We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Garden wall idea.

Options
YoungBlueEyes
YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,117 Forumite
First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
Looking for advice/criticism of our garden wall plan. I’m not imaginative or artistic (and himself just agrees with everything) so all input welcomed. 

It’s the middle section of our garden. Patio nearest the house, then the undecided bit, with the grass and flowers etc furthest away. The grass etc is a little lower than the patio. 

Based on these pics of things I like - 

…a builder has drawn up a plan - 

I’d be interested to hear others’ suggestions, or if anyone’s had anything similar done. 

Thanks very much. 
In 1811, nearly a quarter of all the women in Britain were named Mary.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Will the steps be fancy paving or just slabs as now?, just curious and, at my age and mobility thinking of being slippy

I'd go for the flat topped wall, thinking of wall topper troughs or somewhere to place your G & T etc
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • YoungBlueEyes
    edited 1 May at 5:07PM
    Options
    Nah the slabs are just temp steps while we get the wall done. They were originally the tiny patio bit up close to the house. 

The steps in the second to last pic would be good but that’s not gonna happen. 

I agree flat topped wall, with luck I can get some flowers tumbling out of it. 

One change I’ve thought of - I think I’d rather have the side walls coming down in a slope rather than stepped to match the steps. 
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    It looks good to me - my only question (which you might have already asked) would be if he could use reclaimed bricks or if the bricks come in more than one colour (sometimes they do blue and red) so you could have a bit of variation without having to wait for years for them to weather. 

I agree with Farway that flat topped is more practical (for sitting on/putting things on). Not entirely sure how high the wall will be from the garden side (I can't gauge the drop) but I wanted to leave this here as another possible layout?  

I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    edited 1 May at 6:12PM
    Options
    Himself is getting reclaimed bricks (there’s roadworks galore here, they’ve knocked down buildings and torn up trees + hedgerows to make room) so it’ll be pretty bricks not engineered red things. 

I like your idea, a holey wall would be a lot easier to plant stuff in  :)

Just to add, this isn’t happening right now for there’s birds nesting in the hawthorn (?) so we’ve a few weeks yet to change and adapt the plan. 

Edit - the drop is a couple of feet ish. 
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    I'm with a partially holey wall, but only some holes, spread randomly. We shouldn't forget the function of the wall is soil retention, so it needs to be strong enough. The holes will make sure it drains adequately too, besides being planting pockets.
    Do I recognise Gertrude Jekyll's touch at Hestercombe House in the pic above the plan? You ain't half posh, Ma'am! :D
    The two most important days of your life are: the day you were born, and the day you find out why.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 1 May at 8:28PM
    Options
    Just from a visual point of view your eye is stopped first at the May tree? At the end of the patio and you need something half the height in the left corner. 
     It will draw the eye quietly down and give depth.

The left corner by the patio shrub rose, hydrangea type things to halt the eye but not stop it.
    Bird table in the middle of it so you can see them with stepping stones through to refresh it.

The compost bins something attractive. I have a house shape for a little garden. Imagination here.

A low wall or small hedge at end of patio to stop people falling off.

Steps I'd keep half width of the stone you have.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I like the right hand side design better, the steps are nicer like that. Personally, I'm a gabion wall enthusiast even if I haven't got any, OH hates them. plenty of scope with them to plant in them..
    But you do what you like, if you want a free brick wall, then Cinderella, you shall have one [ I'm never going to knock free with my roof tiles :) ]
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The wall in pics of the ones you like - isn't the middle one the same as the builder drew?
    I like that best. 
    It reminds me of the walls the Romans built in Pompeii - and its classy, like the designers of the Edwardian era

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Yep it's the same 2p, that's what gave me the inspiration and started this whole thing off :) The wall will be slightly higher than the wood that's there. Not sure where I'll put the bird table... something nearer the middle of the grass will hopefully mean the squirrels can't launch themselves onto it from the fence! 

Soil retention isn't an issue Dusty, it'll be backed up to the drop of the patio and up to the fence on either side. Leaving a wee bit of room for maintainence. Or possibly not backed up tight to the patio, poss a foot's gap fill with stones/gravel for air and drainage round the existing wood. With toadflax or campanula or similar tumbling out of it.

The right hand design is nicer imo too taff, and himself agrees. 

The hawthorn (?) tree is due a severe haircut, it's too big now in general, and the builder will need more room to work in. I'm mindful of birds/flowers/berries but the timing for it and the builder might not match. It is what it is. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback