What can I do about Currys mis-selling broadband to elderly vulnerable people??

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Odd, as sending via mail, requires your to write it down.🤷‍♀️

As to losing telephone wire to house. That is something that has been rolled out for a while & all will at some point be switched over.

Well yes, but nobody has communicated by post in the last 20 years, it requires a payment from me and I don't even know how to get a stamp, these days, and don't care to find out. It's clearly an archaic form of communication that is unsuitable for the modern world (think of the trees/climate change etc!), and is far more difficult to track and verify who said what and when. And it's slowwwwwww.

As for being rolled over - I have already addressed this, and service was fine before and she was happy to be switched over on her own time and not forced by some pushy salesman.

I mean, come on - why do so many on here nit-pick so much?
    What are you on about? There’s still some official things that communicate primarily through post, and plenty that supplement other forms of communication via post.

People nit pick here because the details are important. And when someone posts a comment of ‘no one uses post any more’ it undercuts the rest of the story. 
    It's called hyperbole. Stop being a pedant.

Clearly postal mail is NOT the best or most efficient form of communication and 99.9% of the rest of the world can do it by email.

A major retail company not having an email address in 2023 is terrible customer service, and if you can't see this... well... good luck with that. Either way it's irrelevant to the rest of this post so I'm not getting into some petty argument about it.
    Perhaps have a word with DWP, tax man etc. All is done via post.

Just done a quick google & guess what it finds 🤦‍♀️

customer.services@currys.co.uk

Please take a step back & think before attacking people offering advice. As a new member you should be well aware of the rules, as they are fresh in your mind..
    Rule 1 
    👍

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs/

Life in the slow lane
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!

3. "But we don't know if the salesman did ask her!" - Let me put something else to you. I can 100% guarantee that my Mum has no idea what speed her current broadband is, let alone what she needs or why she needs certain things with it. Given that absolute fact, how were Currys able to establish they could get her a 'better deal' on broadband? Also, telling her she can end her current contract isn't technically untrue, but it's blatantly deceptive that it won't incur any early termination fees. Now, if she was only accepting their promise of 'cheaper broadband', how does a massive early exit fee factor into that??

In that case, why on earth did she sign up for something she knows nothing about?
    You now acknowledge that she may not be elderly or vulnerable but even my Mum who was 89 when she died, had enough sense to listen to me and refuse to talk to anyone who told her they could get her a better deal on whatever.
    She always referred them to me.
  • Hi.
    James_Cater said,

1. "She's not 'elderly' or 'vulnerable'!" - Ok, ok - whatever.
    maybe you should amend the thread title question.

• Pollycat said:

3. "But we don't know if the salesman did ask her!" - Let me put something else to you. I can 100% guarantee that my Mum has no idea what speed her current broadband is, let alone what she needs or why she needs certain things with it. Given that absolute fact, how were Currys able to establish they could get her a 'better deal' on broadband? Also, telling her she can end her current contract isn't technically untrue, but it's blatantly deceptive that it won't incur any early termination fees. Now, if she was only accepting their promise of 'cheaper broadband', how does a massive early exit fee factor into that??

In that case, why on earth did she sign up for something she knows nothing about?
    You now acknowledge that she may not be elderly or vulnerable but even my Mum who was 89 when she died, had enough sense to listen to me and refuse to talk to anyone who told her they could get her a better deal on whatever.
    She always referred them to me.
    Good for her!
    Have you ever met a pushy salesman promising you a cheaper better deal, before??
  • Odd, as sending via mail, requires your to write it down.🤷‍♀️

As to losing telephone wire to house. That is something that has been rolled out for a while & all will at some point be switched over.

Well yes, but nobody has communicated by post in the last 20 years, it requires a payment from me and I don't even know how to get a stamp, these days, and don't care to find out. It's clearly an archaic form of communication that is unsuitable for the modern world (think of the trees/climate change etc!), and is far more difficult to track and verify who said what and when. And it's slowwwwwww.

As for being rolled over - I have already addressed this, and service was fine before and she was happy to be switched over on her own time and not forced by some pushy salesman.

What are you on about? There’s still some official things that communicate primarily through post, and plenty that supplement other forms of communication via post.

People nit pick here because the details are important. And when someone posts a comment of ‘no one uses post any more’ it undercuts the rest of the story. 
    It's called hyperbole. Stop being a pedant.

Clearly postal mail is NOT the best or most efficient form of communication and 99.9% of the rest of the world can do it by email.

A major retail company not having an email address in 2023 is terrible customer service, and if you can't see this... well... good luck with that. Either way it's irrelevant to the rest of this post so I'm not getting into some petty argument about it.
    Perhaps have a word with DWP, tax man etc. All is done via post.

Just done a quick google & guess what it finds 🤦‍♀️

Please take a step back & think before attacking people offering advice. As a new member you should be well aware of the rules, as they are fresh in your mind..
    Rule 1 
    👍

I already have about 5 contact email addresses, thanks. Do you honestly not see an issue that Currys did not give me any of those, when I specifically asked for it?

Please take a step back before using head-slapping emotes to belittle people when accusing them of 'attacking' people. Especially when you're assuming you have information that they don't. We're supposed to be keeping this a friendly place to actually HELP people. Wind your neck in.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 21 December 2023 at 2:06PM
    Odd, as sending via mail, requires your to write it down.🤷‍♀️

Stamps are available from many places including supermarkets, card shops, etc., as well as post offices.

Ocado also sell them, and I'm sure they're probably also available with other grocery delivery services.
  • I see this is now just degenerating into people attacking me and my Mum's poor decision (made under heavy sales pressure and totally unsolicited).

These replies don't make you look clever, and are no help to anyone.

I will provide updates on outcomes from the kind and useful advice, but I'm not going to keep arguing with you about what someone should have done until we have a time machine.
  • user1977 said:
    It would probably help just to focus on whatever misleading information was given about the broadband (which would surely be an issue even for a non-vulnerable customer).

And perhaps rein in all the hyperbole.
    Totally agree - see my previous post and apologies for entertaining some of the trolls.

This is a massive system failure and should never have happened - I want to make sure it never happens again to anyone else, if I possibly can. It's not just about my Mum.
  • High pressure sales tactics are scummy. And no one is disputing that. But the remedy to that is the 14 day cooling period you get with these off site sort of contracts. In addition any legal argument has to be based on misleading and failure to provide to the new contract.

Those are your best bets. Mentioning the age/vulnerability is easily able to become messy (as it has here) and become emotive. Don’t make these arguments on emotions - it tends to lead to worse outcomes. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure