PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Reading as a cheap hobby

Options

Comments

• kiss_me_now9
    kiss_me_now9 Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April at 11:34AM
    Options
    TKAM was one of my first favourite books, very fond memories of that one. The phrase 'licked from the start' always seem to stick in my head :) If we're talking classics, I absolutely loved Catcher in the Rye when I read it as a very sad teenager though suspect I might not have the same feelings for it now!

I will definitely keep an eye out for OMAM and Cannery Row but I'm meant to be on a no buy year for books - I've only bought two so far (Cloud Atlas, which I've been looking for for ages, and a German translation of The House at the Mosque, both of which were from a NT charity shop). 
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 April at 11:44AM
    Options
    Thanks @Quasar 😀 Do you know a book called The Silver Spoon by Phaidon ? An Italian recommended it to me and husband just bought it for me. 

@-taff I found La Cucina on Amazon but I think that will have to be a birthday treat. Luckily, it's in 9 days 😉 I can report that I found the Pellegrino Artusi book as a Kindle edition for 99p ! It's in Italian though. I took Italian as an elective for a term or two in uni, but I think if I look up all the cooking verbs, I should be able to manage. It will be fun trying, anyway ! I have watched some of the Pasta Grannies videos on YouTube. Brilliant concept, to ensure that the traditional recipes aren't lost. I have also watched some  videos of Stanley Tucci cooking. He has his own (expensive) cookware range out. I need Taste, I think that should be in my To Buy List. 

We are getting rid of a lot of current cookbooks hopefully, via We Buy Books and Ziffit. 
    Sorry for the delay in replying MrsStepford. Been busy with my 96 year old mum. No I do not know that book. I have not read any Italian cuisine books when I was in the Uk, and now that I am in Italy, I just go along with friends, recipes. I'm not a great cook anyway as I don't have the patience. I did watch a program years ago when still in London, by Jamie Oliver travelling in Italy. I couldn't stop laughing when he was trying to teach some Sicilian chefs how to cook, lol (if I remember correctly).
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 April at 5:34PM
    Options
    It was a set book at school and we had to sit through the old movie of same name. I think Gregory Peck starred ? 

Husband has run off with the Keith Floyd, Rick Stein and Jamie Oliver cookbooks so no idea what he will do for Sunday lunch.
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie, her book Look Back With Love is very good 
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    Options
    It's husband's birthday today. He got a proper Microplaner, box of Italian gluten free stuff (pasta, polenta, sweets, chocolates), three cans of cassoulet, an online cookery course...and some books:

The Hairy Bikers Mediterranean Adventure
    My Italian Family Cookbook Lawrence Dallaglio
    Latest two Jack Reacher paperbacks from Lee Child
  • London_1
    London_1 Posts: 1,609 Forumite
    Options
    Just read The Neighbours by Fiona Cummins ,great book with lots of twists and turns makes it hard to guess who the killer is as all the neighbours have secrets.Third of her books I've read and everyone is great

JackieO xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure