I Challenge You..save Money You Find On Street..1yr

Options

Comments

• kittynortheast
    Options
    Good thread!!
    I found 5p today so in my pot it will go!
    I once found £25 in a car park but felt guilty keeping it, I would be devastated if I lost that amount so I handed it in at the local police station. I never expected to see it again but I received a cheque through the post a month or so later, and I didn't feel guilty spending it then!!
    LBM 17th April 2007:j
    Credit Cards paid - July 2008 [strike]Sainsys,M&S,[/strike][strike] HSBC[/strike]
    Grocery Challenge £350
    DEBT FREE AND STILL TRYING HARD
  • Short_Legs
    Short_Legs Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Just reminded me of quite a few years back when I saw 10p on the ground, was really broke ( what's new ), so tried to pick it up & someone had superglued it to the pavement!!!! a group of boys were looking out of the window laughing & jeering at me:o

Aww, that's terrible. How mean, especially as you probably wouldn't have done it had you not been so skint!
  • Short_Legs
    Short_Legs Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I once found £25 in a car park but felt guilty keeping it, I would be devastated if I lost that amount so I handed it in at the local police station.

Pah! No way would I hand money in at the police station (not because I wanted to keep it for myself but for... ahem... "bendy" reasons... if you know what I mean!) I wouldn't keep a large amount of money (ie £25) but I would try to find out (I'm not sure how!) who might have lost it and give it back to them if they claimed it.
  • minted007
    minted007 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    WOW ! where do you all live .
    They are all so poor around here no one ever seems to leave any money drops on the floor .:confused:
  • Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    found 1p yesterday and thought of this thread! In the piggy it goes!
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • julliff
    julliff Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    My 11 year old daughter has been collecting street finds for a couple of years now. She saves everything she finds in a box, and at the end of the year, she splits the money between two charities - one animal charity, such as the Donkey Sanctuary, and one human charity, such as Help the Aged.

Usually her Dad doubles whatever she has accumulated.
    "Carpe Diem"
    MFW - Starting mortgage April 2010 - 120,000
    MFW - restart Nov 2013 - £70207.88 & £14086.49
    Current balance - £62459.49 & £10380.19

• waddy_2
    waddy_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    the kids near me are always throwing away 1p 2p or sometimes 5 pences especially when they go to the ice cream van which conveniently stops outside my house every day. its like they dont care coz its worthless to them but not to me. my partner and i have saved all these coins for years and they do son mount up. its in our special once in a lifetime fund! keep those eyes peeled!!!!!
    waddy - from this:eek: to this :j (hopefully????)
  • CleanerConscience
    Options
    When my ds started doing mornings at nursery in January, I got a job as a cleaner in a pub nearby. I found 20p on my first day and after a few more days, when I realised this was likely to happen pretty regularly, I started putting it in a piggy bank.
    I was pretty glad of it this weekend when I was admitted to hospital in the middle of the night and had no money to take with me. I raided the piggy of anything over 20p and managed to get about £8. Bought me a phone card and a morning paper :D
  • (Land_of)_Maz
    (Land_of)_Maz Posts: 11,738 Forumite
    Options
    Hi again, thought i would update.

My previous total was £1.16 but last week i found a few coins.

5p outside burger van at my work, 2 p in Asda carpark...

£1 on path at very busy fete, was being watched by a little boy, (18 months maybe) so i said to him "is this yours?" thinking he would say "no" or run away. The little critter just held out his hand, gave my legs a wee hug and went to his dad. Every time he passed me, he gave my legs another wee squeeze. - think that was probably worth losing the pound for!!!

50p under the table at cafe at same fete, gave it to waiter blokee, said i found it but he should ahve it as a tip. This was prior to getting served, and realising it was £2.50 a head for tea and cakes!! Wish i'd kept both the 50p and that £1!!!

So total now £1.23! whoop whoop!! (sarcastic!)
    I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
    (it's part of my charm!)
  • mrswive
    mrswive Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    My OH and I walk everywhere and are always picking up coins and occasional folders. A few years back we decided to put them all in a jar. Year 1 we collected over £85, year 2 it was over £100. The last couple of years haven't been quite so good but we still collect around £40 -£60.(I don't know if that's because people are being a bit more careful or more people are bothering to pick up coins) We use the money for treats such as meals out or takeaways which we wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.
    I have no shame and will happily wait for cars to pass so I can pick up 2p!
    This week has been a good one - £11-12 so far.
    So glad to know I'm not the only scav :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport