PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Reading as a cheap hobby

Options

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I worked with a girl we were both about 21/22 and she announced she had never read a book since she left school at 16, when she did read it was a magazine I was horrified, but then again I had to explain banking cash points and cheque books to her as she believed she could only put money in her own bank branch and it would be her money (the same notes) they gave back to her when she drew it out.  We were paid in cash so she would have to go back to her own town to bank it! 

Heaven as a lowly paid hotel worker was the 4 storey second hand book shop in the nearest town which would give you back half the price of a book if you returned it in good condition of the price of the next book. 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Another who has always loved reading.  I think it started with Milly Molly Mandy.  The library was my second home and I particularly remember one school holiday where I borrowed and read every James Bond book.   I will read anything except horror (too scary).  I usually have more than one book on the go because I listen to audiobooks at bedtime.  If I am really into a book I have to finish it in one sitting 😀 and then I’m disappointed that it’s ended. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,223 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Another great discount programme I took advantage of decades back was with the Ontario lottery (apply named "Wintario") where for every non winning ticket (sold at $1 each) you could get 50c off a long list of books by Canadian writers.  Given the number of people who weren't readers there were always a glut of nonwinning tickets available that one might pick up to help buy some books.   A great use of lottery money in my opinion.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • annieb64
    annieb64 Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If anyone watched "The Marlow Murder Club" last week - the book is avaliable on todays Kindle deal for 99p.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback