The Las Vegas Thread and MSE guide

Options

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    March
    Quick question about Vegas (and the US I guess), can you get cheap PAYG sim cards easily like you can in the UK

Try searching the thread for 'sim' as there's been a lot of discussion about it...from memory, most agree it's better to buy one in the UK before you go...we didn't even bother and just bought a calling card at a 7-11 (convenience store/petrol station) that gave loads of minutes for $5 or $10 (NOT the ones they sell in hotel vending machines - they're a rip off)...even with the charge from the hotel for calling an 800 number ($1.25 for the first 25 or 30 minutes at Bally's at least) it worked out the easiest and pretty cheap option we thought.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    They are across the street from each other - you can get from one to the other without even going out on the street as there's a pedestrian bridge between them. :)

I seriously think that if you do not have a lakeview room Bellagio may be disappointing as their rooms aren't that spectactular on their own (nicer than many places, yes, but for the money I do think Caesars is the better option unless you have a lakeview room).

Totally agree.
    Make sure you try a $20 in your passport if you have a classic room booked, and ask for an
    augustus tower room nicely
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May
    When you go to the airport, when do you ask about upgrades?

Is it at the desk for checkin? Or do you go straight to the customer service desk for your airline?

We tried on our honeymoon last year with Continental, and asked at first class checkin, the woman just said, if you paid over £1000 for your ticket EACH then she could do seomthing, if not, no chance, and also she only had one free seat anyway avalable for upgrade!

LOL!

Tell us what airline you are going with, someone might have experience of them, each have their own ways.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • funkyfin2000
    Options
    May
    BMI, but its a code share with united i believe.
  • bargaindoctor
    Options
    I'm going to go with Caesars at $75 a night. Will save the $100 extra on Bellagio for meals and fund towards something to do while we're there :)

I'm def going to try the $20 tip. Looking at fatwallet the success rate is actually at 88% which is pretty awesome. Do you do $20 one off (we're only there for 2 nights), or $20 / night? Are there certain people at the desks to watch for? Do they ever keep it and not upgrade? LOL.

I'm pretty shameless so have no problems with it, just want to know the best way to do this. Do you just ask right out 'Could you please see if it's possible to upgrade us to an Augustus room' or more along the lines of 'Are any Augustus rooms available?'

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I'm going to go with Caesars at $75 a night. Will save the $100 extra on Bellagio for meals and fund towards something to do while we're there :)

I'm def going to try the $20 tip. Looking at fatwallet the success rate is actually at 88% which is pretty awesome. Do you do $20 one off (we're only there for 2 nights), or $20 / night? Are there certain people at the desks to watch for? Do they ever keep it and not upgrade? LOL.

I'm pretty shameless so have no problems with it, just want to know the best way to do this. Do you just ask right out 'Could you please see if it's possible to upgrade us to an Augustus room' or more along the lines of 'Are any Augustus rooms available?'

http://www.frontdesktip.com/

I always ask if there any complimentary upgrades and then say what I would like, ie high floor, strip view, specific room type etc. I keep the $20 in view and that would be for both nights.

I wouldnt ask as per your quote in bold as there is no mention of COMP so they may say yes and then charge you rack rate.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    May
    Planet Hollywood from $49 until 1 March, booked by 10 January.

https://roomres.planethollywoodresort.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?PROCFUN+RN+RESNET+R15+FUNCPARMS+UP(A2560):;SPCD8;?

Clicking on the link doesn't seem to be working as it's missing the last 2 characters. If you click on the link and add ;? to the end of the url in your browser it should work.

The offer code is SPCD8
  • bargaindoctor
    Options
    Thanks Photome. Great tip. I've been reading fatwallet and the frontdesk threads so super helpful.

Looks like the comp thing at both Bellagio and Caesars is over 80%, so I'm still undecided... but would go wehever the $20 tip works better! (seems like Caesars to me)

Luci - planet hollywood deal looks like it's asking for password?
  • bargaindoctor
    Options
    Travelzoo has some deals for Jan. Lance Burton from $56.50 ($10 off), Criss Angel from $59 (40% off), Cirque Du Soleil 'Love' for $90, Grand Canyon Helicopter ride for $180 (25% off), Blue Man Group for $50.
    http://shows.travelzoo.com/las-vegas-shows/

We're there just for 2 days (Jan 6+7) - which of these would you suggest? I personally do like Criss Angel on TV, but wonder if the show is worth it. The better seats seem to work out around $100. The helicopter thing is also tempting but might not be best weather to do this, surely? :)
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    April
    photome wrote: »
    http://www.frontdesktip.com/

I always ask if there any complimentary upgrades and then say what I would like, ie high floor, strip view, specific room type etc. I keep the $20 in view and that would be for both nights.

I wouldnt ask as per your quote in bold as there is no mention of COMP so they may say yes and then charge you rack rate.

i have the $20 ready for when they ask for my credit card and ID and then politely say "i also have my upgrade voucher" ;););) . always gets a smile , and has always worked. :D:D:D
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport