The Las Vegas Thread and MSE guide

Options

Comments

• Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I preferred Lance Burton over Copperfield, Burton was more Vegassy (!!) and I found his show much better than Copperfields.

Stew
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    May
    ok, so what are the odds of me getting away with booking something that wasn't intended for me? :

https://reservations.mgmmirage.com/bookingengine.aspx?pid=mbh&host=promo&code=PGUEST&kbid=755041&sub=en

:D
  • yorkie69
    Options
    hi to all .

being reading this thread for some time and have finally taken the plunge as it is both my and mrs 40th this year. booked with united in october -- out via LA and onto vegas , internal flight Vegas to San Francisco and a few days there and then back from SFO to london. all in 382.30 each for all flights. think this is a great price so this is booked.
    Advise wanted please on when to think about booking hotels -- planning four nights Vegas (monday to thursday) and then hiring car and spending weekend around grand canyon , probably in Williams , before returning to Vegas for four more nights midweek so we can try a different hotel. thinking about maybe one hotel strip and one downtown -- is this a good idea?
    Also i have a uk driving licience but only the old style paper one -- will i have any problems with this?
    thanks in advance and would appreciate any other tips on planning our trip.
  • davidmcg2u
    Options
    Hi folks,

It's now 11 weeks until we go and the hotel deals seem to be coming thick & fast - especially from the Harrahs group.

Anyway, we had booked the Paris for our weeks stay for a total of $610 on the friends & family rate back in October.

The offer has been extended & the prices for Caesars Forum Tower Deluxe Room are really good too along with great rates for Flamingo GO Luxury with Strip View rooms (on employee discount for everyone rate) although this deal expires at midnight tonight.

I'm in 2 minds, change my Paris booking to 4 nights then 3 at Caesars or 4 nights at Flamingo then 3 nights at Caesars.

All opinions as ever welcome.

Cheers folks
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    April
    yorkie69 wrote: »
    hi to all .

being reading this thread for some time and have finally taken the plunge as it is both my and mrs 40th this year. booked with united in october -- out via LA and onto vegas , internal flight Vegas to San Francisco and a few days there and then back from SFO to london. all in 382.30 each for all flights. think this is a great price so this is booked.
    Advise wanted please on when to think about booking hotels -- planning four nights Vegas (monday to thursday) and then hiring car and spending weekend around grand canyon , probably in Williams , before returning to Vegas for four more nights midweek so we can try a different hotel. thinking about maybe one hotel strip and one downtown -- is this a good idea?
    Also i have a uk driving licience but only the old style paper one -- will i have any problems with this?
    thanks in advance and would appreciate any other tips on planning our trip.
    sounds like you got a good price on your flight

as for your stay , Downtown is a aquirred taste IMO. personally i like downtown but many don't .

better idea might be a central strip property followed by a south strip property or maybe something at lake mead ect.

as for when to book , book something soon that you can cancel that is reasonably priced as a fall back , then keep a weekly check on the fatwallet thread on offers from now till 12 weeks out , when i advise 5 mins a day for daily check till week before you leave .

ok, so what are the odds of me getting away with booking something that wasn't intended for me? :

call them up to book if they let you , i would say your good to go.
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    April
    davidmcg2u wrote: »
    Hi folks,

It's now 11 weeks until we go and the hotel deals seem to be coming thick & fast - especially from the Harrahs group.

Anyway, we had booked the Paris for our weeks stay for a total of $610 on the friends & family rate back in October.

The offer has been extended & the prices for Caesars Forum Tower Deluxe Room are really good too along with great rates for Flamingo GO Luxury with Strip View rooms (on employee discount for everyone rate) although this deal expires at midnight tonight.

I'm in 2 minds, change my Paris booking to 4 nights then 3 at Caesars or 4 nights at Flamingo then 3 nights at Caesars.

All opinions as ever welcome.

Cheers folks

i would say Paris and Caesars are your best combination . having not stayed at either Paris or Flamingo i cannot comment on quality of rooms but i would put money on paris being the better rooms.

and hey you can see one from the other so not far too go, but that does of course mean you not changing much either.

if you end up staying at either Caesars or Paris for your entire stay , i doubt you will be dissapointed.
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
  • bargaindoctor
    Options
    Hey, thanks very much for that info esp to Trets77 and Ferf1223. I may just forfeit my Stratosphere room, unless someone else wants to take it.. got it for $40 for 2 nights on 6th and 7th but I suspect the guy I bought it from could just refund it, no? He booked it through hotelclub, I believe.

I'm now picking between Bellagio, Luxor and Caesars. How would you guys rate it, based on these prices:

Bellagio $129 x 2 for standard, or $159 x 2 for partial lakeview
    Caesars for $75 x 2 for standard, $135 for palace tower deluxe
    Luxor Pyramid for $55 + $99, or Tower for $75 + 119.

Would love any thoughts on this, and also whether anyone on hotelclub can confirm whether these vouchers can be cancelled? In fact, it says that he's not even supposed to charge me for it, so surely he's breaking some terms with hotelclub and should really refund me the $? Only booked this yesterday...
  • Entertainer
    Options
    Hey, thanks very much for that info esp to Trets77 and Ferf1223. I may just forfeit my Stratosphere room, unless someone else wants to take it.. got it for $40 for 2 nights on 6th and 7th but I suspect the guy I bought it from could just refund it, no? He booked it through hotelclub, I believe.

I'm now picking between Bellagio, Luxor and Caesars. How would you guys rate it, based on these prices:

Bellagio $129 x 2 for standard, or $159 x 2 for partial lakeview
    Caesars for $75 x 2 for standard, $135 for palace tower deluxe
    Luxor Pyramid for $55 + $99, or Tower for $75 + 119.

Would love any thoughts on this, and also whether anyone on hotelclub can confirm whether these vouchers can be cancelled? In fact, it says that he's not even supposed to charge me for it, so surely he's breaking some terms with hotelclub and should really refund me the $? Only booked this yesterday...

Bellagio is better than Caesars which is much better than the Luxor. At those rates between Caesars and Luxor it's no contest. Also Luxor is South end of the Strip.
    I've stayed at Paris and it is nice, 4* and all that.
  • bargaindoctor
    Options
    thanks entertainer. is the palace tower deluxe for $135 at caesars comparable with bellagio's $129 standard? but tbh maybe the standard caesar will do. do they have jacuzzis and a good view? :)
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nvh

We stayed at the MGM and the Strat earlier a few weeks ago. (1st time to vegas)

The MGM is great, couldnt fault it aside from the evening buffet that was cold so dont bbther with that but otherwise literally faultless.

Strat was a lot better than we thought it would be for the money.Yes locations not amazing cos theres a lot of empty lots around there but theres Duece stops around so you can zip up and down the strip and on to downtown.

The only downer from the strat is a bit "cheaper" in that the dining options are a bit "lower" ( as opposed to the fancy resturaunts in the MGM) theres a cafe style resturaunt among others ( Luckys- OK- and cheap) but the shopping looks a bit dog eared. There is however an Ihop next door if you cant face another breakfast buffet. We were very pleasantly surprised at the strat from what we read on here we really did expecxt it to be a dump, but was basically like a travellodge in the sky- no issues really.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills