"Complete savings"...scam??

Options
I recently went online to book some airport parking. Somehow, during the process I managed to "sign up" to Completesavings??? 
Not sure how this happened, as at no time was I advised of an ongoing monthly fee. Luckily I got a message from my bank telling me I had signed up for this. I managed to log in to my "account" and get is cancelled before any monthly fee was taken. 
Normally if you sign up for something you get a confirmation e-mail confirming this, but I received nothing.
I did a "google" and found some stories of people that had also, (unknown to them), "signed up" for this and had only found out when they checked their bank statements, so people had  been signed up for years and never knew!!
So just a warning to anybody esle. I think this is really sharp practice on their part, as at no time was it evident that I had signed up for any "monthly payments".... 

.."It's everybody's fault but mine...."

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A useless warning unless you tell us who you booked it with.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 February at 4:34PM
    Options
    I've seen these things that appear post checkout on some sites, where they say "claim your free £x cashback here", and clicking that takes you through to another site. If you follow the link and accept things, you're then signing up for something - the charge will have been detailed in the T&Cs, but always not very obvious. Its likely your payment details were passed from the airport parking site.

I think I saw this last time I booked parking at an Airport, but I knew not to click through to it.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just ring them up on the free phone number & they will refund you.

Known people get refunds of several years. Ever known a "Scam" company do that?

Email will in many cases go into Spam or junk folder. So always get into the habit of checking these on a regular basis.

Somehow sign up is a simple click on get a refund on a next purchase (even has the T/C) on this link.
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think they are a scam but clearly people who have a tendency not to read things or maybe are in a rush etc are more likely to subscribe without realising it. There are a few sites that I've been on that after you complete your purchase with them there is a thank you page and a notice about being a valued customer etc they'd like to invite you to sign up with their partner, but only if you want some free cash back. 

If you do click and read everything it's fairly clear and probably fully legal. Personally I find the company advertising it at the end of their sales process as much to blame for the clickbait worded advert. 
  • Largs
    Largs Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    No, it's not a scam.  Ive been in it for years and saved a fortune.  To join, you enter your name, address and email and card number and it is very clear what you are doing.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 23 February at 11:04AM
    Options
    I wish this  website would strip words like 'scam' out of all thread titles. It demeans those that really are scams. Maybe if the MSE Team decide that it is a genuine scam then they can add it into the title. Too much 'crying wolf'.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Options
    These days, "i've been scammed" often seems to be a synonym for "i've made a mistake"
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Olinda99 said:
    These days, "i've been scammed" often seems to be a synonym for "i've made a mistake"
    The parking board loves the word scam.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,185 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes on the savings board posters say they have been scammed by some very well known bank.
    Usually when the details come out they are usually just getting impatient due to some admin delay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback