We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.Autumnal Achieving
Comments
-
Oh my goodness, knocking through on Thursday is exciting progress @greenbee!
Re vinted, the reason I say do it in sections on your phone if you can't do it in one go, is that supposedly the algorithm doesn't feature your item as prominently if you post it from vinted drafts. Don't know if that's true but no point mugging yourself if that's the common wisdom of people who use it as a business
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty2 -
Steps caught up, fruit and veg caught up with, builder obviously not caught up with but you can't have everything.
Happy October for tomorrow everyone! Looking forward to us all continuing to smash our autumn aims 🥂
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty2 -
I planted 200 daffodil, tulip and snowdrop bulbs today which is great, except I decided on impulse to put them into large planters in the back garden (where they will look lovely) instead of the dedicated ‘bulb garden’ where they were supposed to go. Which is fine, but it now means I have to go out in the next day or two and buy another 200 replacement bulbs and plant those in the correct place 🤣🌷
7 -
Do it whilst the sun is shining!
No man is worth crawling on this earth.
So much to read, so little time.2 -
I finally got the company back who fitted my front door. When it’s warm, it’s fine but when it’s cold (ie at 11 pm when I get home sometimes) the lock has been sticking. I don’t really like going round the back of the house in the dark, and it does rely on me remembering not to leave the key on the inside of the back door! Anyway, he’s fiddled with it, and said to see if that improves things. The delay has been entirely down to me not contacting them, despite it being really annoying every time it happens.
I still need to find a handyman and a carpenter, but as I’ve just had the car MOTd and I’m having two new tyres today I think any other home improvements can wait. I’m impressed with everyone’s achievements though, please keep posting as it’s inspirational.
Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.3 -
I've somewhat gone off-piste! 🤦♀️ I've had a pretty intense couple of weeks and have felt a bit ropey for the last couple of days- I'm definitely better now but exhausted today so am hoping to start stuff tomorrow...
Clear out, clean and reorganise my wardrobe - doing on next weeks bedroom day with flylady thread
Get the old towels and bedding to the local wildlife rescue - next weeks mission
Get the veggie beds cleared (where required), weeded and topped up with compost - job for the end of this month
Start on the garden revamp (I've broken it down to smaller areas (about 12 of them I think) so I'd like to complete 2 this autumn - greenhouse is now cleared, hopefully I'll get it cleaned this weekend and then start on the sections next week
Get my toilet 'bombs' made - another mission for next week
Do a deep clean in the yoga room - cats are no longer relocating for the foreseeable future so it will be a good clean needed but absolutely no point in a deep clean yet! 🤦♀️ I'll do it next week on the flylady spare room day
Start the C25K challenge - starting later this month
Start doing home 'gym' sessions once or twice a week - starting at the same time as C25K
Stick to my daily yoga and mindfulness practices - hasn't happened recently, I'll be starting again today
I'm determined to make a start on these things - I have other stuff going on but it's important to clear the decks!
'Happiness is not a destination but the journey you walk every day'
GC - September- £61.23/£350
Debt neutral fund - 2/45
'It's the small compromises you keep making over time that start to add up and get you to a place you don't want to be'2 -
I've called a financial planner and have been slightly put off by them telling me to email with a brief outline of what I want. Why don't they put that on their website?
Managed to get the utility room and kitchen cleared and dust-sheeted and nagged builders to put up plastic sheeting (provided by me), and they have now done the knock-through so hopefully that's the worst of the mess over with. I can't get to coffee or food - or even drinking water - so need to go to the shop shortly for lunch. I'm waiting until my cleaner arrives so I can tell her where all the cleaning stuff has been moved to!
3 -
It has all gone a bit mad here and the pressure is really on for me to get on with things. I have had two years to sort this house out and I feel like i have left 80% of it to the last minute. The reality is that I have done 80% but it is the hard 20% that is left.
Anyway, I have spoken to several people about selling the house. If project 2 goes ahead then I have to have the house on the market very shortly - weeks not months. Yesterday I focussed on ruthless clearance of the upstairs study aka his craft room. I am not paying to move things to a new house where they will fester in boxes for years. I am not. Apart from anything else I will be significantly downsizing and they will not fit.
Scrap metal collection arranged. Photos taken for the house clearance people. The charity wanted £800 plus VAT minimum without even looking at what there is so I am going to get the local one to take the furniture (free), the scrap man to take the metal (free) and then get someone to take the other things that I cannot rehome. I have big bins booked and will probably need another skip anyway.
Panicking ever so slightly. I walked to the village shop for a break (and chocolate) and as I walked back up the sun came out and reminded me that it is a very beautiful old house and that I have done a lot of the hard expensive things that would be a barrier to sale.
I am going to blast out Prodigy and Breathe very loudly and then crack on with piling up scrap metal from the various sheds and stores.
My mortgage free diary: +++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++
GNU Mr Redo5 -
Well done @redofromstart I'm sure you'll find that as you clear out the crap the other stuff will make more sense.
I had a sort out of the stuff in the kitchen that's been hanging around for ages this morning, as I had to clear all the worktops in preparation for covering them before the knock-through started. There's still piles in the office and on the dining table, but that's better than it was.
Luckily the builders finished for the day before my cleaner did, so she and I have removed all the dust sheets into the bin, hoovered and mopped (builders did the worst of the hoovering) and she's wiped down all the surfaces. So I can now get out the stuff I need on the surfaces and leave the rest in cupboards to see whether I use it.
I won't have an oven until Oct 9th at the earliest when the electricians are here, but do have an air fryer in a box and a plug in single ring hob (which is what I use anyway).
Two rows of scything done while the builders were here, and hopefully I'll get another two rows done later. The next few days really do need to be about scything and mowing and not much else!
4 -
I've bought a smoke alarm. I had been meaning to check for a while but I seem to not have any up and working at the moment. I'm not sure how that happened.
I lost my temper a little last night as I couldn't find some notes I really really needed for a 9am meeting today. There is still far too much clutter in this house and I only have myself to blame. I want to go on a declutter rampage fuelled by energy drinks and Starburst, but I have to work today and tonight and tomorrow and then I'm house sitting for a week. Which is exactly why this house is still so cluttered. Grrrrr!!!
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
CC1 £14,122.71 -
CC2 - £6,975
CC3 £6,112.60 £6,495
1st Direct CC £176.03 £151.44
CC total £20,411.34 £13,621.44
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,400
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £3,825
Total £36,195.78 £19,846.44
EF £2,800
HF £3
EB £2503
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




