PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Reading as a cheap hobby

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I went to drop off that Michelle Obama autobiography at the free book box and I found a Lisa Jewell book - None of This is True. I had that on my library list to reserve for me so that was very good timing. :) I will return both books to the free library box when I finish them.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    In case anyone hasn't seen yhis as a source of cheap Kindle books:
    https://www.bookbub.com/

You get a weekly email with a selection based on your preferences.

2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I mentioned at my Knit'n'Natter group that I was going to Barcelona this autumn, and someone recommended Carlos Ruiz Zafón to me. We meet in the library, so I was immediately able to grab The Labyrinth of the Spirits from the shelf and book it out. It's rather larger than I generally read these days, but I Am Gripped. It's book four of a series but says you can read them in any order, I do hope that's true because I shall be back ... 

My friend said that they spent time looking out for places mentioned in the book: whether I shall remember many of them is open to question, but the book itself is just mind-blowing. 

History. Intrigue. Spies. Romance. Politics. Place. Fantasy. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just finished Death Rocks by L J  Ross and am reading The Wild Thyme Murders by Judi Daykin.  I too keep one or two Kindles stashed in the bed @bamboo_socks

Just bought Mediterranean Cookery by Arabella Boxer, for 2.47 with free postage, on eBay.

For my birthday, my cousin in Canada gifted me a beautiful cookbook of fancy food from local chefs, which cost $80 CDN.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I have come on here to fess up…have just bought 5 books in a CS for £1 each ooops. The first 3 have been on my wishlist the past two years so I feel kind of okay with it (and its payday):

·         Where the Crawdads Sing – Delia Owens

·         The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt

·         The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessey – Rachel Joyce

·         The Housemaid’s Secret – Freida MacFadden

·         The Midnight Library – Matt Haig

I’ve just finished Dead Ground by MW Craven which I realised was the 4th in the Washington Poe series. Could have done with reading the first 3 beforehand. First one, The Puppet Show, has been on my wishlist for a while. The writing is good, but sometimes a bit pedantic with explanations.

I’m currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (author of Gone Girl) It’s good but may be triggering for some.

Have realised I enjoy books where the protagonist is flawed in some way. Not sure what that says about me!?

Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert 14/24
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Options
    Coxy11 said:

·         The Housemaid’s Secret – Freida MacFadden

·      

I’m currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (author of Gone Girl) It’s good but may be triggering for some.

I read The Housemaid books recently and really enjoyed them.

Sharp Objects was made into a miniseries starring Amy Adams and I really thought that was good. I haven't read the book.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Floss said:
    In case anyone hasn't seen this as a source of cheap Kindle books:
    https://www.bookbub.com/

You get a weekly email with a selection based on your preferences.

I love Bookbub, but it is responsible for me owning more Kindles than I can (probably) read in a lifetime.  I get the daily email, which usually includes some free books.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    Options
    I also coness to buying five or six hardback cookery books from the upcycle place for seven pounds. Most of them appear to be american publications, Williams Sonoma being prominent, and the design of the pages looks like nothing I've seen in British cookery books. Lots to read this week. [I also bought a pasta machine that makes ravioli, so I expect that to be on the menu next week :)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    edited 24 April at 8:01PM
    Options
    I have nine Kindles, Pip, but had twelve at one point. I love them but the battery life isn't the greatest. Some of them are over ten years old. I will have to check out Bookbub, thanks. 

I have some cookware from Williams Sonoma, Taff, bought when I lived in Canada. It has a very good rep so the cookbooks should be reliable. My mother bought us a pasta machine but we never used it as husband can't eat gluten. They look fun though ! 

My new website went live yesterday. I've been luxuriating in the calm instead of slaving over a hot laptop. One of them fried itself yesterday with overwork. I am looking forward to doing a lot more reading now that the website is live. 

Recommendations for crime fiction for Kindle would be great ! 
  • annieb64
    annieb64 Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    Have you read any of Dana Stabenow's books , Mrs Stepford? They are set in Alaska and are avaliable on Kindle.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback