Missy’s full time working mum juggling act MF adventure

Options
missymoo81
missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 4 February at 12:44AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi!

I’ve been reading lots of inspiring threads and I’m finally in a position where I feel ready to jump over here from DFW threads. I’m now finally in a stable job with a regular income so I can hopefully start paying off the mortgage. 

A little about me, I’m a full time working mum of a 10 and 12 year old, myself and OH have been together for 6 years and bought our house 2.5 years ago. Now we have a massive mortgage as we’re both in our 40s and didn’t have the world’s biggest deposit. We have another 20 years left on the mortgage and pay £1250 a month. So have about £247k left and 2.5 years left on our current rate. 

I would love to try and pay £500 off a month on top, whilst still living a decent life. I’ve had to scrimp and save for so long whilst we ran our business, I want to make sure we can do nice family things too now like our first family holiday abroad together etc.

We are selling the business in a couple of months and I will get £37k out of it which I will pay off the mortgage, some this year some next as I don’t want to overpay more then 10% and get charged. In an ideal
world I would like to have less than £165k when we go to remortgage in 2.5 years but that’s v wishful thinking. I will do some sums later though

I would love it if you could join me in my journey, I love to chat on here and find it really keeps me motivated. I’m going to work hard on setting budgets for things and getting shopping and fuel bills down etc. 

I’ll do some sums and talk more about my budgets, is it sad I’m a little bit excited?! 

Speak soon

Missy

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No it isn't 'sad' at all, and I will be following your journey as always.
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Following your journey and hoping that you are enjoying your new job
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • auntiemicmic
    auntiemicmic Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello! It's not sad, it makes me happy and excited too :smiley: I shall be reading along. Good luck!!
    MFW 2024 #36 - Overpayments Jan £370

Mortgage 28/01/24 £168563.60

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,312 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Good to see you back, good luck 🍀
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Ah hey everyone thanks so much for popping in. I need to look and see if I can find the last mortgage statement, I haven’t looked very hard to be fair and I think it is in 1 of 2 places so will have a look tomorrow.

i have set up Monzo pots to separate my money and keep my every day money in my main other account. I have pots for things like clothes, birthdays, holidays etc. and have set amounts I put In each month. Some budgets are smaller than they should be, like fuel and food but it’s the first month of doing it so we’ll see what happens. 

I’ve done a sainsburys order for tomorrow and I managed to get it down to £50, and I’ve put £70 of fuel in the car so we’ll see how long they lasts. I would like the mortgage OP pot to be at £750 by the end of the month. And it should work but it depends how much everything else comes out at.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy new diary Missy!  Hope the new job is going well.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely to see you back on here and with a shiny new diary 😁. 
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • missymoo81
    edited 4 February at 11:10AM
    Options
    Hey thank you, my job is great I love it, but I am so busy with it and it’s super stressful sometimes and I have to be away a few days a month which is difficult with the children. 

So I’ve looked for my paperwork for the mortgage and I can’t seem to find it. But I’ll ask OH when he gets up. 

I need to be careful that I set realistic goals for how much I can pay off, as opposed to pie in the sky ones. As I would also like to get the house sorted and the garden so that will cost a little too but it’s mostly painting and tiling. And we have the paint. We do need new flooring which we won’t be able to do ourselves. 

So first things first. I managed to get the shopping to £50 this week, I did a click and collect which I’ll pick up later and actually looked in the freezer. And we went out last night but OH paid. We did manage to book a holiday last night exactly to budget in April. And that’s full board with a car etc and I’d already saved the money.  Yes I could pay that off the mortgage instead but this is what I meant by living too.

I had a word with myself earlier in the week and sent back a load of gym clothes I didn’t need and shouldn’t have ordered. I don’t need any clothes for summer either. Other things I need to get a hold of are spending at the vending machine and canteen at work we have food at home! I just need to make sure I eat it. But I also need to make sure I take care of myself. I’m not eating well and need to make sure I eat fruit and veg every day! I always make sure the children get lots but I forget about me!
  • missymoo81
    Options
    I just wanted to say Thanks so much for following me over @redofromstart @Elisheba @DancingInTheRain @beanielou @slm6002 @jwil and it’s  really nice to meet you @auntiemicmic.

so today is going to be spent doing washing and shopping and tidying and getting ready for the week. Also putting together the flat pack furniture to make the children’s play room look better, still haven’t found places for the Christmas Toys yet. And I absolutely need to get rid of the charity stuff that is residing in the bath…. And has been since September….. we won’t talk about that. The main bathroom is a room we need to sort so we’ve been using the en-suite. 

So I’m going to try £500 to pay off the mortgage this month but anything over that I will decide what to do with, whether it will go on house stuff or mortgage.

I think me and OH need to sit down and chat and come up with a plan for our future as we haven’t really done that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback