We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tomato Energy (Electric Only Supplier) - Too Good To Be True ?

1…268269271273274

Comments

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,737 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    You don't think Ofgem will have to eventually get proper final bills produced one way or another and cough up under the guarantee?

  • FastShow
    FastShow Posts: 17 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March at 10:14AM

    Tough crowd. You're right, in an ideal world I would have given an updated reading earlier, but the amount in question is only 5 or 6 weeks more usage than what I'd consumed, is that really that unusual? I'm frequently away from home for a couple of months at a time, and I'm supposed to be protected by Ofgem so I wasn't exactly stressed about it. I honestly assumed that giving British Gas the correct opening reading would have reconciled everything, clearly that wasn't right, hence why I'm now here asking for advice on who to pursue.

  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 11,284 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper

    but the amount in question is only 5 or 6 weeks more usage than what I'd consumed, is that really that unusual? I'm frequently away from home for a couple of months at a time, and I'm supposed to be protected by Ofgem so I wasn't exactly stressed about it.

    … when you are with a supplier that had been circling the drain for months it was more than slightly reckless to pay them more than you owed.

    Especially as this was a supplier that did not operate with rolling account balances and was supposed to be billing just month by month for actual use.

    It is likely to take a long time to sort this one out, especially as you did not have an account balance at the time the administrators were appointed, just an incorrectly billed account.

    BG are not assisting the administrators with the final billing so I would just make sure you have advised the administrators of your claim and then be prepared to wait…

  • Bobohead
    Bobohead Posts: 23 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Is there a usual time frame for recieving your final bill does anyone know?. Would seriously like to know what I'm on the hook for.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,786 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 29 May at 2:36PM

    Exactly what situation are you in?

    Did you leave Tomato before they went bust, or were you still a customer and were transferred to BG under the SoLR arrangements?

    Apologies if you've answered this question before, there's a lot of thread here!

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Bobohead
    Bobohead Posts: 23 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I was with them when they went bust

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,086 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    6 weeks. Is the industry limit

    But given they were bust. It would be down to administrators, who this may not apply too. Who may never get to the bottom of the billing or like other co's that folded, get passed to debt chasers who turn up years later.

    So hope you have photo evidence of your readings.

    Life in the slow lane
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 18,866 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    6 weeks. Is the industry limit

    But given they were bust. It would be down to administrators, who this may not apply too. Who may never get to the bottom of the billing or like other co's that folded, get passed to debt chasers who turn up years later.

    Once it is in the hands of the administrators, they have up to six years (if they want to enforce through the courts). I suspect the six week time limit is also suspended for the SoLR Co. as data could be in a right mess and they are at the mercy of the administrators to supply the information in a timely manor.

    Six+ years on, I still haven't had a correct final bill from EDF after Toto The Clowns went bust, nor do I expect one.

    Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
    Erik Aronesty, 2014

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Bobohead
    Bobohead Posts: 23 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    So basically we are just in limbo then. Did you get an incorrect bill from EDF? I have the usage data from my watts from Nov1-9. I have a meter reading of Nov 10 but not the 1st. The meter readings on my watts were rarely correct, sometimes less than the one before!!!and weren't correct on an early Nov reading.

  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 18,866 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    The sticking point with Toto the Clowns was gas billing. They insisted on using imperial units when it was a smart meter (so metric by default). On top of that, they used some really screwy math to convert to kWh…
    EDF used the same units, still as imperial, and failed to acknowledge the issue. Looking back at my records, I don't appear to have any response to complaints beyond automated replies. Looking back at the bills, the meter readings don't even correspond to actual - It was a new smart meter, and the previous bill had an opening reading of just 70 (but again, they were applying imperial conversions) on 8th Aug 2019.

    TotoClowns.jpg

    As this is a gas meter, it isn't really relevant to Tomato as they were an electricity only supplier. But it does show how incompetent a supplier can be with regards data.

    Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
    Erik Aronesty, 2014

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.