PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Reading as a cheap hobby

Options
Reading needn't cost anything if you live within walking distance of a library or get a free bus pass. Libraries often put on free activities for children, too. If you're lucky, your local library will be warm and have some cosy armchairs. Some libraries will allow laptops so that students can work on projects and homework. Those who work from home can have a change of 'scenery' at a library and some libraries have cafés. If you take a notebook or a Kindle or phone with a good camera, keen cooks can copy down recipes or take photos. If you have arthritic fingers or don't possess a phone or tablet, most libraries will do cheap photocopies for you.

If you prefer to own books rather than borrow them from a library, there are several options:

* Charity shops
* Boot fairs
* eBay
* Book fairs
*Amazon and Amazon Marketplace
* Project Gutenberg www.gutenberg.org

These cover a variety of price points, from free (Project Gutenberg) to potentially expensive (book fairs).

A 2009 study from the University of Sussex showed that reading for as little as six minutes reduced stress by up to 68% and a study from the University of Liverpool found that reading for 30 minutes per week reduced depression by 21%.

Reading can be free or cheap, it can raise money for charities, it slows the heart rate, reduces stress and depression and buying secondhand books is a great form of recycling. 

As I couldn't find a thread exclusively about reading, I thought that I would start one so that we bookworms could discuss why we read, our favourite genres and books and our latest finds.

For example, when I was a child I didn't go anywhere without a book. On car journeys, I would read rather than look at the scenery, if there was any. I would take one holdall or suitcase on holiday and another holdall for books. Whenever I went to stay with my grandmother, she would hand over a carrier bag filled with secondhand books.

My grandmother bought me a copy of the Kama Sutra from a jumble sale when I was about ten, because she thought it was a book about yoga 😂 I was almost halfway through it before my mother found out and confiscated it.

I have Kindle Unlimited and read every day, mostly police procedural and magazines. 

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell, had me in tears aged nine and I loved the pony books by the Pullein-Thompson sisters. I collect 1970s Fontana paperback books by Agatha Christie as they have beautiful front cover illustrations. My favourite book is Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice. Another book which made me cry, was Borrowed Time by Paul Monette. Creepiest book that I have read is Christine by Stephen King. I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books ! The Sheik by E M Hull (1919) a pig farmer's wife, is quite violent and disturbing in places IMO. Georgette Heyer Recency romances are pure mush but just the thing for a winter afternoon in front of a log fire 🔥 I own hundreds of cook books. I worked in two famous London bookshops, Foyles and Hatchards for a total of six years.

Latest books bought: The Hairy Bikers Mediterranean Adventure for my husband, Mary Berry Makes It Easy for my cousin in Vancouver and several cookbooks for ne from eBay all under £3 with free postage.

Eagerly awaiting all your book related posts ! 😁

Comments

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Libraries have free ebooks, emagazines and audio books too - I think it varies by area, but with mine you can sign up totally online and get reading for free right away.

The last book I read was a one man play - Lorenzo by Ben Target. I often find it difficult to read for long periods and struggle to keep a story in my head, so I tend to prefer short stories or books I can consume in a single hour-ish session. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,046 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh - if you want a book to make you cry and cheer.  Vita Sackville West's All Passion Spent.  
    Best kids book - The Incredible Journey.

I've bought both of those so many times and given them away to friends hoping to get them back but not complaining when I don't.  Don't mind if they've read them and kept them or read them and passed them on.  

Cookbook I need to buy at some point...Food that really Schmecks.  But it would probably not be good for my cholesterol.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't think I've read any Farley Mowat, boys adventure books were the Hardy Boys.  Money wasn't plentyful growing up so any books we owned were treasured and reread 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @MrsStepford wash your mouth out with soap! Georgette Heyer romances are not mush.  And unlike most romantic novelists she didn’t simply rework the same plot over and over again. Also she gets the historical background pretty well right most of the time.

The rant over, I go nowhere without a book or my kindle, though sadly the battery on my kindle is starting to show its age and I’m not sure it is possible to replace it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback