We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread

1…636637638639641

Comments

  • alfred64
    alfred64 Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Why don't you phone them? They are usually very helpful.

  • Born2Save_3
    Born2Save_3 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Just made a card payment for £25 which was accepted and is as usual. Maybe it is a manual check or not at all. A day or two will reveal.

  • BestSeagull
    BestSeagull Posts: 332 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Tipton. It's not a problem. Both the app account and the postal account are allowed to be held at the same time.

  • SloughSally
    SloughSally Posts: 85 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I also find ChatGPT far superior than Claude, but I guess it’s up to the user and besides I do not think this forum thread was set up to discuss the merits of AI software. Let’s get back on topic.

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,478 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Tipton

    Hmpf, that rather depends on the member of staff who deals with your application: my postal application was returned with a note saying you cannot have both.

  • BestSeagull
    BestSeagull Posts: 332 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes, I realise that happened to some people and that is not good, I'm sorry.

    I've been less than impressed with the way they are handling my app issue to be honest but because I am having this issue, I'm now speaking with someone further up the chain who is fully aware that I have both accounts and is perfectly happy with it.

    In your shoes I'd be contesting that decision as at the time the accounts went on sale, there was nothing to say that you couldn't have both. (No idea if they have since changed the t&c)

    I specifically asked them before applying too as I wouldn't go to the trouble of applying for a paper account that I was going to be rejected for.

  • mon3ysav3r
    mon3ysav3r Posts: 310 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Regarding Tipton they credited the correct amount of 200 (from my 250) to my postal/branch regular saver account today (as shown in the app).

    I phoned them, they picked phone up straight away no waiting in a queue, and they confirmed that they will be returning just the 50 pound over payment.

    Good service received here.

  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 4,559 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    The ‘problem’ only arose because the account allegedly wasn’t supposed to be made available for app opening. Given that, it wasn’t surprising that a) Tipton did not specify that only one of the two versions could be held, because why would you have to exclude something that won’t exist and that b) When someone did put up an app version, customers inferred from the absence of any such exclusion that they were entitled to apply for and hold both versions.

    When they realised the app version had gone out (inside 12 hours looking at how long the app version lasted for) they could have limited the applications for the postal version by adding a line on their website to exclude holding both versions. Anyone who didn’t have a timestamped screenshot without the restriction there would have had no case, and some others would have been dissuaded, not wanting to waste a stamp on an application that might be rejected. There was no consistent line on how postal applications from someone who already had an app version should be handled, which made everything messier than it needed to be.

    If the app version had never gone live, there would have been no doubling up as it was clear from the start that branch/post was the same account and that only one per person was permitted. In 2026, I don’t know why anyone would wish for accounts to be branch only. Branches are closing, which reduces choice in that you would be left with whatever happens to be local to you. The only people that win are people living in The Midlands, which seems to be in easy travelling distance of the most societies. Or those from further afield with a free travel pass and enough time available to them to make the journey. Those with mobility problems would be left with nothing.

  • Born2Save_3
    Born2Save_3 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Melton BS Apology / Explanation Email

    I don't think this has been posted yet :

    "We're writing to let you know about an issue that affected the calculation of interest on your account with us.
    Following the recent maturity, we identified a system error which has resulted in the interest on your account being calculated incorrectly. We sincerely apologise for this mistake.
    We have identified that you were entitled to additional interest as a result of the calculation error. As a result we have now paid the amount due to you directly to your nominated bank account. This payment has been made even if your savings balance remains with us and has not yet been withdrawn.
    We're working to ensure that interest statements correctly reflect the interest you've earned this year, please bear with us whilst we do this.

    What you need to do
    You do not need to take any action. The payment has already been processed and should appear in your nominated bank account shortly, if it has not done so already.

    Your account
    This correction relates only to the interest calculation and does not affect the security of your savings or any other aspect of your account. We have taken steps to correct the issue and prevent it from happening again.

    We understand that accuracy is important, particularly when it comes to your savings, and we are sorry for any concern or inconvenience this may cause.

    Should you have any questions or need any assistance you can contact us on 01664 414141, details of our opening hours can be found on our website www.themelton.co.uk.

    Thank you for your understanding and for choosing Melton Building Society

    Yours sincerely, 

    Melton person - name removed

    Chief Customer officer 

    Melton Building Society "

  • dcs34
    dcs34 Posts: 909 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Melton BS Regular Saver 6 Maturity Issues

    I had £24.74 of interest added yesterday and the maturing amount was paid into my nominated account in the early morning, no manual intervention by myself required (I had posted maturity instructions).

    I have had a further £116.17 of interest paid directly to my nominated account today.

    This seems to match the figures for another poster on here, so I will take it as being accurate.

    Generally I've tried to fund the account on 1st of each month, albeit I do this manually on the 1st of each month and possibly later than a mid-afternoon cut-off might count.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.