We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.Autumnal Achieving
Comments
-
Ha get involved @Rosa_Damascena, scent and brain relationship looks at me with contempt and makes me do the things, otherwise I'll have wasted the perfume spray 😂
Put cup hooks in the garden bricks to drape fairy lights on. Well, Mr PIP did but I supervised. Nice to get one of the many things on the minor-ish list done though, too easy for them to never get done as there's always something more pressing, but little quality of life things really do make you feel more like a person who can maybe start the bigger things, I find
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty4 -
A small OAT for me today - finally got round to sending some feedback to someone after an event a couple of weeks ago. I was a designated evaluator for them so I really should have done it earlier 😬
Also finished row 9 of the scything.
4 -
It’s so inspiring to read everyone else’s progress, it really does encourage me to get jobs done even if they are small ones.
Two important things got sorted today : the heating engineer came to service the oil boiler, a particularly urgent task as the hot water was fine but the radiators weren’t working. It had the same issue this time last year and he suspected the pump was sticking after several months of not using the central heating. He fixed it, and also showed me what he had done in case it gets stuck again so I shall add that to my portfolio of DIY tasks I’ve learnt to do 🤣🤣.
The second job was also urgent - the downstairs cloakroom and utility room are in a single storey extension off the kitchen, and yesterday one of the slates managed to work itself loose and slide down off the roof. Luckily it landed on grass and didn’t break, but with rain forecast tomorrow I was worried about further damage. I carried a ladder round to the back of the house, looked at the height involved, listened to the late Mr CJ shouting in my ear “don’t you dare try and do this yourself!” and instead phoned a neighbour. Kindly neighbour came straight round and replaced the roof tile in seconds so the house is watertight again.
During the week I made a little more progress with planting up the new flower border (it now has pink and white climbing roses and clematis, lavender, spirea, monarda, dianthus and blackcurrant salvia), and my goal for the coming week is to arrange the stones for my new rock garden and start digging the new “bulb garden” area ready to plant the snowdrops, tulips, camassia and daffodils. I’m dreading how back-breaking these two tasks will be, but I'm sure it will be worth it come the spring when everything is (hopefully) flowering.
7 -
I've brought the last of the wood up from the alleyway. I have a few logs that I need to cut smaller, and a few old branches to cut for kindling. I probably have enough kindling for the winter but I definitely don't have enough logs.
I've moved two bags of rubbish to near the gate for collection. There's probably another two bags worth to fill and I can get them collected after payday. Also quite a bit for the recycling centre that I've started to sort into piles of plastic, rubble, and metal to make it easier to drop off.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
CC1 £14,122.71 -
CC2 - £6,975
CC3 £6,112.60 £6,495
1st Direct CC £176.03 £151.44
CC total £20,411.34 £13,621.44
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,400
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £3,825
Total £36,195.78 £19,846.44
EF £2,800
HF £3
EB £2503 -
2 vaguely unexpected achievements today.
Met up with an ex-colleague for a chatter at a lovely place she recommended. I was surprised when she mentioned it was more than a year since we had met - normally it's 2 - 3 times a year.
And on the way home checked where the hospital is that OH needs to go to on Wednesday for a CT scan. It's not the regular big local place and one that neither of us has been to previously. He'll be fractious enough about the appointment without us trying to locate it as well.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅5 -
Well no OATs tackled or prevented as shower leaked all over bathroom floor and apparently has been discreetly leaking for a while so had to clean floor and upend, clean, spray with mould spray and air in garden, the bathroom freestanding cabinet. Hoping it can be saved even if it looks a bit dire.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty5 -
Vast amounts of stuff moved into the new pantry in an attempt to make the kitchen feel a bit less depressing (and have less stuff to get covered in dust when the new door is knocked through.
5 -
Had a quietly pottering day yesterday, doing lots of little jobs. Things like decanting the last of the big bottle of f@iry into the one we use, decloaking the multi pack of mineral water bottles in the dining room and putting the overwrap into recycling.
Of greater significance was that I cleared enough space in one bed to get all my germinated broad beans into the ground 😊 I would like the forecast rain to start now please, as I relied on the forecast and didn’t water them in! 😂KK
As at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 70 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 1st October.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.4 -
I've woken up feeling very energised today after feeling so tired for a while. I have texted a few people, called up to change an appointment time, ordered some things from Amazon and I'm making up another donation bag to take tomorrow. I have decided to switch our bedrooms around for the winter so we are moving into the warmer room. I need to do that next week after I have deep cleaned both rooms. I am going to move the pictures around today so at least that is done and I'm going to go and get out the autumn wreath to put up in my living room.
Tomorrow my husband has a GP appointment, then I have a lunch meetup and then a free reiki session afterwards as I won it in a raffle. I have a class on Tuesday and a massage booked. I will move the rooms around on Wednesday.
I'm going to start going back to another class in October, but I will book it nearer to the time.
5 -
I cut up the big logs and branches so that's one job completed.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
CC1 £14,122.71 -
CC2 - £6,975
CC3 £6,112.60 £6,495
1st Direct CC £176.03 £151.44
CC total £20,411.34 £13,621.44
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,400
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £3,825
Total £36,195.78 £19,846.44
EF £2,800
HF £3
EB £2502
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards





