PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Reading as a cheap hobby

Options

Comments

• bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loving this thread and some great recommendations.
    With regard to crime fiction my husband and I read a new author for us and both loved the storylines of his 3 books - Neil Lancaster. His first book was Dead Man’s Grave.  Set in Scotland and really gripping, Was one of very few books I haven’t been able to put down over the years.

I read on my Kobo as like getting books out of library and handy in case I can’t sleep, whereas my husband prefers to read proper books. 

Money SPENDING Expert

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry, by “Kindles” I meant “Kindle books”.

- Pip (apologies for being unclear)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 April at 9:56PM
    Options

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/25/the-experts-librarians-on-20-easy-enjoyable-ways-to-read-more-brilliant-books

Thank you for the recommendations ! 

Husband brought home a pile of paperbacks for me, all the Game of Thrones books, from his boss. Wasn't that nice of him ? Tomorrow I am working on the website, but while husband is out and about on Saturday I can get stuck in ! 

• PipneyJane
    Options

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/25/the-experts-librarians-on-20-easy-enjoyable-ways-to-read-more-brilliant-books

Thank you for the recommendations ! 

Husband brought home a pile of paperbacks for me, all the Game of Thrones books, from his boss. Wasn't that nice of him ? Tomorrow I am working on the website, but while husband is out and about on Saturday I can get stuck in ! 

Excellent link @MrsStepford.  I will be trying some of their tips.

If you are into Golden Age Detective Fiction, the British Library have a subscription service.  For a fee of £9.99, every month they send you a new novel, recently republished by them.  They are also doing a “Tales of the Weird” subscription.  Details of both are here.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• MrsStepford
    Options
    I haven't tried Golden Age Detective Fiction, unless you include Agatha Christie ? I found an Agatha from Fontana, with a fantastic illustration on the cover and started collecting them. I read a few of them but gave up. They made me feel thick, because I couldn't guess whodunnit !

I will certainly have a look at the British Library website @PipneyJane I found a talk there in May (also online) with Michel Roux and his daughter Emily, also a chef.

Am expecting a brand new book tomorrow, which was published on Thursday, called Le Sud. Cuisines of Provence and the Côte d'Azur, basically. Today I received Mediterranean Cookbook  by Arabella Boxer. No photos, other than the front cover.

• PipneyJane
    edited 27 April at 8:35AM
    Options
    The “Golden Age” of detective fiction refers to any British crime novel that was published during the interwar years so, yes, Agatha Christie is included @MrsStepford, ditto Dorothy L Sayers, Margery Allingham, Ngaio Marsh and Josephine Tey.  

I first heard the phrase while listening to the She Done It podcast.

- Pip

ETA:  one of the reasons the interwar years were a golden age for novels is because it was the era of the commuter.  For the first time, regular people moved en-mass to the suburbs and commuted to their workplaces.  Cheaply printed novels were sold for pennies at the railway stations.

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found How to Kill Your Family at the free library box near me yesterday.

In brief: How to Kill Your Family; Guarded by Dragons; Dancing With the Octopus – reviews | Books | The Guardian

• Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I read that whilst on holiday with my family!!! 

Have finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - might have to write a trigger warning inside before donating to DSis or the CS! Now reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (Girl on a Train). Good so far!
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • MrsStepford
    edited 27 April at 4:39PM
    Options
    #OxfamReadingChallenge Get 10% off books on Oxfam online when signed up

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/reading-challenge

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Coxy11 said:
    I read that whilst on holiday with my family!!! 

Have finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - might have to write a trigger warning inside before donating to DSis or the CS! Now reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (Girl on a Train). Good so far!
    We must have similar taste in  books. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback