PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Reading as a cheap hobby

Options

Comments

• florianatwobob
    florianatwobob Posts: 894 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @Brambling  I didn’t read The Clouds or the Lysistrata but had to read The Frogs by Aristophanes. The dawn quote has embedded itself partly because, on first reading, it’s a lovely description of sunrise and then I think every chapter started the same way! 

✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅(DSis🏅)
    👗Fashion on the Ration coupons = 50/66 (5 coupons, 5 pairs of socks| 6 coupons, dungarees | 5 coupons, blouse)

✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
    👗Fashion on the Ration 2023

✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️   ⭐️
    👗Fashion on the Ration 2022

✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅
    👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Loving this thread.
    I am trying to read more this year and have set myself a challenge - its actually a reading bingo that a dear friend of mine who has sadly passed away made and I am reusing. It has 16 categories and I wonder if some people could offer suggestions for some that I dont have ideas for yet please 

Im open to reading all sorts of books - expanding knowledge etc and not wanting to get stuck in one genre.
    The categories are as followed. 

1. Book by an author Ive never read
    2. A book from my wishlist 
    3. A Book I have seen reviewed
    4. A book picked by a child - Cinderella must die - chosen by my daughter
    5. A book with a cowboy
    6. A Book from school I never read - how to kill a mockingbird
    7. A Series of books
    8. Re-read a favorite - the hobbit or the color purple
    9. A biography of someone I don't like - 'Spare' perhaps? or Britneys? 
    10. A non fiction book
    11. A Book I have won
    12. A book with over 500+ pages
    13. A Book given to me - CURRENTLY READING 
    14. A Book set by the coast
    15. A book that became a movie
    16. A book outside my comfort zone - maybe a horror or paranormal of some sort?
    As you can see I have quite a few to fill in! 
    I am currently reading Dont Want To Miss A Thing by Jill Mansell which my MIL gave me for Christmas and I have been using StoryGraph App to put some books into my reading list that I would like to read and before christmas read 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop that I really enjoyed too. 
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For a book with a cowboy what about The Horse Whisper?

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,575 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you read any Vita Sackville West?  If no then I recommend All Passion Spent.  Or it almost qualifies as a 15 having been made into a TV show a number of years back starring the marvellous Wendy Hiller (she also was the aged princess in Murder on the Orient Express which of course would be another 15)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 April at 4:03PM
    Options
    @sammy_kaye18 for number 14, how about Have His Carcase by Dorothy L Sayers?  That’s set on the coast.  It’s also a murder mystery so might also qualify for a book from a genre outside your comfort zone.  (Not certain what you do/don’t like reading.).

If you allow television series into number 15, then it’d tick that box too, having been serialised in the 1980’s.

-  Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 4 spent.

4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    @PipneyJane @Brie @Brambling

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will add them to my StoryApp and have a look at them to tick some of the boxes. 

Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,575 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    @sammy_kaye18 for number 14, how about Have His Carcase by Dorothy L Sayers?  That’s set on the coast.  It’s also a murder mystery so might also qualify for a book from a genre outside your comfort zone.  (Not certain what you do/don’t like reading.).

If you allow television series into number 15, then it’d tick that box too, having been serialised in the 1980’s.

-  Pip
    Can you read Have His Carcase without reading Strong Poison first?  Makes the Wimsey/Vane relationship make a bit more sense.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    @sammy_kaye18, Elly Griffiths series of Ruth Galloway books is great and will also cover books set on the coast: The Salt Path by Raynor Winn is also coastal and non fiction (and brilliant!). Any of the Strike books by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling are well over 500 pages but don't feel like it and for an author you've never read before I would recommend Claire North, particularly The Sudden Appearance of Hope. Do you have a good library near you?
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    Another Good series are the Hawthorne books, starting with The Sentence is Death, by Anthony Horowitz.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport