What can I do about Currys mis-selling broadband to elderly vulnerable people??

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Tell your mum, not to engage with these people. Just she did to you when you were a vulnerable child.  Far easier when old as they can play deaf...
    Simple keep walking. Smile nicely & say NO.

Do you even know it was a currys employee? Could be a 3rd party in there selling BB.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Tell your mum, not to engage with these people. Just she did to you when you were a vulnerable child.  Far easier when old as they can play deaf...

Do you even know it was a currys employee? Could be a 3rd party in there selling BB.
    Yeah this is what I was thinking - seems strange to me that Currys would be selling broadband ‘at the till’ so to speak. More likely to be a third party in the entrance/exit. 
  • boobyd
    boobyd Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tell your mum, not to engage with these people. Just she did to you when you were a vulnerable child.  Far easier when old as they can play deaf...

Yeah this is what I was thinking - seems strange to me that Currys would be selling broadband ‘at the till’ so to speak. More likely to be a third party in the entrance/exit. 
    ^ ,This,I can find no mention of Currys broadband,there are some links about Shell energy but nothing about Currys do broadband.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 December 2023 at 10:07AM
    Hello OP

If you Google CEO email and search that website for Currys there is an email contact there, they do reply but might take a while, especially at this time of year. 

As the other posters question, you'd need to establish if the salesperson was working for Currys, although if they was actually in the store and had an agreement with Currys to be there that might give you avenue to complain via Currys.

These situations are difficult, you are looking at the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations and seeking to establish whether there was a misleading action or omission or an aggressive practice. 

If it were established there was you have the right to unwind the contract, which you appear to have done any way, you also have the right to seek damages.

Damages fall under two categories, standard monetary loss or damages for suffering alarm, distress or physical inconvenience or discomfort, the latter is likely to be limited to around £1000 at the higher end sliding downwards depending upon the severity of the suffering. 

You need a full and accurate account of the situation in order to be able to establish whether a breach of the regulations occurred.  

It's a broad piece of legislation, reading the below link is probably your best bet at a crash course.

https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/good-practice/consumer-protection-from-unfair-trading 

unforeseen said:
    If she is elderly and vulnerable then why didn't you or another responsible adult go with her? 

I don't understand this comment, are those who are subject to possibly not being able to make informed judgement and decisions on the spot when accosted at a general shop for something completely unrelated to their intended purchase required to be chaperoned everywhere?

Should I be taking my dad to Tesco all the time in case some young whippersnapper at the mobile counter tries to sell him a phone contract whilst he's browsing the newspapers? 

la531983 said:
    And nor are sales staff on minimum wage meant to act as social workers.

Fortunately the law protects everyone effectively requiring the correct information to be presented in order for an informed decision to be made.

The law also provides that undue influence is not permitted, which is likely to be more relevant when dealing with consumers who are vulnerable. 

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sorry to hear this happened but age does not mean vulnerable and she could have just said no, and if she was already in a minimum term that was all she had to say. Sounds like you as a family need to have a talk and take some responsibility to make sure that she does not respond to unsolicited sales pitches in the future.

As for the rest, there appears to be a lot of mis information in your post.

FTTP does not mean that there will not be future deals to be had, quite the opposite as that is the future where ISP's will be fighting over.

Going to FTTP also does not mean losing a landline either, for most ISP's they provide that through a digital voice service. 

If you have cancelled in the cooling off period then she most likely will just continue on the contract she was on, just check with that supplier whether the contract has been cancelled and if it has can it be rescinded.

Who was the ISP she was signed up to and was it a Curry's member of staff that sold it to her or a 3rd party concessionaire in the store? If Curry's I assume it was with Vodafone, can't see the deals as the link on their website appears to be broken.

You could write to the CEO for Currys at alexander.baldock@dixonscarphone.com
  • Pollycat said:
    Pollycat said:

My Mum (in her 70s and not tech-savvy) bought a dashcam from Curry's.

All good, but then the salesman got hold of her and slimed her into switching her broadband contract as well!

The salesman wasn't to know that your mother had a good broadband deal already.

But he could have at least asked her, or attempted to carry out some further due diligence if he wanted to sell a contract that much.

I obviously wasn't there, but if it happened more or less as the Op says it did then it appears that there wasn't enough fact-finding about the current contract by the rep before he was overcome by the smell and taste of his soon-to-be commission!
    Maybe he did ask her.

We only have a 2nd hand account of what exactly was asked, answered and said.
    Which is exactly what I said in my previous post!
    Did you?
    Where?

My Mum (in her 70s and not tech-savvy) bought a dashcam from Curry's.

All good, but then the salesman got hold of her and slimed her into switching her broadband contract as well!

The salesman wasn't to know that your mother had a good broadband deal already.

But he could have at least asked her, or attempted to carry out some further due diligence if he wanted to sell a contract that much.

I obviously wasn't there, but if it happened more or less as the Op says it did then it appears that there wasn't enough fact-finding about the current contract by the rep before he was overcome by the smell and taste of his soon-to-be commission!

I've copied it below for the hard of seeing:

"....obviously wasn't there, but if it happened more or less as the Op says it did then...."
  • la531983 said:

Fortunately the law protects everyone effectively requiring the correct information to be presented in order for an informed decision to be made.

The law also provides that undue influence is not permitted, which is likely to be more relevant when dealing with consumers who are vulnerable. 

And how do we know that the correct info WASNT presented? We have a third party account here of one side of the story.

In all honestly I am a bit sick of people using age as an excuse to get out of all sorts. Thats just a general gripe, not specifically aimed at this thread.
    We don't but that doesn't mean someone acting as, or on behalf of, a trader doesn't have a duty of care as per the legislation. 

Elderly people can be easy targets, hopefully one day you and I shall be elderly and hopefully there will be people looking out for us if we are no longer as sharp as we perhaps once were :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure