We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Virgin email closing down

1356

Comments

  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    GMX or GMail would probably be free go to's. I'm guessing that everyone with a different supplier will probably recommend them.

    GMX (German) or GMail (USA)…Personally, I wouldn't entirely trust anything American…😉

    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • VM seem to be going from bad to worse with their business model. With so much competition available now I think people will just switch all their services. This is going to cost VM big time.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Do you really think that people would be minded to swap their BB supplier (and delivery infrastructure) just because VM are turning off their email service?

    Even if they do they are still going to have to find another email supplier.

    Can you cancel without ETC because email is being withdrawn?

  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Very few of their customers rely on the Virgin email services. I can't see anyone ditching their BB or TV just because the email is going. I've had the BB and email for years, I've never used their email service. Best email advice is to never use your ISP service.

    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I've taken the 99p offer to move to Junara for a year whilst simultaneously manually moving all my details to a gmail account.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I definitely will be ditching Virgin at the end of my current contract.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 616 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    thats probably the best thing to do to buy a bit of time to sort it out

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    That's what I thought, catch anything important that I forget to change.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Is that purely because of the email situation? Or would you be doing it anyway?

    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Long story which I’ve bored people with already but I only stayed with Virgin as my work will not accept a change of email, it’s complicated but the scheme I was contracted under as an outside freelancer no longer exists and I cannot be re authorised. However using Janura gives me another full year to try and persuade them change it. I could even stay with Janura at £79 a year if it comes to it as that’s a neglible amount compared to the money I could potentially lose.

    I’m also struggling with contant drop outs since I renewed my contract I’ve had 3 engineers out already and every bit of my equipment has now been changed. However that might not be just me, having now joined a few Virgin customer groups it seems others have the same issue recently.

    I currently finding Gmail a lot quicker to send and receive emails than Virgin,which has slowed to a crawl, again this seems a common problem . I still haven’t been officially notified of the loss of my email account but some people have reported they lost their email before receiving g any notifications.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.