We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread

1…656657659661662…664

Comments

  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 2,777
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Scottish BS

    Yes, it's a bit misleading "Your 12-month Regular Saver will mature on 08/10/2026. On this date we’ll add the interest you’ve earned to your balance and transfer your money to an Instant Access Saver account." However, today is not over yet😀 I guess it will morph at midnight.

  • qbadger
    qbadger Posts: 56
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Scottish BS

    Interest has been added in my account

  • Scottish

    Thanks - I've just checked and it's morphed into an Instant Access 2 with just over £102 interest

    👍

  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 4,600
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Thinking ahead…

    Am I right in thinking it’s a yes to an 11th payment into Furness 160th?

    West Brom Winter Ready is obviously a no as all accounts mature on 31st October irrespective of when opened and I think stated a maximum balance too.

    Does anyone know what Dudley’s RS mature into? Wondering what the minimum balance is.

  • clairec666
    clairec666 Posts: 1,518
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 October at 6:44AM

    Furness - I've got an 11th payment scheduled on my spreadsheet, but looking back at the T&Cs it isn't clear either way. Projected balance is calculated from 10 payments on the 1st of each month (as per usual) but no mention of a maximum balance.

    Progressive - anyone who's had a rainy day saver mature recently, did you check your interest calculations? Mine was lower than expected (about £1) - before I delve into my spreadsheet in great detail I thought I'd see if anyone else had noticed a discrepancy.

    [EDIT] - Scrap that - I'd entered the maturity date wrong, so one day less of interest covers most of the discrepancy. It still doesn't quite match to the penny but it'll do for now.

  • bluehydrangeas
    bluehydrangeas Posts: 168
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Hello. I currently have a Santander Regular Saver account which pays 8% yearly interest on a maximum monthly deposit of £200. I just wanted to confirm, is it correct that it works differently to most regular savers in that you are supposed to deposit exactly a month after opening the account, each month? For example, if you opened the account on August 10th, would you deposit funds on September 10th, October 10th etc? With other accounts, I've always deposited on the 1st day of every month after the month the account was opened.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,786
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 October at 7:05AM

    Yes, the earliest you can deposit is the day on which you opened the account. There is nothing to stop you delaying, but you cannot bring forward. There are a few others that do this, but it is uncommon. It is indicated on the first page by "per account month" rather than "per calendar month".

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,493
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Dudley RS

    I've looked at the T&Cs for a couple - Festive & 1225 - and they both state that if you don't give maturity instructions the proceeds will be transferred into the, "default maturity account." Given the RS' are easy access I'd guess it'll be another easy access account.

    "At the end of the 1 year term, you can invest in another account with the society or withdraw your money. Prior to your account maturing, we will provide you with details of other accounts available. If you do not tell us what you would like to do with the funds, your funds will be transferred into the default maturity account that is available at the time of maturity, but you may not receive the same interest rate."

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.