We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Indoor Vegetable Gardening - MERGED

Options

Comments

• ladybirdintheuk
    Options
    I second (third? fourth?) the suggestion of growing peppers - they've always grown well for me on the windowsill. You can freeze them to last you over the winter (and save a few seeds before you freeze them so you can plant again next year!)
    :heart:Isabella Molly born 14th January 2009:heart:
    New challenge for 2011 - saving up vouchers to pay for Chistmas!
    Amazon £48.61 Luncheon Vouchers £24
  • Lentilsforteaagain
    Options
    Fresh herbs and salad veg are great for windowsills too!
    Learning how to save money with 5 little ones ... help!! :p
  • tenuissent
    Options
    How big are your windowsills? I have lengths of cheap guttering cut into shorter lengths, ends blocked up with duct tape, filled with compost, and planted with salads and herbs etc. Only small things (rocket, lettuces, radishes, various Chinese leaves), not tomatoes. I have a large seed tray that they fit into so that no soil or water escapes. The point is that you can get more little plants into a length of guttering than into lots of little pots, and they are less fiddly to deal with and easier to water. I also grow seedlings (peas, beans, broccoli etc etc) in them for planting out in my allotments; obviously this is not useful information for you, but it might be for someone else who has not come across gutter growing. If you are careful, they slide out into your prepared ground (remove one end of the duct tape, naturally.......) and grow on, undisturbed.
  • tenuissent
    Options
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Go_Green_Upside_Down_Hanging_Planters/ I haven't tried this, but it looks interesting for growing tomatoes indoors with a drip tray underneath.....
  • 1ubthrifty
    Options
    Crumbs! How clever you all are, I can't wait to get planting!!!
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    We have a thread similar to this already, I'll add your query to it so all the replies are together. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up :)

MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
  • genlistlass
    Options
    Have you thought about hydroponics?

Gen in Northumberland
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I have a decent sized garden and will plant out veg later on this year- but for a lot of reasons I want to grow as much as poss in my big spare room. It faces south & has a big window, I wanted to treat it like a conservatory..:D
    My 1st question is can I do fruit indoors at all ? If so, then what?
    No. 2 is which herbs dont burn easy from a lot of direct sun?
    Why does this feel like Radio 4 gardeners Question Time ?:D:D
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well... tomatoes are technically a fruit and you can grow those inside... according to a book I have by Joy Spoczynska, you can grow melons indoors - she specifically states choosing a dwarf variety as these would be more suitable for the space you have.

Herbs - the same author suggests bay, dill, garlic, marjoram and sage specifically for your sunniest windowsill...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure