i saw a 5p and a couple of 2ps - both in very busy places, but the social awkwardness of picking up coins in the dirty street in public is too great!

I work at a University, and it seems those 'poor' students are not bothered by dropping change, all the finds were at the tills in the on campus supermarket! What i need is a toddler who i can programme!
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I say forget the shame! Besides what's shameful, i think it's shameful that students and anyone else for that matter have enough money not to notice dropping it! very disappointed though the kids at my school are really good at keeping money in their pocket and i found nothing in the playground or alley!
  • I was walking down past the river in the centre of Lincoln when I saw what looked like a curled up note on the floor, bent down to pick it up - turned out to be three £10 notes in a little roll.

Looked around but it was late and dark and noone seemed to be looking for it. Kept me going for a few days :)
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    tsharp wrote: »
    I work at a University, and it seems those 'poor' students are not bothered by dropping change, all the finds were at the tills in the on campus supermarket! What i need is a toddler who i can programme!

Mum works in a high school and has seen the kids emptying change and just leaving it on desks or windowsills as they don't want 'coppers'. Mum collected it all along with an old mobile phone, stickers, badges, notepads, pens etc and handed it all in to her boss. He didn't really look inside it so just gave it to her to keep or dispose of. She came home with a new phone (same model as her own so she had a spare) and loads of coins inc two rare Guernsey coins selling for £20 each on eBay!!
  • tsharp
    tsharp Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    In the same trip at lunch time i went to the bank, to pay in a cheque from Capital One for £12.66, used the paying in machines etc, and there was a reciept for a previous paid in total etc. £10,044!!! So a student had paid in over £10k. It was probably a foreign student, as i don't think student loans go that high in one payment! Saying that, there are loads of privately educated kids from silver spoon up the @rse backgrounds here...
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
  • You've all done so well especially the £30!!
    I found 2p today, better than nothing:D
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner :beer:

Married my best friend 15/4/16 :)
  • I found 3c today... ;) big money, I know.

I also noticed that the pharmacy near where I work had a tray on the counter giving away 20c pieces to customers for their parking meters. I don't drive, and was too shy to pick one up for that reason, but I probably should've!
  • chriz1000
    chriz1000 Posts: 457 Forumite
    The best place by far is at the bar on the floor in a pub or even better a club.
    I used to work in a club, the doormen would often find £20+ a night as drunken punters pulled money out of there pocket.
    The most I ever personally found was £60 in one night.
  • Lilman
    Lilman Posts: 23 Forumite
    I too have been collecting money off the street. I also collect up all brass coins my sons leave lying around (as they are far better off than me anyway!!) and add that to my caraffe. When it is full of odds and ends I take it to that noisy machine they put in public areas - entrance to Sainsburys and Asda where I live, and collect my receipt to do some shopping. It usually - at least once a month is full and will hold about eighteen pounds.

Go for it all of you. I also take every brass coin and 5P pieces out of my purse every day and add these to it as they only get on my nerves.
  • I found £5 in the car park last week, blowing around in the wind.

But before I start purposefully looking, I think i need to know where you all live so I dont cover the same areas otherwise I wont find anything!!!

I need to get a new piggy bank as mine fell of the shelf and smashed, then I can start collecting.
    As everyone has said its children/teenagers that think 1p/2p are only worth throwing on the floor!
    Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime

Finally dealing with my whopping debt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport