We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Contactless... limitless

124

Comments

  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,505 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 December 2025 at 9:52AM
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I've given up using my phone to pay. Every time, it asks me to unlock wallet to use it (3 times within an hour recently) so I've reverted to using the card. Google wallet is a waste of space for me. 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,516 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I've given up using my phone to pay. Every time, it asks me to unlock wallet to use it (3 times within an hour recently) so I've reverted to using the card. Google wallet is a waste of space for me. 
    Touch finger print sensor, job done.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,505 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    molerat said:
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I've given up using my phone to pay. Every time, it asks me to unlock wallet to use it (3 times within an hour recently) so I've reverted to using the card. Google wallet is a waste of space for me. 
    Touch finger print sensor, job done.

    Doesn't get around the annoyance of not telling you it needs unlocking until you've tried it once and you can't unlock it beforehand. It's quicker keeping the card in the phone case and swiping that. One action instead of two. 
  • molerat said:
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I've given up using my phone to pay. Every time, it asks me to unlock wallet to use it (3 times within an hour recently) so I've reverted to using the card. Google wallet is a waste of space for me. 
    Touch finger print sensor, job done.

    Doesn't get around the annoyance of not telling you it needs unlocking until you've tried it once and you can't unlock it beforehand. It's quicker keeping the card in the phone case and swiping that. One action instead of two. 
    Get an iPhone instead then.

    Lift phone towards face, double click the side button, select the card you want to use (if it isn't the default) and it automatically redoes FaceID before you've had a chance to even rect.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,105 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    molerat said:
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I've given up using my phone to pay. Every time, it asks me to unlock wallet to use it (3 times within an hour recently) so I've reverted to using the card. Google wallet is a waste of space for me. 
    Touch finger print sensor, job done.

    Doesn't get around the annoyance of not telling you it needs unlocking until you've tried it once and you can't unlock it beforehand. It's quicker keeping the card in the phone case and swiping that. One action instead of two. 
    Get an iPhone instead then.

    Lift phone towards face, double click the side button, select the card you want to use (if it isn't the default) and it automatically redoes FaceID before you've had a chance to even rect.
    My Pixel phone can do exactly that.  
    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    molerat said:
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I've given up using my phone to pay. Every time, it asks me to unlock wallet to use it (3 times within an hour recently) so I've reverted to using the card. Google wallet is a waste of space for me. 
    Touch finger print sensor, job done.

    Doesn't get around the annoyance of not telling you it needs unlocking until you've tried it once and you can't unlock it beforehand. It's quicker keeping the card in the phone case and swiping that. One action instead of two. 
    I'm not sure what phone you are using but on all the android phones I've had, so long as the phone is unlocked then you can pay.      When I'm waiting for the cashier to put the goods through, I unlock my phone ready and then about 20 seconds later when the cashier has finished I put my phone to the pad and it pays.   It's incredibly easy and quick.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,505 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 26 December 2025 at 11:17AM
    molerat said:
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I've given up using my phone to pay. Every time, it asks me to unlock wallet to use it (3 times within an hour recently) so I've reverted to using the card. Google wallet is a waste of space for me. 
    Touch finger print sensor, job done.

    Doesn't get around the annoyance of not telling you it needs unlocking until you've tried it once and you can't unlock it beforehand. It's quicker keeping the card in the phone case and swiping that. One action instead of two. 
    I'm not sure what phone you are using but on all the android phones I've had, so long as the phone is unlocked then you can pay.      When I'm waiting for the cashier to put the goods through, I unlock my phone ready and then about 20 seconds later when the cashier has finished I put my phone to the pad and it pays.   It's incredibly easy and quick.
    It's a motorola G53. Not only do you have to unlock the phone but unlock the wallet
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,505 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    dumpster_fire2025 said:
    Get an iPhone instead then.

    Lift phone towards face, double click the side button, select the card you want to use (if it isn't the default) and it automatically redoes FaceID before you've had a chance to even rect.
    Give me the money and I'll buy one
  • molerat said:
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I've given up using my phone to pay. Every time, it asks me to unlock wallet to use it (3 times within an hour recently) so I've reverted to using the card. Google wallet is a waste of space for me. 
    Touch finger print sensor, job done.

    Doesn't get around the annoyance of not telling you it needs unlocking until you've tried it once and you can't unlock it beforehand. It's quicker keeping the card in the phone case and swiping that. One action instead of two. 
    I'm not sure what phone you are using but on all the android phones I've had, so long as the phone is unlocked then you can pay.      When I'm waiting for the cashier to put the goods through, I unlock my phone ready and then about 20 seconds later when the cashier has finished I put my phone to the pad and it pays.   It's incredibly easy and quick.
    It's a motorola G53. Not only do you have to unlock the phone but unlock the wallet
    It should only ask to re-verify if the phone has been unlocked for more than three minutes.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,777 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It's a motorola G53. Not only do you have to unlock the phone but unlock the wallet
    It should only ask to re-verify if the phone has been unlocked for more than three minutes.
    Hmmm, maybe extra security in the Moto devices.

    I have a Moto G13 and that requires to unlock the phone and then to unlock the wallet to make a payment.  Same as all my previous Moto G-series phones before.  Sometimes, it will ask for a pin-unlock in addition to the biometrics unlock (which has to be done twice).  It is really rather frustrating that I rarely bother with pay by phone.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.