We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Indoor Vegetable Gardening - MERGED

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant, ta for that. Tomatoes I have ready to go, but herbs I still need to buy. :)
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    mushrooms?
  • mardatha
    Options
    I need to look into mushrooms, dont know anything about that but its food so is worth a try yes !
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    I always thought mushrooms grew in dark conditions. Seem to remember seeing them forsale in big sacks of compost. The mushrooms start to grow after you add something - water probably . I think the spores are in the compost - not absolutely sure about this though.
  • moneysavingmonkey85
    Options
    Hi everyone

I spend quite a lot of time on DFW board, but first time i've been over here.
    I have recently moved into a new flat, :beer: which is lovely but has no outside space.:mad: So with just a few windowsills (not outside boxes) is there anything edible that I can grow?

They are quite sunny, and I'm always around to look after anything I grow, I just don't know where to start - is there anything that doesnt get too big/need planting out?

Sorry if this is a silly or repeated question!
    Thanks all :T
    :money:
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • carole.uk
    carole.uk Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    Options
    Hi and welcome i am no expert but have grown herbs, tomatoes, lettuce and onions inside good luck with everything :)
    IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!!!:j:money:
  • betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    could you maybe put some brackets on the wall just outside your window for some hanging baskets, you could grow some tumbling tomatoes in them. windowsill you could grow cut and come again salad leaves, herbs like basil, chives, mint etc ,rocket, chilli`s, sping onions, small round carrots, i wonder if you could grow the miniture cabbage and cauli`s as there yummy but really expensive in the supermarkets, what about some pea`s or mangetout, my pea`s are a small variety only growing 45cm tall but give a very big crop of 8cm pea pods in 2mths. good luck.
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • mardatha
    Options
    I planted tomatoes, cress, rocket, and midget gem lettuce a week ago. They are all through apart from the lettuce. I tried siberian kale a few weeks ago and one spindly weak plant came through, so I shoved some more seeds in beside it yesterday. Also I ordered some herbs on ebay.
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a thread similar to this already, I'll add your query to it so all the replies are together. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure