Hating the look of the Nationwide Banking app

Options

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Exodi said:
    People complaining about change and water is wet.

I don't mind the Nationwide app. As someone quite involved in Graphic Design, I had been cringing at the old-fashioned design Nationwide had been sporting for way too long.

On my phone, Nationwide displays ~3 product account on the home page, which I think isn't too bad - I expect some overpaid UX developer has found this to be suitable for the majority of customers.

Let's not forget people lost their minds over the refresh of the MSE forum and the same for the refresh before that one - I can't say I remember a single thing about the old one I wish back. or the one before that.

It always happens (unfortunately). People foaming at the mouth over this on X/Twitter will move on to complain about something else in a week  the next hour or two.
    The company logos in transactions list seems to have gone.
    They still display for me? and for me 
    Some added comments.
    With all the problems you can potentially have I just can not get worked up about a banking app.
    I am much more concerned about how much money I have in the account !
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's a shame people when terms like "foaming at the mouth" "get worked up"  when not agreeing with someone's viewpoint
    Both sides can use it, "foaming at the mouth" "get worked up" can be used both for someone defending it, and also criticising it.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    edited 13 March at 2:45PM
    Options
    Just switch bank if you don't like it, Nationwide have by far the worst app around and seem to have little interest in anything other than visual tweaks.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,767 Forumite
    Options
    Exodi said:
    People complaining about change and water is wet.

I don't mind the Nationwide app. As someone quite involved in Graphic Design, I had been cringing at the old-fashioned design Nationwide had been sporting for way too long.
    I work in marketing, brand, UI and UX as well and I agree that visually it was dated, but it also worked well (most of the time), this design looks slightly more modern, but also had reduced the practical use of the app, although the functionality itself is still there. 
    Exodi said:
    On my phone, Nationwide displays ~3 product account on the home page, which I think isn't too bad - I expect some overpaid UX developer has found this to be suitable for the majority of customers.
    I get two full ones a bit of a third, I have a large phone, it appears a poor use of real estate. 
    Exodi said:
    Let's not forget people lost their minds over the refresh of the MSE forum - I can't say I remember a single thing about the old one I wish back.
    Quite a lot did, I was one who complained, almost all of those complaints were taken on board. They broke the quoting system entirely to start with, then they changed it to one that was clumsy and almost unworkable, before changing it to the one we currently have, which solved the issues with that. They also had very low contrast between the various visual elements of that, but following feedback they adjusted the contrast and colours of certain elements to fix that as well. There are still a few issues, lots of dead space, the hover over menus get in the way sometimes, but they fixed most of the genuine gripes with the new version of the forum over a period of weeks. 
    Exodi said:
    It always happens (unfortunately). People foaming at the mouth over this on X/Twitter will move on to complain about something else in a week or two.
    I think that is just X/Twitter in general, if someone worded the initial post correctly they could probably get them riled up over water being wet. 
    Exodi said:
    They still display for me?
    I used to get them for most transactions, going back to the start of the year the only two that show a logo are Google Play and National Lottery (yes, I know, not MSE and it is an idiot tax), the rest just show a single letter in a box. 
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March at 3:31PM
    Options
    It's a shame people when terms like "foaming at the mouth" "get worked up"  when not agreeing with someone's viewpoint
    Both sides can use it, "foaming at the mouth" "get worked up" can be used both for someone defending it, and also criticising it.
    Sorry, I give pretty short thrift to complainers, but then I am coloured by bias.

As someone that works in a senior position with a company, I am fatigued from the constant and inevitable kickback from any suggestion or implementation of change. Happens every single time. I know, as does any company responsible for changing things (like branding), that there is always criticism of change, even for objective improvements, simply because people do not like things they are not used to or familiar with.

To complete the circle of life, it is inevitable that in a decade or so Nationwide will update the branding on their app once more, and in a twist of irony, people will be rushing to defend the current design and condemning the new.

As I said, when this forum itself went through a rebrand recently, there was a thread with over 1000 comments on it before it was closed (and Albermarles points out this was the same story as the one before):

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6459216/welcome-to-the-new-forum-look-give-us-your-feedback/p1

You may remember, being the very first poster in the thread to let them know that you don't like it.
    Know what you don't
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,577 Forumite
    Options
    Quite a lot did, I was one who complained, almost all of those complaints were taken on board. They broke the quoting system entirely to start with, then they changed it to one that was clumsy and almost unworkable, before changing it to the one we currently have, which solved the issues with that. They also had very low contrast between the various visual elements of that, but following feedback they adjusted the contrast and colours of certain elements to fix that as well. There are still a few issues, lots of dead space, the hover over menus get in the way sometimes, but they fixed most of the genuine gripes with the new version of the forum over a period of weeks. 

There was a fix for that where you could disable them, so just hovering over them does not do anything.

Hide the Forum Menu — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March at 3:44PM
    Options
    Exodi said:
    Let's not forget people lost their minds over the refresh of the MSE forum - I can't say I remember a single thing about the old one I wish back.
    I think that's a tad generous. A significant amount of the complaints were about the appearance and I can't say I saw any noticeable aesthetic changes after launch. Technical issues yes, I remember the quoting system being a bit wonky but outside of this you had pages of pages of 'I don't like the look of it/I prefer the old one' which they (rightfully) ignored - I posted the thread in my post above, you can see yourself.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with everything else you said.
    Exodi said:
    They still display for me?
    I used to get them for most transactions, going back to the start of the year the only two that show a logo are Google Play and National Lottery (yes, I know, not MSE and it is an idiot tax), the rest just show a single letter in a box. 
    I'm certainly no purist myself, we all waste money on something.

Only thing I would mention though regarding the logos displaying in transaction view is that there seems to be a notable delay loading some of them (just now I've witnessed logos loading 10 seconds upon being prompted) which is odd because you'd expect that the negligible file size of a small logo would be downloaded in fractions of a second.
    Know what you don't
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Exodi said:
    You may remember, being the very first poster in the thread to let them know that you don't like it.
    And I still don't like the native setup of the forum, far too much wasted space.
    But I've turned this

into this

So the "complainers" shared tips of how to get the forum to look to more how they wanted it and as Matt pointed out staff made improvements which doubtfully wouldn't have happened if everyone had kept schtum.  

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rob5342 said:
    Just switch bank if you don't like it, Nationwide have by far the worst app around and seem to have little interest in anything other than visual tweaks.
    Just switch bank?, I'm with most as it is and really not worth me doing so over an app 🤣
  • Lonelygambler
    Lonelygambler Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it looks and runs a lot faster on my iPhone. 

Shame I don't much money in my accounts.  :D
    Gambling Addict - Acting now before it's too late. Gambling losses well over 25k. 

Current Situation:
    Unsecured Personal Debt - May 2024
    Natwest CC 0% - £3000 - £1629
    MBMA CC 0% £4500 - £4150
    Tesco Loan - £10,400 - £9970

Debt cleared off since starting on here: £2151

Money saved by not gambling £3000

13 Weeks Gamble Free! 

Aim to be debt free by 2026... 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories