PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Reading as a cheap hobby

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Library book haul today.

• London_1
    London_1 Posts: 1,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Library book haul today.

'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' is brilliant, I have that book on my bookshelf, also Tuesday with Morrie that I bought in America Let us know what you think of it
    Just got the follow up book 'The Next Person You Meet in Heaven' from the library and its my next book by my bedside to read once I have finished the book i'm on at the moment. Hope you enjoy them all

JackieO xx 
  • kiss_me_now9
    kiss_me_now9 Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've started reading John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath (we didn't do any Steinbeck at school but I did manage to 'read' Romeo and Juliet and Jane Eyre four and two times each respectively across my teenage school career) and wow - I am only about 40 pages in but I am blown away. His prose is just beautiful and whilst there's a lot of words I don't quite understand (I've just about figured out that when they say 'cat' they meant a certain brand of tractor, I had to google it though as I thought it was just a generic word for tractor). It is a joy to read. 
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• kiss_me_now9
    kiss_me_now9 Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've started reading John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath (we didn't do any Steinbeck at school but I did manage to 'read' Romeo and Juliet and Jane Eyre four and two times each respectively across my teenage school career) and wow - I am only about 40 pages in but I am blown away. His prose is just beautiful and whilst there's a lot of words I don't quite understand (I've just about figured out that when they say 'cat' they meant a certain brand of tractor, I had to google it though as I thought it was just a generic word for tractor). It is a joy to read. 
    Thats exactly why I have things like To Kill A Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, Hounds Of The Baskervilles etc on my reading list as its things I never read in school but feel like they are talked about a lot. 

I also have issues with a book Im reading at the minute - its not a period read or anything similar but there are some words I dont understand - so I have a notepad on my little reading table now and when I dont know a word I wrote it down to look up afterwards! So its giving me a new word to learn and use as well as a good book to read!

I think there's a lot to be said for the classics, they're classics for a reason. But I consistently put them aside for whatever social media tells me I'm meant to be reading! 
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    Options
    I read To Kill a Mockingbird as a teenager and have the sequel on my to read list should i see it in a charity shop. On a similar vein is John Grisham's A Time to Kill but I wouldn't call either 'light holiday reading' 

If you enjoy Grapes of Wrath i can recommend Of Mice and Men which is a novella rather than a chunky book and read at school Cannery Row 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,386 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 April at 4:24PM
    Options
    Think I eventually made it through all of Steinbeck's books but To Kill a Mockingbird is a top pick.  I'm quite sure that it's because of that that I started saying "hey" instead of "hi".  To the point where even in emails to work colleagues I'll start it "Hey Bob" or whatever.

edit - I know that Steinbeck didn't write TKAM.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brambling said:
    I read To Kill a Mockingbird as a teenager and have the sequel on my to read list should i see it in a charity shop. 
    The sequel is definitely a must.  Not because it’s good, because it isn’t, but for further (and surprising) insight into Atticus Finch.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Options
    I had to read To Kill a Mockingbird at secondary school for GCSE and remember it well. I feel like I must have read Go Set a Watchman when it came out, but I can't remember it at all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback