We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can Google Maps display the road speed limit?

1235

Comments

  • matt_drummer
    matt_drummer Posts: 2,368
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    What did you get pulled over for on the M63?

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,165
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    What kind of telephone were you running the app on, when this happened? The M63 hasn't existed since 1998! Its quite twisty anyway….

  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,222
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I'm with WIAWSNB. I find it (displaying speed limits on car satnav) really useful. Unlike some posters here who are perfect drivers, I make the odd mistake behind the wheel and should I miscount a lamp post or miss a sign, the electronic reminder is a useful backup. I find this is especially useful when scrolling youtube videos.

  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    There is a 20mph tlimit hrough a village near me that has had 20mph signs for at least 6 years BUT not according to my Sat Nav that still shows it as 30mph

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,744
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 February at 12:40AM

    For doing 30mph - it had streetlights.

    They let me off when I told them how Miffed I was.

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,744
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Paul and Shiny, thanks for lightening the thread :-)

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,536
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    A mile of dual carriageway near me that I drive maybe fortnightly has recently reduced the limit from 40 to 20 (right after a stretch of 50). I missed the change to the signage (over-familiarity and lack of attention) and the first inkling I had was my Waze app bonging a warning. Was enough for me to register the change on the next repeater (and slow down).

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,630
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Let's go back a step.

    How do you think the phone is telling you the limit? By reference to your location and a back-end map.
    Do you think that back-end map is guaranteed accurate?

    Now think about your line-of-sight. You're talking about AndroidAuto to the screen in your dash, for which you need to take your eyes off the stuff happening outside the car, and refocus closer. The limit will be a small icon in one corner of the screen, a few mm across.

    You say you won't be "relying" on it… so we're all in agreement that your primary source of the information is still outside the car?

    Given that tells you everything you need to know, assuming you pay attention and have a working short-term memory, what does this add?

    If you aren't paying attention, then you are likely to have bigger issues. Because if you aren't seeing signage, what else are you missing?

  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,813
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I believe I have made my position very clear. I asked, "Can Google Maps display the road speed limits?"

    But you’ve moved on from your opening question. You asked whether it was unreasonable to want to know the speed limit, other than by scanning the sidewalks for a repeater each time?

    It’s not unreasonable. If you are to avoid being caught speeding you need to rely on something. There are a few ways to do that. You can look out of the window so as to be aware of your surroundings. These will include indications (as mentioned here) of the prevailing limit. Personally I find the best way to know the prevailing limit is to keep it in my mind after passing a sign which changes it, until I see another sign which changes it again. A combination of these two has served me quite well.

    Whether you rely on it or not, you seem to want or possibly need something over and above those two methods (which are fairly reliable to a competent and careful driver). If you do use some form of gadgetry which supposedly tells you the prevailing limit you should be prepared for inaccuracies.

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,744
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yes, I can't believe this has reached five pages either.

    And the speed at which it did so…

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.