We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread

1…421422424426427…656

Comments

  • clairec666
    clairec666 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Quite the opposite for me, I've got more than usual maturing in October. Progressive, West Brom and Hanley released regular savers around October last year.

  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 31 July at 8:04PM

    I open them as soon as they come out. I never plan for an even distribution throughout the year. However, something is maturing every month - 3 this month, 2 in August, 4 in September, 3 in October, 3 in November and so on. Turned out to be fairly balanced without making any effort.

  • SJMALBA
    SJMALBA Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 July at 8:04PM

    My RS8 matured today, but it's still showing online (IME, online takes 2 days to update with any changes).

    I phoned Mon BS this morning, who confirmed that it had matured, but said they can’t action closure & withdrawal over the phone. but that I could close it online, despite online not showing the update; the first I knew of the actual amount of interest was when the full amount (capital and interest) arrived in my NA after 17:00 (I didn’t bother asking during the call).

    Online therefore not ideal, but it’s ultimately possible to get the full amount back to your NA on the same day as maturity.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,782 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 July at 8:27PM

    MonBS

    I didn't see a closure option for the maturity account from within the app, so that's a benefit of the online portal. I might as well release the pennies of accrued interest now rather than in the next tax year. I waited for the interest to be added in the app (rather than having to withdraw that separately), and hence all of the funds were in the maturity account overnight. The app also doesn't show you the balance of the account on the withdrawal page, so you have to remember or make a note of it. That alone meant I had to enter my NA details twice, realising I'd forgotten exactly how much I needed to withdraw on the first attempt.

  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    MonBS

    The app didn't remember my nominated account, but it was very quick to put the details in and it was approved in seconds. Would've been annoying if I was withdrawing daily🙂

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,782 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 July at 8:28PM

    MonBS

    For me, that is a concern in itself. Will it accept any details you feed it? Does it simply record them and the checks are actually done later, holding up funds if you make an error or choose a different account than the one you specified on opening the RS?

    I ended up entering mine three times in total. Once for a test withdrawal, which I'd hoped would make them "stick". Then twice when I went to withdraw the full balance, given I had to go back and write down the balance when I realised this would not be available once I'd left the main screen.

    More of a faff than I'll tolerate when there is an alternative choice. And it seems I'll still need to use the online service to close and get the accrued interest from the maturity account.

  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    I don't think it will accept any details you feed in. I assume the system checks CoP prior to transfer. Same as with Principality, you have to input your bank details for each withdrawal. I can't remember how it works with MonBS online, hopefully it has a better memory than the app🙂

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,782 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 July at 8:44PM

    MonBS

    I am confident there wasn't time for a COP check to have been performed between me submitting details and receiving the immediate confirmation they had been updated, so very likely the staff take those details and run them through COP (or simply compare them to the stored details) when reviewing payments in the afternoon. So if there is any problem, it may not be caught in time for anything to be done, and therefore may delay payment. But we can only speculate.

  • crumpet_man
    crumpet_man Posts: 897 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    This worked for me in the MonBS when I couldn't remember the exact balance, I put in a much larger number and when I tried to proceed it told me I had insufficient funds and then showed the account balance in a pop up.

  • nottsphil
    nottsphil Posts: 992 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Monm BS

    The phone I had my app on no longer works, and I'm currently using my previous phone which is too old for the app. How do I apply for the browser access with no app? I rather foolishly failed to make a note of the account numbers, so can't even quote those to CS 🤔

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.