What can I do about Currys mis-selling broadband to elderly vulnerable people??

123457»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    sheramber said:

You were the one who used her age as being vulnerable. 
    No , it doesn’t matter what age a person is to be vulnerable but also, being in 70’s doesn’t automatically make a person vulnerable, which is what you post implied.
    Her AGE makes her elderly, as she is of pensionable age and over 65. By definition, that is 'elderly'. This CAN also be a vulnerability, but that doesn't matter, as she has several more vulnerability characteristics. Again, I'm not going to keep arguing these points with people who don't like the fact that they don't specifically apply in their own minds - this one isn't about you. Please look up the definitions of the words and have a look at professional websites giving their identifying characteristics.
    Even if you really do this I implied her age makes her vulnerable, what makes this wrong? What do you think elderly and vulnerable mean?  Please do the above because you are giving people wrong information by arguing against this/
    I have done.

Where did you find this definition?

This thread might have taken a different course if you had simply described your Mum as a pensioner, instead of elderly and vulnerable in the thread title.

• James_Cater
    James_Cater Posts: 20 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 December 2023 at 1:30PM
    Pollycat said:
    I have done.

Where did you find this definition?

This thread might have taken a different course if you had simply described your Mum as a pensioner, instead of elderly and vulnerable in the thread title.

OK, but almost everyone in their 70s is going to be retired and claiming a pension... Most pensioners have that limited income, and are claiming other benefits - that alone makes them vulnerable, as they may not be able to afford to live after a financial shock.

My Mum has other characteristics as well, but they're only relevant in my complaint, and my whole point here is that NOBODY should have to go through this, so if I can get that changed or at least reviewed, it will save others from their dodgy sales tactics. Currys have been fined in very similar scandals before, so there is an established record of this.

If you go to any professional/legal regulator website, such as FCA, SRA, CILEx etc you'll see how they have very strong and enforced requirements to identify vulnerable clients. I'd link to some but it won't let me post links. Or just Google "vulnerable clients".

These things aren't in place to insult anyone who doesn't see themselves as 'vulnerable' or 'elderly' - it's to stop corporations and professionals from taking advantage of people.

If you're tying a pensioner into a purchase contract to the value of £600+, then I will argue very strongly that you have a duty of care. And that's without mentioning pressure tactics, deception, omission etc.

That's why websites and communities like Moneysavingexpert are so good - because together we can all help and protect those who need it. It needs all of us to make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure