We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Virgin email closing down

1246

Comments

  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I find that a very odd position to take. Very few internet providers now offer an inclusive email service. Virgin itself haven't offered it to new customers for several years. Over time people have moved their email away because a)dedicated email providers offer a better service b) it makes switching provider easier.

    It's now reached the point where the comparatively few people left, make it too expensive to keep the email infrastructure up to date. They'll have looked at the cost of people leaving and found it less than the cost of maintaining the service.

    And it's not that they haven't given notice and they have arranged an orderly transfer, so you can keep your address and then choose what to do.

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,637 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I wonder if Virgin will offer a penalty free contract exit when they kill the email? I have an old ntlworld address, which I don't use for anything important, but they don't know that.

    I only have broadband, email and telephone with them. Could lose the phone as we rarely use it and our street has FTTP available through Cityfibre.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I suspect there’s no possible chance of that but we can live in hope.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Have you checked if any of the ISPs on your local CityFibre network have contract buy-out deals?

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,637 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm only a few months into a new 24 month deal with VM, which I'm quite happy with, but quite happy to rock their boat too. 😄

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • alldoors
    alldoors Posts: 66 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I got booted out of the Virginmedia email on my phone and now can only view my messages through Outlook. I started changing my email address on my various accounts and I've noticed that the the emails are taking over 30 minutes to arrive. So when I have to put in 2FA to change my email address, I'm getting the code too late to enter into the timed box. It is driving me mad.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I’ve had that as well, 2 hours for an email to arrive with a code that was only valid for 20 minutes. Luckily I’m still able to access my mail box though on my phone as well as on my PC, it’s just sloooooow

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 30,862 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I have exactly that problem. Virgin email just disappeared from my phone a couple of weeks ago with absolutely no warning. The people in O2 shop were as much in the dark as I was and had to go to the website to find out what was happening.

    According to the O2 'helpline', I should have had several emails warning me that this was about to happen. I've received nothing.

    Ironically, I still get notifications on my phone that I have a Virgin email but then have to go to my desktop or tablet to read them.

    I, too, am in the process of transferring to my gmail but it's laborious. I'd like to let people know in one hit but, for some reason, my contacts aren't showing in my email address book although they're all there when I compose individual emails. 🤔

  • ididgetwhereiamtoday
    ididgetwhereiamtoday Posts: 403 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 30 September at 7:45AM

    Yes. I think many will. It’s just one bit of nonsense after another with VM. They do not have the monopoly on BB and TV these days. It is much easier to find alternatives than there was in the past.
    it’s more the principle than anything else. They are showing themselves up to be money grabbing not caring about customers attitude.

  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    They are all the same, could be worse, you could be with TalkTalk…..I'm paying less for my VM BB now than I was two years ago, and it's always been a reliable connection, so I'm not recognising your description. That's not to say I don't recognise that some people have issues, as it is with all suppliers.

    I don't have TV with them, so if there are issues with that it's a different matter. As for email, I think all ISP's are looking at discontinuing them. They were an advertising tool in the early days aimed at a more unknowing public than is the case today.

    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.