We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread

1…646647649651652…654

Comments

  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    RS Spreadsheets:

    I update my spreadsheet as and when I open/close a new regular saver, or if I'm away from my spreadsheet then I'll update it that night when I'm updating the RS lists for this thread. To my knowledge I haven't missed one off that tab.

    The only errors tend to come from forecasting cashflow across months as I'll list the types of RSs and the combined amount, e.g. I have "6%+ (NWDs only)" listed for 1st November as that's the amount I'm expecting to pay into RSs that are strictly greater than 6% on 1st November, if I open new RSs throughout the month this figure may become out of date, though I double check my figures throughout the month anyway so it isn't usually an issue for long.

  • mon3ysav3r
    mon3ysav3r Posts: 313 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 5 October at 2:38PM

    See this is how I make mistakes!, will update dates in my original post

  • fuzzzzy
    fuzzzzy Posts: 435 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes this is what I do. I don't have plastic sleeves though, I just have separate folders for fixed rate, easy access, regular savers, and ISAs and I have a separate envelope for each account within each folder. Whenever I open a new account I will write the details on a surplus envelope (I save these and have lots available) immediately and pop it in the correct folder. If I receive posted paperwork from the provider account I will pop it in the relevant envelope. If I don't it will just sit in the folder as an empty envelope (noted in my death file for offspring that empty envelopes will still be full accounts!)

    Having said that though I did once discover by chance I had a rather chunky fixed rate account (more than 5k) that I had no record of and had totally forgotten about, so obviously not a fool-proof method.

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,770 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Suffolk BS

    has been transferred to a "Online Maturity Holding Account" at only 1.6%AER

    Not that anyone here would intentionally leave money in a 1.6% account, but worth noting that the "Online Maturity Holding Account" is only temporary - if you don't give them withdrawal/transfer instructions within 28(??) days they close the account anyway, and send the proceeds to your nominated account. So even if you've forgotten about the account they won't keep your money earning 1.6% for eternity.

    I've always had a letter in the post about two weeks before maturity. For the online accounts they say that if withdrawal instructions are given 4 working days before maturity the transfer will happen the next working day after maturity.

    For the branch/post accounts the instruction won't be actioned until the day after maturity (i.e. 1st October in the most recent case) and the transfer made the next working day after that. So unless you withdraw cash in a branch on the 1st, the earliest you can get your money would be the 2nd.

    On several occasions I've asked Suffolk to consider allowing internal transfer funding of RS accounts because maturity on the last day of a month would (typically) mean having cleared funds sitting in an EA account which could easily be transferred internally to fund other RS accounts… but their policy at present is not to allow this and instead require the faff of sending letters/passbooks in the post and funds being sent to/from an external account. Maybe if more members ask for the same thing Suffolk might start thinking about it. Eventually.

  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 4,585 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I found £500 once, in a NS&I GGB. I remember taking it out at 6.something as the rate was worth tying it up for + Halifax Rewards £5. I then rolled it over due to no RS capacity when it matured and then forgot about it for most of that year until logging in to change my nominated account for Premium Bonds. I have a spreadsheet for RS so don’t lose those, plus a notebook page making sure I have something maturing in each month for the coming year.

    Re: Suffolk, I had it in mind from reading posts here that they would be the slowest to access funds from if maturity instructions were not set, so will make sure I do (didn’t set with Melton or Loughbrough and in the latter case, waited until interest was added on maturity before phoning for a balance check (so I could take out as much as possible while keeping the account open to retain membership.)

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,335 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    For accounts you have no 'official' paperwork for, just put a sheet of paper with some handwritten note in one of your plastic folders?

    I have a small selection of plastic folders myself, for stuff which I have to absolutely keep in paper form, such as the pesky passbooks some building societies still insist on. The rest is all filed electronically, one folder per institution, on Google Drive. I wish there was a personal finance manager which lets you store an unlimited number of attachments.

    Apologies for straying off topic though…..

  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    … with no withdrawals except closure it has changed a good product to a bad one

  • Born2Save_3
    Born2Save_3 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Multiple RS with Skipton is not possible now ?
    Would it be possible and worthwhile to refresh from a Skipton BS Member Regular Saver (Issue 5), 5.75%A (I think), opened in Jan 2026 and funded every month ?

  • clairec666
    clairec666 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Possible? Yes, I think so.

    Worthwhile? Depends on whether you think the variable rate would be better (or no worse) than the base rate tracker.

    Personally, I think Skipton will keep the rate in line with the previous issue for the time being, as their interest rates tend to be consistent and fair, and they don't strike me as the kind of provider who likes to irk their members. But by changing the terms they've given themselves the flexibility to drop the interest rate in future, or similarly not raise the rate if the base rate increases.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.