Trifle

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
95 replies 14K views

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw on a cookery programme not long since to use Panetone instead of sponge for a change.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • northwest1965northwest1965 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ok mine is not very os but it's the way everyone at home loves it.

makes one LARGE trifle
    get 2 large raspberry jam swiss rolls, cut into inch thick circles, layer up the dish.

make up a packet of raspberry jelly, i use some crushed ice in my cold water to chill it down quickly, once cool pour over the sponge and then leave to set (in fridge or cold room)

now for the un mse part :rolleyes:, get two tubs of m&s or Waitrose vanilla custard and pour over the set base, whip some double cream til stiff and top the custard.

to serve crumble a couple of flakes over the top.

if i let my hubby have the whole bowl and a giant spoon he'd be a very happy man :D

Sounds yummy! Thanks!

I did have a thought, how about a black forest trifle. Using choc swiss roll, cherries (obviously!) and then choc custard. What do you think?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • Sagz_2Sagz_2 Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I make mine with chocolate swiss roll, tinned black cherries, cherry jelly, dream topping and silver balls. You could put some booze in it as well.... Vodka would give it a kick!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • ohhhhhhh that sounds lovely northwest, thats what my dad would have as he's the cherry fan in the family!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• SeakaySeakay Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a very indulgent recipe from The Times: I use whipped cream not syllabub, trifle sponges not fingers and sometimes tinned raspberries or strawberries.
    I do think that it is always worth making custard, though, although I often use 3 whole eggs instead of loads of yolks.
    Raspberry tipsy trifle

Serves 8 Prep: 1 hour (plus minimum 4 hrs chilling) Cook: 40 min

Ingredients

For the raspberry layer: 500g fresh or frozen British raspberries; 1 tbsp fresh lime juice; 2 tbsp icing sugar.

For the custard: 1 vanilla pod; 250ml milk; 250ml whipping cream; 5 egg yolks; 1 egg; 1 tbsp caster sugar.

For the trifle: Approx 16 sponge fingers or boudoir biscuits; 6 tbsp pale cream sherry, madeira or Noilly Prat.

For the syllabub: 1 lemon; 100ml pale cream sherry; 2 tbsp brandy or whisky; 50g caster sugar; 250ml double cream.

For the decoration: Angelica, silver dragees and reserved raspberries.

Method

Begin with the syllabub. Remove the zest from the lemon in wafer-thin pieces. Place in a bowl, squeeze in the lemon juice, then add sherry and brandy. Add the caster sugar, stirring until dissolved. Cover and leave to macerate for as long possible. Strain the liquid into a mixing bowl. Add the cream gradually, whisking by hand with a globe whisk as you pour, continuing until holding soft but firm peaks. Chill, covered with clingfilm.

Next, make the raspberry sauce. Set aside 30 raspberries to scatter over the sauce and eight of the best for decoration. To make the raspberry sauce, place raspberries, lime juice and sifted icing sugar in a small pan. Warm through over a low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and slightly collapse the raspberries. Place a sieve over a bowl. Tip the contents of the pan into the sieve and force the raspberries through with the back of a wooden spoon. Stir the 30 raspberries through the sauce.

Cover the base of a glass bowl with half the sponge fingers and sprinkle over half the sherry. Spoon half the warm raspberry sauce over the top, pushing some of the raspberries to the side. Make a second layer as before. Next, begin the custard. Place the milk and cream in a saucepan with the split vanilla pod. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring constantly and remove from the heat immediately. Cover and leave to infuse. Beat the egg yolks and whole egg with the sugar until smooth and fluffy.

Remove the pod and strain the hot vanilla cream into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour back into the pan and cook over very low heat, stirring until the custard turns thick and coats the back of a spoon. This takes about 15 minutes. Pass the custard through a sieve to cover the raspberry-soaked sponge biscuits. Cover with clingfilm and leave to cool. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Spoon the syllabub over the chilled custard. Smooth with the back of a spoon and decorate with slivers of angelica, the reserved raspberries and silver dragees. Cover with clingfilm and keep cool.
  • I like toasted almond slivers on top of my trifle and the trifle made with sponge cake, jelly, custard and cream.
    With the dash of sherry too.
    ;)

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • Sagz_2Sagz_2 Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm How long 'til Christmas????
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • Not OS style at all or fit for children either, but I always make Anthony Worral-Thompsons trifle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/sherrytrifle_76387.shtml
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • My trifle, I cant remember where I got the recipie from but its always a winner!

Layer the bottom of the trifle bowl with double choc muffins sliced.
    Layer librally with Brandy
    Layer with Black Cherry Pie filling
    Layer with custard whisked with marscapone
    Layer with Whipped cream
    Grate Chocolate over the top with a few black cherries.

yum yum yum!

Kittyx

Life is sometimes a bit pants but occasionally you can wear your french knickers! :D
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We only have trifle on Christmas Day for a teatime treat, I got the job when I was about 14 and I am 48 now so they must like it.

We have Grandma's crystal trifle bowl and the recipe is secret so I would have to kill you LOL.

I put sherry on my trifle sponges and stir it into strawberry jelly, HM vanilla custard on top, nice and thick so it sets. Followed by whipped cream and sprinkles.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]