Apply for State Pension and query about mixed age couple

Options

Comments

• Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Based on the information you've posted in this thread, I would definitely advise swapping the ESA(ir) claim to yourself prior to your partner turning pension age.
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Spicedpumpkin Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yamor said:
    Based on the information you've posted in this thread, I would definitely advise swapping the ESA(ir) claim to yourself prior to your partner turning pension age.
    Many thanks

I remember you commenting on another thread about my situation, thanks

I'm not saying you would know but do you know if the HB that is in my partners name at present and then I went on the IR ESA they would accept that as a passport to HB even though its in his name ? But we are a couple

We are planning to cancel the CA  at least a  month plus before pension age so we can larger transactional payment if we have to transfer to UC

I know you are advising to transfer over to IR ESA before his pension age, can you tell me the good points of this would be at all ? 

I appreciate any input as its driving me mad at the moment.....I was really hoping Age Uk could guide me

• Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 January at 8:46PM
    Options
    Yes it is very frustrating for everyone.
    The MAC rules have to be the most confusing I have seen in 'standard'/'everyday' benefits.
    I have to say that you have had a good try and people have tried to help, work things out.
    But we are all up against incomprehensible rules and so at the moment it's a case of seeming like potluck when to claim UC to give the best result.
    When you consider it every couple will probably at sometime become a MAC. So the rules about just what happens then need to be simplified from the mess that they are currently.
    "May you live in interesting times" just about sums things up.
    Sorry, but I'm at a loss for any advice to give that might help you decide what to do for the best
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Options
    Newcad said:
    Yes it is very frustrating for everyone.
    The MAC rules have to be the most confusing I have seen in 'standard'/'everyday' benefits.
    I have to say that you have had a good try and people have tried to help, work things out.
    But we are all up against incomprehensible rules and so at the moment it's a case of seeming like potluck when to claim UC to give the best result.
    When you consider it every couple will probably at sometime become a MAC. So the rules about just what happens then need to be simplified from the mess that they are currently.
    "May you live in interesting times" just about sums things up.
    Sorry, but I'm at a loss for any advice to give that might help you decide what to do for the best
    Its been driving me mad, I've done nearly a whole days reading loads yesterday......before that getting more info from various sources over the weeks and compiling it. 

Then the phone call with Age UK didn't go as well as I had hoped. All day today trying to find more info out. I think its one of those things I want someone to say do it this way. (obviously everyone has different figures to input in general) ...but it needs to be the best financially.

Its been said since last year to me... that you are worse off as a mixed couple on UC and possibly do it another way.....do not apply for UC yet until you have proper advice etc...BUT the problem is accessing the proper information/advice.

I will try phoning CAB possibly and anyone else I can think of see if they can shed some light on anything, Especially since the HB is in my older partners name.

I agree everyone will probably have to go through the MAC unless they have the same birthday ! LOL

I appreciate all comments and any information given. It has not gone unnoticed.

Thanks 

• 8dayweek
    8dayweek Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    This is the best I can find to support the end IS / add ESA(IR) scenario. 

[Sorry I can’t link, new account - but look on Rightsnet at a discussion started on 17/08/2023 called “HB transition for MAC”. 

As I understand it, as long as the benefit “passporting” the HB is in place pre-State Pension age then the “working age” HB continues. 

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 January at 11:07PM
    Options
    8dayweek said:

[Sorry I can’t link, new account - but look on Rightsnet at a discussion started on 17/08/2023 called “HB transition for MAC”. 

As I understand it, as long as the benefit “passporting” the HB is in place pre-State Pension age then the “working age” HB continues. 

Thread here https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/19533/#92110 Agree with your understanding and HB can continue. 

You need to do a calculation to see which benefit would pay more, ESA or UC. If you go the ESA route I also believe  your partner can also have an underlying entitlement to Carers allowance and be entitled to carers premium in your ESA, without it affecting the SDP. 

Eat to add.. you must ask ESA to assess you for the Income Related top up for your housing benefit to continue, which is mentioned in the thread linked above. 
  • poppy12345
    edited 31 January at 11:29PM
    Options
    The following is my calculation on what your ESA is likely to be when your partner claims their SP.

ESA couples rate £133.30
    Support Group component £44.70
    Enhanced disability premium couples £27.90
    SDP couples £152.80
    Carers Premium £42.75
    Pensioner Premium £128.85

Total weekly ESA amount £530.30 His weekly state pension will need to be deducted from this as I do not know the amount he will receive. 

I will also add a reminder that for your HB to continue your ESA must be Income Related, otherwise it will end. 

I am of course happy for anyone to go ahead and work out the calculation if possible. 

This is the UC calculation I did in a previous comment..
    Couples £578.82
    LCWRA element £390.06
    housing element (£241.64/week)  1,047.10/month
    SDP TP if LCWRA element is included £132.12 (single person SDP)
     Carers element £185.86
     £2,333.86/month

Deductions 
     CB ESA £561.16
     State pension £883.35 
     Total amount deductions £1,444.51 - £2,333.86 = £889.35/month UC payable. 

Edit to add the figures are current ones, which will of course increase from April this year, along with the State pension increase. 
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Options
    8dayweek said:

Many thanks for the info

I shall have a good read tomorrow, my brain is fried today

Much appreciate your input and help
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Options
    8dayweek said:

Thread here https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/19533/#92110 Agree with your understanding and HB can continue. 

You need to do a calculation to see which benefit would pay more, ESA or UC. If you go the ESA route I also believe  your partner can also have an underlying entitlement to Carers allowance and be entitled to carers premium in your ESA, without it affecting the SDP. 

Eat to add.. you must ask ESA to assess you for the Income Related top up for your housing benefit to continue, which is mentioned in the thread linked above. 
    Thanks for the link from the thread

Will have a read tomorrow, all tired out

At least I have the UC rate now thanks to your help ...so that is a start

I think the only thing I am also concerned about is the HB is in my older partners name and me living at the address as a couple.....and am not sure if they would accept the IR ESA as it is NOT in my name

I can not imagine phoning HB dept itself and actually asking that question as I doubt they would know. 

I could TRY writing to them and see if they replied with a copy of the proper information from the section on the government housing law etc

I will try and have a go at the figures myself and see if anyone can run their eye over them

Many thanks again

• poppy12345
    Options
    8dayweek said:

I think the only thing I am also concerned about is the HB is in my older partners name and me living at the address as a couple.....and am not sure if they would accept the IR ESA as it is NOT in my name

The link to that thread covers your question regarding this. Your HB would continue but you must be claiming IR ESA, otherwise it will end. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback