Money Moral Dilemma: Should I accept an expensive present from my boyfriend who owes me money?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My boyfriend, who has been trying to sort himself out financially, got me a beautiful bike that cost £1,500 for my birthday. He says it's a larger-than-normal gift to say thank you for finding us our flat and helping him sort his life out. Yet he owes me a month's rent and half of the deposit on the flat we recently moved into, and has been stressed about finding money to buy things his daughters want. Do I accept the bike to avoid hurting his feelings, or decline to continue helping him with his finances?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Can the bike be returned?
    If not, you either have the option of keeping it or selling it on.
    Is it the bike of your dreams? I'm aware that bikes can be very personal and I'm not sure I'd like anyone buying me such a personal - and expensive - item without discussing it with me.
    What does your boyfriend say about spending so much money when he owes you money?
    You have spoken to him about this...?
    I'm aware that none of these questions will be answered.
    Personally, I'd be pretty hacked off if I was you.
    And I wouldn't need to ask random strangers on t'interweb what they thought.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback