What can I do about Currys mis-selling broadband to elderly vulnerable people??

Comments

• Pollycat said:

I don't understand this comment, are those who are subject to possibly not being able to make informed judgement and decisions on the spot when accosted at a general shop for something completely unrelated to their intended purchase required to be chaperoned everywhere?

Should I be taking my dad to Tesco all the time in case some young whippersnapper at the mobile counter tries to sell him a phone contract whilst he's browsing the newspapers? 

I think it's probably a generic comment about posters who - when their relatives are ripped-off/scammed/conned - describe them as "elderly and vulnerable" as if that is an excuse for the poor decisions they have made.

Being elderly does not mean you are also vulnerable.
    People can be vulnerable at any age.

Like the OP's Mum, I am also in my 70s.

I am neither elderly (in my eyes) nor am I vulnerable.
    I'm quite able to deflect any would-be salesperson from selling me something that I know I don't want.

I do agree, I don't see much difference with my dad now in his late 70's than when in his late 50's, that young whippersnapper wouldn't earn a commission out of him. 

In comparison we've known a couple for around a decade who are now in their 80's and you can kind of see time taking it's toll. 

With this instance, I find it hard to believe there are broadband deals that are that good to justify breaking an existing contract and paying an exit fee which does raise a question of how the sale was carried out but as I say OP needs a full account to determine whether there is a possibility of a breach of the legislation. 
  • timjim
    timjim Posts: 84 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    OP surely if you stopped the transfer to "Currys" then the old broadband contract would continue and there would be no early termination charge or lack of broadband over Christmas and New Year 
  • Wow thanks for the replies!

More so to the helpful ones than the more... obtuse ones...

By way of further information, and addressing some recurring themes:

1. "She's not 'elderly' or 'vulnerable'!" - Ok, ok - whatever. She's a kind, nice lady who HATES conflict, so is a prime victim for pushy sales people. I don't care about that, because if she was 26 I'd still be trying to actually help the situation, because it should never happen. And that's ignoring every statistic showing older people ARE more vulnerable and less tech savvy...

2. "Why weren't you with her?" - like, really??? I need to accompany her everywhere 24/7? For the record, I sort out all recurring purchases for her to get her cashback and the best deal, and advise on large purchases. Remember she went into that shop to buy A DASHCAM. Nothing else. Even if it was a laptop I'd be !!!!!! off at the extra pushy sale, but broadband isn't even relevant to a camera. (extra note: Dashcam was a present for someone, although I have set one up in her own car for her)

3. "But we don't know if the salesman did ask her!" - Let me put something else to you. I can 100% guarantee that my Mum has no idea what speed her current broadband is, let alone what she needs or why she needs certain things with it. Given that absolute fact, how were Currys able to establish they could get her a 'better deal' on broadband? Also, telling her she can end her current contract isn't technically untrue, but it's blatantly deceptive that it won't incur any early termination fees. Now, if she was only accepting their promise of 'cheaper broadband', how does a massive early exit fee factor into that??

4. "Tell her not to engage with these people" - Have done, several times. She's learning, but lying salesmen are still better than her.

5. "Currys don't sell broadband!" - yes, they do, or this post wouldn't exist, would it?!? I have the name of the salesman (i.e. the Currys employee), and took her back to the store yesterday where it was all confirmed. It isn't 'Currys Broadband' - I'm just not naming the new provider, as they haven't really done anything wrong apart from accepting a dodgy referral, and, well, a non-working service.

6. "Just carry on with your old provider" - contract was terminated around a week ago, engineer for new service attended and 'set up' stuff which has not worked since the switch date. Old contract is gone and update made to FTTP with phone line terminated. I will chase up the lack of service with the broadband provider to get compensation for that. So my options were to stay with the miss-sold broadband that doesn't even work, or cancel it within the 14 days of activation which luckily still applies. New service can only be set up in 10 working days, which leaves no broadband or landline all over Christmas. The Grandkids WILL be happy...

7. "FTTP doesn't mean cheaper deals are gone" - having switched mine to FTTP a few years ago, I now only see options for full fibre packages, and the lower priced ones are not available with the suppliers I've looked at. I'm actually switching mine currently, and am seeing the same for hers and mine - so I can only say what I'm seeing. That said, I'm also aware that everything will go FTTP eventually, so while not the end of the world, my Mum was happy as she was, for now.

I did take her back to the store yesterday to see if they could undo the skulduggery if we were there in person to speak to a human face to face - of course they couldn't. The manager called the provider but was told to just get us to call direct to cancel, as luckily it's still within the 14 day cancellation of the switch date.

"We don't know anything about broadband" the manager told us, to which I replied "Why are you selling it, then?". I've worked customer services myself, so know how it is for them, and all was calm and reasonable, but seemed like the after sale had been made and they were done and dusted (and had their commission, no doubt).

Incidentally, my Mum was given no paperwork at all, and just had a few emails about the switch, so had no time to properly review the 'deal' etc. I was only made aware when asked to sort out the new service which wasn't working.

I've posted on Currys Twitter to see if that gets any help, but nothing yet.

Massive thanks to those who have helped - it is appreciated, and hopefully it'll help towards putting this right for my Mum and for any others. I also note Currys have previously been in trouble for similar sales tactics for add-ons...
  • Hello OP

If you Google CEO email and search that website for Currys there is an email contact there, they do reply but might take a while, especially at this time of year. 

As the other posters question, you'd need to establish if the salesperson was working for Currys, although if they was actually in the store and had an agreement with Currys to be there that might give you avenue to complain via Currys.

These situations are difficult, you are looking at the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations and seeking to establish whether there was a misleading action or omission or an aggressive practice. 

If it were established there was you have the right to unwind the contract, which you appear to have done any way, you also have the right to seek damages.

Damages fall under two categories, standard monetary loss or damages for suffering alarm, distress or physical inconvenience or discomfort, the latter is likely to be limited to around £1000 at the higher end sliding downwards depending upon the severity of the suffering. 

You need a full and accurate account of the situation in order to be able to establish whether a breach of the regulations occurred.  

It's a broad piece of legislation, reading the below link is probably your best bet at a crash course.

[link] 

Perfect! Just looking at the index list it's clearly ticking several boxes, so I can tailor my complaint to that.

Currys advised I have to make a complaint by telephone or by mail (?!?), which I am not happy about, either. I can get the key facts down much better in writing, and it's all there to be used as evidence if needed, so I'm trying to get an email address to communicate this way.

My Mum does wear hearing aids, so I think this is a fair reasonable adjustment to make. (obviously she's not 'elderly' or 'vulnerable' though as several people here have defensively established without knowing her)
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello OP

If you Google CEO email and search that website for Currys there is an email contact there, they do reply but might take a while, especially at this time of year. 

As the other posters question, you'd need to establish if the salesperson was working for Currys, although if they was actually in the store and had an agreement with Currys to be there that might give you avenue to complain via Currys.

These situations are difficult, you are looking at the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations and seeking to establish whether there was a misleading action or omission or an aggressive practice. 

If it were established there was you have the right to unwind the contract, which you appear to have done any way, you also have the right to seek damages.

Damages fall under two categories, standard monetary loss or damages for suffering alarm, distress or physical inconvenience or discomfort, the latter is likely to be limited to around £1000 at the higher end sliding downwards depending upon the severity of the suffering. 

You need a full and accurate account of the situation in order to be able to establish whether a breach of the regulations occurred.  

It's a broad piece of legislation, reading the below link is probably your best bet at a crash course.

[link] 

Perfect! Just looking at the index list it's clearly ticking several boxes, so I can tailor my complaint to that.

Currys advised I have to make a complaint by telephone or by mail (?!?), which I am not happy about, either. I can get the key facts down much better in writing, and it's all there to be used as evidence if needed, so I'm trying to get an email address to communicate this way.

My Mum does wear hearing aids, so I think this is a fair reasonable adjustment to make. (obviously she's not 'elderly' or 'vulnerable' though as several people here have defensively established without knowing her)

Odd, as sending via mail, requires your to write it down.🤷‍♀️

As to losing telephone wire to house. That is something that has been rolled out for a while & all will at some point be switched over.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network#
    Life in the slow lane
  • Odd, as sending via mail, requires your to write it down.🤷‍♀️

As to losing telephone wire to house. That is something that has been rolled out for a while & all will at some point be switched over.

Well yes, but nobody has communicated by post in the last 20 years, it requires a payment from me and I don't even know how to get a stamp, these days, and don't care to find out. It's clearly an archaic form of communication that is unsuitable for the modern world (think of the trees/climate change etc!), and is far more difficult to track and verify who said what and when. And it's slowwwwwww.

As for being rolled over - I have already addressed this, and service was fine before and she was happy to be switched over on her own time and not forced by some pushy salesman.

I mean, come on - why do so many on here nit-pick so much?

Well yes, but nobody has communicated by post in the last 20 years, it requires a payment from me and I don't even know how to get a stamp, these days, and don't care to find out. It's clearly an archaic form of communication that is unsuitable for the modern world (think of the trees/climate change etc!), and is far more difficult to track and verify who said what and when. And it's slowwwwwww.

As for being rolled over - I have already addressed this, and service was fine before and she was happy to be switched over on her own time and not forced by some pushy salesman.

What are you on about? There’s still some official things that communicate primarily through post, and plenty that supplement other forms of communication via post.

People nit pick here because the details are important. And when someone posts a comment of ‘no one uses post any more’ it undercuts the rest of the story. 

What are you on about? There’s still some official things that communicate primarily through post, and plenty that supplement other forms of communication via post.

People nit pick here because the details are important. And when someone posts a comment of ‘no one uses post any more’ it undercuts the rest of the story. 
    It's called hyperbole. Stop being a pedant.

Clearly postal mail is NOT the best or most efficient form of communication and 99.9% of the rest of the world can do it by email.

A major retail company not having an email address in 2023 is terrible customer service, and if you can't see this... well... good luck with that. Either way it's irrelevant to the rest of this post so I'm not getting into some petty argument about it.

It's called hyperbole. Stop being a pedant.

Clearly postal mail is NOT the best or most efficient form of communication and 99.9% of the rest of the world can do it by email.

A major retail company not having an email address in 2023 is terrible customer service, and if you can't see this... well... good luck with that. Either way it's irrelevant to the rest of this post so I'm not getting into some petty argument about it.
    I understand what you’re saying but where s
    all details matters, being hyperbolic can be the difference between the company acting improper, the company acting illegally, and customers not reading the literature correctly. 

In any case, I assume if your mother was unhappy with this contract she could’ve cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period, which is there to protect consumers, right? 
  • Hi,
    your mum must have her wits about her if she has own car and still able to drive, so why agree to the deal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure