We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Autumnal Achieving

1…161718192022»

Comments

  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,408 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Well done everybody, I love to read how you are always moving things forward.

    I did some more gardening in the autumn sunshine this morning - some overgrown hedging chopped back, and more weeding/tidying in the veg garden. I’ve now pegged down tarpaulins (100 square metres of the stuff!) to hopefully prevent weeds growing there before the spring, when it will get rotavated, levelled, membraned and bark chipped before adding several raised beds. I think I will find that easier to manage, less bending etc.

    I also did I little bit more reorganising of chunks of stone in my soon-to-be-completed rockery, and planted a purple clematis between the pink climbing roses in the ‘cottage garden’. All the half dead, manager’s special, heavily reduced plants which I put in there a couple of weeks ago have recovered beautifully and are looking really good.

    However none of these jobs were on my priority to-do list so I think I have been guilty of procrasti-gardening. 🤣

  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 7,417 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    You will absolutely smash this @redofromstart 💪

    Fantastic progress @greenbee

    Getting a smoke alarm is a major important thing, well done @Rhyddid2026. And you have had a lot of someone else's clutter nonsense to deal with until very recently so no blaming yourself, only action to get your home lovely 🥂 Working is a very mse thing that helps you have a home so that's all good, and it won't be getting any more cluttered while you're away.

    Haha procrastigardening is the best sort @C_J. You've done brilliantly, 100 sqm!

    I have done three vinted listings, determined to doggedly pursue this pile while it's the relevant season otherwise I've given myself a pile of stuff to sit in my gaff for another year or wasted earning potential

  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,792 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Flu jab done (I'm tired, dog is not, builders still here so I can't leave him unsupervised and go and have a nap).

    Did a quick supermarket shop on the way home so I won't starve over the next few days.

    B&Q voucher from cashback site arrived, so shredder ordered online from B&Q via cashback site using the voucher to bring the price down significantly. I've since realised that I need to remember to use the Mozillion app to order discounted gift cards as well, as this will reduce my mobile bill. Saving money is hard work!

    Shredder due to arrive tomorrow.

  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,408 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I met with the builder this morning and he’s promised to email me a quote for taking up, re-levelling then re-laying the paving slabs for the base of the new shed, with a view to getting the work finished by the end of next week. He did make noises about it being better if I had foundations dug and a concrete pad laid, but I have feeling that might be better for him, not me 🤣. He’s a good guy though and I’ve known him a long time so he won’t be ripping me off, and I suppose I can’t blame him for trying to upsell!

    I went to the garden centre afterwards and bought a dozen reduced price perennial plants (geums, echinacea, hibiscus, potentilla, hellebores) some of which were massive and all of which have now been planted and watered in. Yay me!

  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 7,417 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Another vinted listing. Got to keep that algorithm, um, rithming

  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,792 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Two queries about my FBMP microwave - one said 'are you open to offers' so I replied saying yes… no response. The other has asked whether I can check the colour of the display 🙄 which is a PITA as at the moment the stupid thing is in the middle of the floor … also his FB info puts him about 240 miles from me - maybe I should point that out to him before I bother plugging it in?

  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 10,815 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    House insurance rolled over to renewal today. Logged the value on an informal tracker we are using for a rush of current expenses.

    Boiler service completed and new sensor fitted. Mr KK is dealing with that bill 😊

    Potting shed fully emptied! 🤯 and left over Lino off it Mr KK got his hands on has been put down. Very pleased with it. 😊 Not quite so pleased at the thought of having to put everything back in there ….😉

    KK

    As at 26.09.26:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
    - OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
    c. 17 months reduction in term
    Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030

    Read 70 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 1st October. 
    Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026

    Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
    Watch your words, they become your actions. 
    Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 18,850 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Love reading this thread and seeing how productive you are!

    (Also I try very hard not to compare my singular self to the combined might of the rest of you, which is easy to do sometimes 😂)

    Anyway, I am here to report my car buying/selling shenanigans are OVER! It's been dragging on since May so this is a big OAT. We now have 2 new cars, both properly insured & taxed, and the 2 old cars have been passed on, with the DVLA notified, for scrap/off road practicing 😂 One has been bartered for the farmer fixing a couple of roof tiles, and the other for an unknown sum which I'm told should appear at my house by some means tomorrow (I'm not in, but whatever).

    I have also printed off today's new insurance and filed it, along with new keepers slips, old V5s with addresses of the new people on etc. Very pleased to close the book on that particular alarm project.

    Next project - find an electrician who will fit the fuse spur that was meant to be fitted with the boiler 😬 Not today though!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.