We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread
Comments
-
Santander & Lloyds/BOS 8% Reg Savers
Hi all, I just slogged through 30+ pages of chat here after (naturally!) not keeping an eye on the RS thread for a few days. I wonder if anyone could help with these questions linked to the associated current accounts:
- I don't have a current account with either Santander or Lloyds/BOS. I see that a few folk have mentioned that opening one only takes 5 mins.
- I realise that this would entail a hard credit check - that should not be a problem as I'm pretty sure our credit profile is excellent, BUT we don't want to switch away from existing current account provider
- Can you just open a standard current account these days without switching from another bank?
- A quick search on Lloyds Classic current acc and Santander Everyday current acc suggests that minimum payment in is not required (so I wouldn't have to faff about putting large sums in and out each month) - can anyone with experience confirm?
- Even as someone who is not concerned about going through a hard credit check, is it a bad idea to open two new current accounts on the same day/in the same week? 😄
- If I were to go ahead and open a new joint account with either/both Santander and Lloyds, to then access their 8% Reg Savers, would that allow both myself and OH to open one Reg Saver each, at each bank?
I don't really fancy taking a chance on trying to open either of these without having a current account, as I reckon they'd likely just close it again. Well, I have an ISA with Santander and actually did open their new RS just now, but that was in error 🙃 (I'd got the terms mixed up, with all this discussion going on!). I only realised at completion when I saw it didn't provide me with standard acc number & sort code to pay funds in. So I guess I'll ask them to close it again. Depending on answers to above, I'll re-try if it's straightforward to open Santander current acc.
I do (did) have an existing Halifax Reg Saver as well as a few other savings accounts with them. Thanks to the many folk upthread who explained, I managed to access the new 8% version. My existing Hx RS only had a month to go, so as advised I "renewed" it to a bog standard Everyday Saver and then cashed that in along with the interest, using part of it to fund the opening payment for the new Halifax Reg Saver at 8%. Logged out and in again to see the correct account summary. PS we also hit the "loop of doom" when trying to open a new Hx Reg Saver for my OH, encouraged by the info that new customers could do so. Just to confirm what others have experienced. Whether the Ts & Cs are incorrect, or it's a system glitch that will be updated at some point, I don't know. It did seem a bit odd that it would be allowed, given that Halifax accounts will be fully subsumed soon into Lloyds.
0 - I don't have a current account with either Santander or Lloyds/BOS. I see that a few folk have mentioned that opening one only takes 5 mins.
-
Scottish BS registration for new online portal.
I re-registered as soon as I saw this post yesterday and just now, the code arrived by email rather than post, thankfully. So much quicker than waiting for the code in the post but I'm still a bit annoyed that they didn't bother to notify customers in advance.
1 -
Based on the huge number of posts here recently, I suspect many will suggest you keep trying and see just how many you can get to until (a) you get bored or (b) BoS stop you.
If you want to be sure of not being sanctioned by LBG, I think you know what you should do.
0 -
If it was anywhere else I probably would but I wouldn't take the chance with LBG, myself.
2 -
I've got no intention of even attempting more, I only realised I have 2 when I looked through my e-mails and noticed different account numbers.
1 -
I will leave the 2nd one then, hopefully even if they notice they won't take action if its left unfunded.
0 -
I don't see the sense in it either but I appear to be fully registered having used the email code I received today. I can see my account when I couldn't yesterday having only started the re-registration process.
1 -
As mentioned by @DiamondLil, I was able to open both regular savers without having an active current account with either Halifax or Lloyds.
I already had both the apps though as an existing customer, so not sure if that makes a difference.
1 -
Scottish BS
I received an email on Tuesday at 17:18 to inform me that the online portal was changing.
I would have assumed it went to everyone, as it wasn’t personalised in any way.Pasted below for anyone who may be interested (how something can be both new and improved isn’t clear):
Your new and improved SBS Online
Dear Member,
We have recently updated SBS Online, making it even easier to manage your account(s) online.You will receive an email from us in the next few days asking you to register for the new system. This is a genuine message from Scottish Building Society, and it will include a link to help you get started. Please also check your junk mail folder in case the email goes there. We wanted to let you know in advance so you know what to expect and can feel confident the registration link is safe to use.
YOUR ACCOUNTS ARE NOT CHANGING Rest assured, there is no change to your account(s) and account number(s). The update only affects the online service you use to access and manage them.
When the registration email arrives, please follow the instructions provided. Registration is easy and needs to be completed before the existing online service closes on 28 August 2026 to ensure your online access continues without interruption.
If you have any questions or need support, we’ll be here to help. You can call us on 0333 207 4007 (option 4). Lines are open from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday (10am-5pm on Wednesday).
Want to register today? You don’t need to wait for the registration email, you can simply visit our website and click on the ‘SBS Online’ button in the top right corner. This will navigate you to the new system. Otherwise, please look out for our registration email with link and instructions arriving in the next few days.
Thank you,
The SBS Online Team
2 -
Scottish BS Online Re-RegistrationI did the same, wondering if sending out the letter triggers a copy to be sent to the email address provided an electronic ID check was passed or something (the original instructions did say they would send by email if possible.) It would of course be best if no letters were sent to those of us receiving a second email code, but given the use of ‘postal verification code’ on the portal when reregistering on the portal and the text in the second email (which to my mind implies this is the final code only) it isn’t as clear as it could be that this code should be entered into the postal verification code field.
This new system is the same one as Family BS switched to in May last year.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


