We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Contactless... limitless

135

Comments

  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 22 December 2025 at 5:42PM
    I totally agree.

    It is quite frustrating when we are always being held back by people who just can't cope with any change (smart meters etc.).     I'm quite happy for the change, and the people who don't like it can just disable on their card or restrict to a low amount.
  • Due to the increased cost of food shopping it would be better if they increased the £100 limit to say £150 ,would not like limitless due to possible fraud.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,127 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    I am unclear as to how we, the collective we including individuals and financial institutions can be protected against a limitless contactless spend facility if the card falls into the hands of the incorrect people. 

    It is not enough to simply say that individuals are protected because the financial institutions will reimburse them as, ultimately, that cost still falls on us all to pick up the tab through the charges and fees that the financial institutions need to apply.

    There is also a risk of error.  I think people may not be particularly diligent when paying by contactless in actually checking the value displayed on the screen.  We should all be, but the reality is otherwise.
    What it requires is a more proactive approach by people to ensure that they know & check where their cards are. The number I see being reported as found & is this yours on local facebook group is scary... Had to give up telling them to report to bank, due to abuse.

    The number of cases where "I have no idea when I lost it" is crazy.. Especially when it's 2 weeks after the fraud started...
    Life in the slow lane
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Lots of banks allow us to set a contactless limit on our debit cards. I have not been able to find a single bank that allows us to set a contactless limit for a credit card.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,516 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 December 2025 at 10:35PM
    GeoffTF said:
    Lots of banks allow us to set a contactless limit on our debit cards. I have not been able to find a single bank that allows us to set a contactless limit for a credit card.
    Lloyds, Halifax and MBNA for starters.
    And TSB
    Tesco and Asda/JaJa do not have the option.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,105 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I can't remember when I last used a physical card.
    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I totally agree.

    It is quite frustrating when we are always being held back by people who just can't cope with any change (smart meters etc.).     I'm quite happy for the change, and the people who don't like it can just disable on their card or restrict to a low amount.
    Interesting you should use smart meters as an example, when there are many logical reasons not to want one. Not a good example. 
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 16 March at 1:03PM
    I totally agree.

    It is quite frustrating when we are always being held back by people who just can't cope with any change (smart meters etc.).     I'm quite happy for the change, and the people who don't like it can just disable on their card or restrict to a low amount.
    Interesting you should use smart meters as an example, when there are many logical reasons not to want one. Not a good example. 
    It's a great example.   I've still yet to hear a valid logical reason for not having them and the benefits they bring can make a massive difference in bills.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,105 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 March at 1:03PM
    I totally agree.

    It is quite frustrating when we are always being held back by people who just can't cope with any change (smart meters etc.).     I'm quite happy for the change, and the people who don't like it can just disable on their card or restrict to a low amount.
    Interesting you should use smart meters as an example, when there are many logical reasons not to want one. Not a good example. 
    It's a great example.   I've still yet to hear a valid logical reason for not having them and the benefits they bring can make a massive difference in bills.
    My first smart meters became stupid meters the next time I changed provider - who subsequently replaced them.  Those meters in turn stopped working a few years later.  Each time there was cosmetic damage around the electricity meter.  That, and the waste, means I am not motivated to try again.  I'm happy to submit manual readings monthly.
    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 16 March at 1:03PM
    I totally agree.

    It is quite frustrating when we are always being held back by people who just can't cope with any change (smart meters etc.).     I'm quite happy for the change, and the people who don't like it can just disable on their card or restrict to a low amount.
    Interesting you should use smart meters as an example, when there are many logical reasons not to want one. Not a good example. 
    It's a great example.   I've still yet to hear a valid logical reason for not having them and the benefits they bring can make a massive difference in bills.
    My first smart meters became stupid meters the next time I changed provider - who subsequently replaced them.  Those meters in turn stopped working a few years later.  Each time there was cosmetic damage around the electricity meter.  That, and the waste, means I am not motivated to try again.  I'm happy to submit manual readings monthly.
    Smart meter doesn't communicate anymore?   Just make a manual reading of it as you would a non-smart meter.  Simple really.

    My parents smart gas meter is too far away from the electric smart meter and doesn't communicate.   They have to read it every month like they would a non-smart meter.    That is no reason at all not to have a smart meter.

    Non-smart meters are no different than smart meters apart from the communication and can fail as can any device we use if you are unlucky enough.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.